Video: Romo wanted Dak to check out of play in Bears game

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah like on 2014 when he kept Murray from getting his touches.

Wait. What?

Whoops, you beat me to it. I don't understand the revisionist history when it comes to Romo, as if fans have to defend Dak.

I personally like to see how the players' minds work. In this case, the veteran noticing something the rookie didn't. It gives some cool insight and in no way diminishes what Prescott has done unless we let it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its amazing the hate on Romo from the Dak fanboys. Dak is great and is going to learn for sure, but Romos smarts are already there, there should be no doubt hes mentally more prepared at this point in his career.
It's not necessarily hate but criticism that's overt and intensely repetitive.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
QBs love to sling that ball. Ask Aikman if he would rather have 400 yard passing games and 3 less super bowls.

Ok I'm a Dak fan as much as you but this is just silly. Romo had the better call that would have ultimately ended in a big play if it hits, instead we picked up 3 yards

rpntex

Reaction score
They are 7-1. You know why? Mainly because of SMART QB play. If you want to keep changing the play to a pass, you will end up making the game shorter, giving the other teams more opportunities, and throwing too much could lead to interceptions/fumbles/sacks/ and more 3rd and long situations.

There are times to change to a pass play, but sometimes even if they show that they are moving to a heavy defensive package, you have to stick with the play because a lot of times, they never bring house. Other times, they may crowd the line, so if you break through that first wave of defenders, you're gone.

Who said he would have changed the play to a pass? Maybe he checks into a better run play?

Point is, it didn't cost the Cowboys in this instance, but in a tighter game, this kind of thing can end up costing you heavily. A QB's job is to ALWAYS put your team in the best play for the situation.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Or he would keep checking out of runs and we would really hear the crying when Zeke doesn't get his touches. Sometimes you gotta run into unfavorable looks. Still got a couple of yards on that play...

Wow, that is some serious excuse-making there. Sometimes you gotta run into unfavorable looks? Um, why? Because the QB is incapable of getting out of said play? Great logic there. Call me crazy, but I think it's probably best to run plays that are favorable to the look being shown.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Romo is one of only a few Qb's who have the ability to read the way he does.

I understand some saying you still have to run sometimes even when it looks like they sniff out your play or to keep the defense honest BUT i prefer just switching the run play to take advantage of either them overloading the side you run too or you sniff out the blitz and where its coming from flip the play to the weak side. Still run but put your team in a better position to succeed. Romo has that ability and its a great thing that Dak has him to learn from, i am willing to bet Romo showed him what he saw when Dak got to the sideline.

I also feel in a few years we will all be very impressed with Dak's progress in reading defenses he has already improved dramatically in this area to date. This is a perfect fit of Old Lion and Young Lion you got to love it .

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Glad we have two QBs very well capable of keeping this team in Super Bowl contention!!

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I am in Romo camp I want him in. So much more he can provide us reading defenses. Dak is still young and inexperienced in most of this situations on the field. He is our future but for now Romo should be given another chance to show what he can do.

Animosity

Reaction score
I am in Romo camp I want him in. So much more he can provide us reading defenses. Dak is still young and inexperienced in most of this situations on the field. He is our future but for now Romo should be given another chance to show what he can do.

As if Romo wasnt giving a billion chances the past 10 years. At least we got those 2 playoff wins! Woooo!

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Even if they go forward with Dak as starter and Romo remains a backup, that wasn't the purpose of this thread. Folks have lost their minds and can't even discuss basic football.

Oh, don't worry, they won't. It's like it was with Romo and Bledsoe -- even before the season started, I was hearing all kinds of whispers that the best QB on the team was Romo. Why? Because he showed it every single time in practice. He is not going to be named the starter because of what he has done in the past. He is going to be named the starter because of what he does in the present.

Swanny

Reaction score
Looks like he pick d up 3 yards. You can't check out of the run every single time. You have to keep the defense honest. If this was 3rd down and they had a running play called, yeah it would be an issue worth discussing. Just some random play and they still got 3 yards, I don't see an issue. Dak is checking out of plays on a regular basis. If this one got by him, big deal. It becomes a big deal when you can see this multiple times and they lose a game partly because of it.
I agree. Even if this play gets no yards I'm not upset Dak didn't check out of it. You gotta run some plays to set up other plays.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I agree. Even if this play gets no yards I'm not upset Dak didn't check out of it. You gotta run some plays to set up other plays.
Even if in this instance the better play was checking out of it? Puhlease. Always call the better play

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Also, I understand Romo reads defenses at a high level but on this particular play he knows the play we are running, he see's the defense in man with basically 9 in the box and shifted in the direction of the play.

This is basic stuff. I'm sure Dak noticed it too and just ran the play as is.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Its amazing the hate on Romo from the Dak fanboys. Dak is great and is going to learn for sure, but Romos smarts are already there, there should be no doubt hes mentally more prepared at this point in his career.

Smarts yes. No doubt. The question is, can he control his own impulses and take the lesser play versus a boom or bust play that might actually hurt the team if it doesn't work?

dallasdave

Reaction score
Romo is one of only a few Qb's who have the ability to read the way he does.

I understand some saying you still have to run sometimes even when it looks like they sniff out your play or to keep the defense honest BUT i prefer just switching the run play to take advantage of either them overloading the side you run too or you sniff out the blitz and where its coming from flip the play to the weak side. Still run but put your team in a better position to succeed. Romo has that ability and its a great thing that Dak has him to learn from, i am willing to bet Romo showed him what he saw when Dak got to the sideline.

I also feel in a few years we will all be very impressed with Dak's progress in reading defenses he has already improved dramatically in this area to date. This is a perfect fit of Old Lion and Young Lion you got to love it .
Well said, stay thirsty my friend. :bow: