Video: Romo wanted Dak to check out of play in Bears game

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smarts yes. No doubt. The question is, can he control his own impulses and take the lesser play versus a boom or bust play that might actually hurt the team if it doesn't work?
In the past, Romo has demonstrated that he will not press necessarily if the rest of the team is performing as well as the current team is performing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Also, I understand Romo reads defenses at a high level but on this particular play he knows the play we are running, he see's the defense in man with basically 9 in the box and shifted in the direction of the play.

This is basic stuff. I'm sure Dak noticed it too and just ran the play as is.

Chances are your right but I would also add this is in the 3rd game of the season as he is gaining more experience and seeing more formations I think we will see him checking out of plays more often.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Smarts yes. No doubt. The question is, can he control his own impulses and take the lesser play versus a boom or bust play that might actually hurt the team if it doesn't work?
Godfather what do the number runners say about the game? What is the word from your street boss Don Corleone ?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Also, I understand Romo reads defenses at a high level but on this particular play he knows the play we are running, he see's the defense in man with basically 9 in the box and shifted in the direction of the play.

This is basic stuff. I'm sure Dak noticed it too and just ran the play as is.

That makes zero sense. You understand Romo reads defenses but...? But what? But he knows the play we are running? And? How does that strengthen your position that Dak should play? What are you talking about?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
In the past, Romo has demonstrated that he will not press necessarily if the rest of the team is performing as well as the current team is performing.

Understood. My most recent significant example is the Dez catch/non-catch. It was 4th and 2 or something of that nature. Did we really need a bomb to Dez on that play, especially when the defense wasn't having a good day? Would it not have been smarter to settle for a shorter pass with a chance to eat up more time on the game clock on the way to a TD? The refs called as they did, and this team had no shot after that.

rpntex

Reaction score
Looks like he pick d up 3 yards. You can't check out of the run every single time. You have to keep the defense honest. If this was 3rd down and they had a running play called, yeah it would be an issue worth discussing. Just some random play and they still got 3 yards, I don't see an issue. Dak is checking out of plays on a regular basis. If this one got by him, big deal. It becomes a big deal when you can see this multiple times and they lose a game partly because of it.

Sure you an...every single time if it puts the offense in the best play for the situation. Sure, it was inconsequential here, but it's still a big part of Dak's continuing education.

What bugs me outposts like yours is that it seems like you don't appreciate the fact that we have a QB here in Romo who has been very active in coaching Dak. According to Mark Sanchez, there's a special camaraderie in the QB room that is unique, considering just how competitive the situation has become. I'm sure Dak is very grateful for Romo's contribution to his maturation. He knows he could have easily found himself with a QB teammate like Brett Favre or Drew Bledsoe,both of whom wereNO help to Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady (respectively) when they were replaced.

I wish more fans would see that, instead of looking at things as a criticism

Ken

Reaction score
Even if they go forward with Dak as starter and Romo remains a backup, that wasn't the purpose of this thread. Folks have lost their minds and can't even discuss basic football.
I am discussing basic football...I am not into interpreting lips and intent. I was stating facts about the play.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understood. My most recent significant example is the Dez catch/non-catch. It was 4th and 2 or something of that nature. Did we really need a bomb to Dez on that play, especially when the defense wasn't having a good day? Would it not have been smarter to settle for a shorter pass with a chance to eat up more time on the game clock on the way to a TD? The refs called as they did, and this team had no shot after that.
It was a great call, a perfect pass, intended for a top three NFL wide receiver, who didn't complete the catch well enough to satisfy Blandino in New York. Personally, it still amazes me that play remains yet another sticking point for his critics.

Ken

Reaction score
Chances are your right but I would also add this is in the 3rd game of the season as he is gaining more experience and seeing more formations I think we will see him checking out of plays more often.
He has routinely and even in the Bears game changed calls at the line.

This notion that he does this all the time and it is hurting us somehow is preposterous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He has routinely and even in the Bears game changed calls at the line.

This notion that he does this all the time and it is hurting us somehow is preposterous.

I never said he was hurting the Cowboys and never said he has not changed any plays he has. What you think he is a finished product and this is as good as he will ever be? I don't I think as he gains more experience he will be able to make quicker reads be able to check out into better plays and become an even better QB.

I don't get into the Romo vs Dak BS you guys do, I like Dak I also understand he is a rookie and will only improve over time. I have said nothing or removing him from the game and replacing him with Romo. I will leave that up to the coaches and I will respect and support that call since I like both QB

Don Corleone

Reaction score
It was a great call, a perfect pass, intended for a top three NFL wide receiver, who didn't complete the catch well enough to satisfy Blandino in New York. Personally, it still amazes me that play remains yet another sticking point for his critics.

Don't get me wrong. I thought it was a perfect call also, but this is where settling for a lesser play might have been better. The odds of success are slim regardless of what down it is. Even if it is a TD, the Packers get the ball back with 4 minutes left. I don't think this team wins anyway. I do think that a methodical drive was needed there, similar to what the Cowboys did all of 2014 in every other game. Odds of success would have been much greater with the defense having less time on the field to end the game.

rpntex

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I thought it was a perfect call also, but this is where settling for a lesser play might have been better. The odds of success are slim regardless of what down it is. Even if it is a TD, the Packers get the ball back with 4 minutes left. I don't think this team wins anyway. I do think that a methodical drive was needed there, similar to what the Cowboys did all of 2014 in every other game. Odds of success would have been much greater with the defense having less time on the field to end the game.

You wouldn't be saying anything about "settling" if Dez had it been ruled a catch, and upheld. It's only because it wasn't ruled a catch that people talk about it in hindsight.

plymkr

Reaction score
Folks this isn't a bash Dak or pro Romo thread, so you don't have to get defensive about it. Just a random vid on the 'net.
I think it's a cool video because it shows Romo being involved with the game and the offense and him working with Dak.

I'm telling you, I see a QB coach title in Romo's future, hopefully with us.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Who said he would have changed the play to a pass? Maybe he checks into a better run play?

Point is, it didn't cost the Cowboys in this instance, but in a tighter game, this kind of thing can end up costing you heavily. A QB's job is to ALWAYS put your team in the best play for the situation.
Again, 7-1. Remember that.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You wouldn't be saying anything about "settling" if Dez had it been ruled a catch, and upheld. It's only because it wasn't ruled a catch that people talk about it in hindsight.
How many times do I have to say this, it would've been 4 minutes left on the clock. Catch or not, we still would have lost.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Its amazing the hate on Romo from the Dak fanboys. Dak is great and is going to learn for sure, but Romos smarts are already there, there should be no doubt hes mentally more prepared at this point in his career.

Sometimes he overthinks which can be a problem, he can take a cue from the rookie as well and trust his teammates instead of trying to reinvent every snap.

Haven't you noticed how far fewer offsides there are? How the offense seems to be more cohesive? That isn't a fluke.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Ok I'm a Dak fan as much as you but this is just silly. Romo had the better call that would have ultimately ended in a big play if it hits, instead we picked up 3 yards
You think throwing the ball for 400 yards is a winning formula? It's not, he did the right thing by running the play. All plays don't end in touch downs.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you how many times I heard the "Kill, Kill, Kill" audible, then a run up the middle for 2 yards. What exactly is the point of this thread....?

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Can Tony ball? Uhh duh. But so can Dak.
I think a lot of people aren't recognizing the success we're experiencing this season because Romo isn't at the helm. Which tells me there are a LOT of "Romo fans" before "Cowboys fans" on this forum.
Too point out Dak's mistakes like Romo hasn't done the same mistakes 100 more times, is hypocritical, and shows what a selective memory one must have to bolster their argument.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Folks this isn't a bash Dak or pro Romo thread, so you don't have to get defensive about it. Just a random vid on the 'net.
IT's a great example of the fact that despite being pretty good, Dak does still need some development in the NFL game.

Romo's got 10+years under his belt, that play is easy for him to diagnose at the line.

These are the little things that make Romo the better QB than Dak right now. BUT...the big question is mobility & durability, both of which, IMO, Dak has over Romo at the moment.

Dak can be coached/taught how to better read defenses, but Romo can't be coached/taught how to be more mobile or durable.