Romo was talking about Miles Austin per Galloway *Merge*

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Boy this Randy Galloway can really keep a secret. I emailed him about who Romo was refering to the other day as a guy that will suprise this year and he said it was Miles Austin.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq;2186847 said:
Boy this Randy Galloway can really keep a secret. I emailed him about who Romo was refering to the other day as a guy that will suprise this year and he said it was Miles Austin.

I said in that one thread for someone to email him as he used to be very good about returning emails.

Good to know that although he can be a pain at times, he still answers his emails.

sago1

Reaction score
Let's keep our fingers crossed that Austin becomes the #2 WR (or the #3) we really need opposite TO. He doesn't have to be all world but does have to show whenever he gets on the field that he's a legit target with good speed who can make the big catches including go deep. Romo prefers going with 3 WRs & I'd sure like it to be TO, Crayton & Austin with Witten also a target.

BTW: I went back and looked at the 2006 game against the Cards. What surprised me in that game and a few other 06 games was the number of times the Cowboys went with an empty backfield. I don't recall that we ever did that in 07; of course Terry Glenn didn't play that year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you for posting this. I'm sure that most would have guessed this after the Charger game. But it's nice to confirm this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like what I saw with Austin, he ran some good routs and did a great job of coming back to the ball. He needs to continue to improve and become consistent in his play but I was happy with what I saw from him Sat.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2186892 said:
I like what I saw with Austin, he ran some good routs and did a great job of coming back to the ball. He needs to continue to improve and become consistent in his play but I was happy with what I saw from him Sat.

Austin did a very good job Saturday night but he aint no Amendola, lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
adbutcher;2186899 said:
Austin did a very good job Saturday night but he aint no Amendola, lol.

I'm not going to come down on Amendola because some put these big expectations on him. This was the kids 1st outing and we will see how he responds as we move forward. Austin though I was very happy with him and hope we continue to see him play as he did.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I look at this as the best possible answer to that question. I was hoping Romo had mentioned Miles. Nothing against Hurd or anyone else in camp. It's just Miles has the best upside. He's 6-3 216 with excellent speed.

You can't coach or improve size and speed, at least not much. Most of the other skills that go into being a good/great WR can be refined or improved on.

You can improve you're route running and body control. You can improve your eye hand coordination and ability to track a football in flight.

The fact that Romo believes Miles is the most improved WR is exciting. Having his 6-3 216 frame and speed lined up opposite TO at 6-3 218 is our best case in-house solution.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If I ever see him running to the End Zone cheesing from ear to ear again his new nicname will be SMiles Austin. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dmq;2186847 said:
If Miles can keep up what he did Saturday I for one will be beyond pleased. I honestly thought the fact he was mostly a kick returner could make him expendable. After what I saw and if that really is Tony's opnion, he's anything but.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah I was starting to think after the Charger game that Austin just might be the guy he was refering to.

sacase

Reaction score
Austin will make the team no doubt but I need to see him contribute in a real game, like Sam Hurd has. Hurd impresses me because he has made big plays for us to keep the chains moving and he knows all of the reciever positions so he can fill in for anyone. Austin, not so much. But he is off to a good start lets see if he can keep it up

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sonnyboy;2186908 said:
I look at this as the best possible answer to that question. I was hoping Romo had mentioned Miles. Nothing against Hurd or anyone else in camp. It's just Miles has the best upside. He's 6-3 216 with excellent speed.

You can't coach or improve size and speed, at least not much. Most of the other skills that go into being a good/great WR can be refined or improved on.

You can improve you're route running and body control. You can improve your eye hand coordination and ability to track a football in flight.

The fact that Romo believes Miles is the most improved WR is exciting. Having his 6-3 216 frame and speed lined up opposite TO at 6-3 218 is our best case in-house solution.
:hammer:

This is definitely the best answer the team could have hoped for. Austin gives the offense the speed the others don't bring to the table.

If he continues to step up, the offense may be able to take things to another level.

Hoepfully he keeps up the great start.

Reaction score
At least in the Chargers game, Miles Austin looked a little bit like the light came on. I remember last year thinking man, Austin is fast but he doesn't look very natural as a wide receiver. He wasn't showing the body control and ability to snatch the ball out of the air the way Hurd had shown.

At least in the Chargers game, Austin looked like he was finally showing those skills. It's way too early to be too optimistic, but man it would be terrific if he put it all together this year.

Reaction score
CATCH17;2186912 said:
If I ever see him running to the End Zone cheesing from ear to ear again his new nicname will be SMiles Austin. :)

Yeah, anytime I start to lose faith in him, I remember back to that game, and I stop wishing he would be cut or traded and start wishing him well again. I hope we see a lot of those TD smiles in the future!

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
If anyone recalls the playaction roll-out against the Giants, where we brought Austin in off the bench with fresh legs late in the game. Protection broke down, and Romo got sacked before he could make the throw - but Austin absolutely burnt Sam Madison. Romo has time, he hits Austin in stride, our WR dilemma is resolved, we go on to play Green Bay, and last season isn't labeled as a failure.

Oh, hindsight.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Joshmvii;2186970 said:
At least in the Chargers game, Miles Austin looked a little bit like the light came on. I remember last year thinking man, Austin is fast but he doesn't look very natural as a wide receiver. He wasn't showing the body control and ability to snatch the ball out of the air the way Hurd had shown.

At least in the Chargers game, Austin looked like he was finally showing those skills. It's way too early to be too optimistic, but man it would be terrific if he put it all together this year.

Agreed. He looked more sure of what he was doing. He was aggressive and went up and got the ball.

If he could continue to do that AND get a little "animal" in him like TO... that would be GREAT.

I dont know where he is going and aint about to "annoint" him... but I do like his progress so far. Actually it was a nice suprise to see it.... not just hear about it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2187008 said:
Agreed. He looked more sure of what he was doing. He was aggressive and went up and got the ball.

If he could continue to do that AND get a little "animal" in him like TO... that would be GREAT.

I dont know where he is going and aint about to "annoint" him... but I do like his progress so far. Actually it was a nice suprise to see it.... not just hear about it.

One thing for sure he will be a bigger deep threat when CB knows he can do more than just run the deep rout. By showing he can cut off routs and come back for the ball strong he forces the CB to respect him

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He's had an almost Romo-like change in his ability. I can't get over how he looks like a completely different receiver. Because catching the ball, he looked just terrible even mid-season last year.

He could legitimately be a #1 receiver with his physical abilities if he can continue to do the things he did on Saturday.