Romo was talking about Miles Austin per Galloway *Merge*

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2187015 said:
One thing for sure he will be a bigger deep threat when CB knows he can do more than just run the deep rout. By showing he can cut off routs and come back for the ball strong he forces the CB to respect him

Yeah... you cant help but feel real good about his story... almost Romo-like. Young potential WR that took a few years to develop with limited to no time off the bench.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2187016 said:
He's had an almost Romo-like change in his ability. I can't get over how he looks like a completely different receiver. Because catching the ball, he looked just terrible even mid-season last year.

He could legitimately be a #1 receiver with his physical abilities if he can continue to do the things he did on Saturday.

It looked to me like he had so much more confidence than before.

Like he knows he belongs at this level and isn't overwhelmed by it anymore.

Seemed like he had a 'deer-in-the-headlights' look to him before, like he couldn't believe he was playing at the NFL level.

It looked like he knew what he was doing on Saturday.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2187020 said:
Yeah... you cant help but feel real good about his story... almost Romo-like. Young potential WR that took a few years to develop with limited to no time off the bench.

Well he and Hurd both are entering year 3 so as I have been saying improvement should be expected by them. WR, even some top ones who have played in this league will normally take 2 to 3 years for the light to come on. So Austin showing improvement does not come as a shock and is the reason I have not given up on him

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So the people who jumped up and said it was Amendola or Stanback were on crack?:confused:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2187032 said:
Well he and Hurd both are entering year 3 so as I have been saying improvement should be expected by them. WR, even some top ones who have played in this league will normally take 2 to 3 years for the light to come on. So Austin showing improvement does not come as a shock and is the reason I have not given up on him

Understood.... but expectations and showing and light coming on... well... it doesnt always happen.

I know many had Austin in this years cuts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2187036 said:
So the people who jumped up and said it was Amendola or Stanback were on crack?:confused:

Nah.

That was still ignorant.

Suffice to say that you were right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2187043 said:
Understood.... but expectations and showing and light coming on... well... it doesnt always happen.

I know many had Austin in this years cuts.

Well if the coaches did not have faith in him they would have cut him before now. What some claim around here I could care less and do not look at a player pro or con based on what folks here have to say or how critical they may be of any player. The staff is with these guys and they do know what they are doing and know what they need to stress on the individual player to help them improve. No doubt not all guys make it but you have to give them the needed time to develop and thankfully coaches tend to be more patient than most fans are.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
stasheroo;2187051 said:
Nah.

That was still ignorant.

Suffice to say that you were right.

all the signs were there -- folks not reading the signposts must have been smoking... well, you know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2187059 said:
all the signs were there -- folks not reading the signposts must have been smoking... well, you know.

Maybe they were simply mistaken?

I had picked Amendola and I'm not 'smoking' anything.

My point is that I think people can disagree without needing to be insulting.

Too often that stuff takes a good topic right down the toilet really quickly.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
stasheroo;2187069 said:
Maybe they were simply mistaken?

I had picked Amendola and I'm not 'smoking' anything.

My point is that I think people can disagree without needing to be insulting.

Too often that stuff takes a good topic right down the toilet really quickly.

And people can make a joke about someone being on crack without having to take a barrage of crap from thin-skinned posters. Toughen up.

But I do give you credit for admitting you were wrong - however, meaningless it was to be right/wrong in this situation

alby

Reaction score
Damn, Miles is 6' 3" 216?

only "2" pounds lighter than T.O.?

He doesn't look like it

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2186900 said:
I'm not going to come down on Amendola because some put these big expectations on him. This was the kids 1st outing and we will see how he responds as we move forward. Austin though I was very happy with him and hope we continue to see him play as he did.

I am not coming down on him, I was speaking more tongue in cheek.

It wasn't so long ago that most here were ready to get rid of Austin, James, Spears, etc. It is good that a little patience is paying off and I think Austin will continue to get better and so will the football God, Amendola.:)

aikemirv

Reaction score
alby;2187080 said:
Damn, Miles is 6' 3" 216?

only "2" pounds lighter than T.O.?

He doesn't look like it

He sure doesn't . I never get the impression that he is a big guy when he plays. Not sure why that is.

I agree he played a great game Saturday. I too was one that thought Hurd looked more like a WR than Austin did, but Austin has made some strides for sure. I hope he can keep it up.

I think he showed what Jerry said about the WR's in the draft. You just have a lot of potential with the guys we have on our roster that you just can't give up on yet.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well he has done it once in a exhibition game. Now he needs to keep on doing it and then do it in the regular season. BUT right now it looks very promising. If he can keep it up we will not miss Glenn much if at all.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2187059 said:
Except for the whole "unexpected" bit. With all the reports of Miles improving this was almost expected. He's been battling for the #3 spot after. I guess the unexpected part would be if he battles for the #2 spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2187078 said:
And people can make a joke about someone being on crack without having to take a barrage of crap from thin-skinned posters. Toughen up.

Why should someone need to 'toughen up'?

Because of someone else's lack of manners or upbringing?

Sorry, I don't see it.

AbeBeta said:
But I do give you credit for admitting you were wrong - however, meaningless it was to be right/wrong in this situation

Hey, I've been wrong plenty.

And I will be again.

Doesn't hurt me or cost me anything to admit when I am.

And I have no problem complimenting someone else for having a good idea or being right either.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2187120 said:
Except for the whole "unexpected" bit. With all the reports of Miles improving this was almost expected. He's been battling for the #3 spot after. I guess the unexpected part would be if he battles for the #2 spot.

yeah, but my point in that thread was that you can't really tab Austin or Hurd as "expected" because neither has done a ton in the past - especially Austin who I think has had something like 10 career passes directed at him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
stasheroo;2187137 said:
Why should someone need to 'toughen up'?

Because of someone else's lack of manners or upbringing?

Sorry, I don't see it.

Keep on keepin' on, Mr. Hypersensitive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2187147 said:
Keep on keepin' on, Mr. Hypersensitive.

And you stay classy San Diego!

http://img209.*************/img209/9885/anchorman2wi.jpg

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Thanks for the information from Randy.

Hopefully Austin can do it in the real games. There is still something about him that makes me temper my enthusiasm. I can't quite put my finger on it. Of course, I was hesitant to recognize Romo's great play in the pre-season a couple of years ago, so what do I know? :)

My guess (thinking outside the box) was Felix. He really impressed me with the swing pass. Obviously it wasn't against all the #1s for SD, but when he caught that pass I was thinking he had maybe a 5 yard gain. The next thing you know he's 20 yards down the field. That was very nice!