Romo was undrafted and Dak was a 4th rounder

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Tony Romo, undrafted. Buried behind Vinny Testaverde, Quincy Carter, and Drew Henson. He was probably cut in 2004 if not for Quincy Carter failing a drug test and being released.

Dak Prescott, drafted in the 4th round and only after GM Jerry failed to trade up for Paxton Lynch in the 1st and Connor Cook in the 4th. Dak only got the chance to start when Romo got hurt, "star" back-up Kellen Moore broke his leg, and free agent Nick Foles said no thanks, stating he'd rather be a back-up in Kansas City than a starter in Dallas.

They lucked into both. Expecting them to do it again is madness. But who knows, maybe they draft Jake Garcia out of East Carolina in the 7th round next year, he beats out freshly resigned Trey Lance and (insert any UFL QB name here) to average 3600+ yards and 24+ TD's per season just like Romo and Prescott.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Lucky to not have had to use premium picks, you're missing the point to prove a narrative to yourself
By this definition hopefully Dallas is lucky enough to win 4 playoff games again by 2039. That would be something.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tony Romo, undrafted. Buried behind Vinny Testaverde, Quincy Carter, and Drew Henson. He was probably cut in 2004 if not for Quincy Carter failing a drug test and being released.

Dak Prescott, drafted in the 4th round and only after GM Jerry failed to trade up for Paxton Lynch in the 1st and Connor Cook in the 4th. Dak only got the chance to start when Romo got hurt, "star" back-up Kellen Moore broke his leg, and free agent Nick Foles said no thanks, stating he'd rather be a back-up in Kansas City than a starter in Dallas.

They lucked into both. Expecting them to do it again is madness. But who knows, maybe they draft Jake Garcia out of East Carolina in the 7th round next year, he beats out freshly resigned Trey Lance and (insert any UFL QB name here) to average 3600+ yards and 24+ TD's per season just like Romo and Prescott.
Where did you hear that Nick Foles story at?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Where did you hear that Nick Foles story at?
He said it during an interview.

I found this print article from ESPN that touches on it.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation...eason-with-chiefs-helped-resurrect-his-career

He joined the Kansas City Chiefs and coach Andy Reid. Foles had played his rookie season in 2012 for Reid, who then coached the Philadelphia Eagles.

“It was always an opportunity where I would go to be around respect and love," Foles said after signing with the Chiefs as their backup quarterback. “Coach Reid was the guy who drafted me as a rookie. He’s a guy that I always stayed in touch with, always thought the world of.

“So as I sort of just stepped away from the game for those few days, I was able to talk to him, talk to him about how I felt. It really was only Coach Reid. That was it. I really didn’t care about any other offer. I told my agents, ‘That’s the guy I want to play for.’

Also this one...
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...hy-he-signed-with-the-chiefs-over-the-cowboys

Foles signed with Andy Reid’s Kansas City Chiefs this week, spurning the quarterback-needy Dallas Cowboys. Why? Because of the guy running the show on the sideline.

“After we got the release done with the Rams ... we had some time to think about everything," Foles said via ESPN. “It was always going to be an opportunity to be around someone I just respect and love. Coach Reid was the guy who drafted me as a rookie. He was a guy I always stayed in touch with, always thought the world of. As I sort of stepped away from the game for those few days, I was able to talk to him about how I felt and we just went through it.”

Reid was the main reason why Foles chose the Chiefs and he didn’t even consider signing elsewhere.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He said it during an interview.

I found this print article from ESPN that touches on it.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation...eason-with-chiefs-helped-resurrect-his-career

He joined the Kansas City Chiefs and coach Andy Reid. Foles had played his rookie season in 2012 for Reid, who then coached the Philadelphia Eagles.

“It was always an opportunity where I would go to be around respect and love," Foles said after signing with the Chiefs as their backup quarterback. “Coach Reid was the guy who drafted me as a rookie. He’s a guy that I always stayed in touch with, always thought the world of.

“So as I sort of just stepped away from the game for those few days, I was able to talk to him, talk to him about how I felt. It really was only Coach Reid. That was it. I really didn’t care about any other offer. I told my agents, ‘That’s the guy I want to play for.’

Also this one...
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...hy-he-signed-with-the-chiefs-over-the-cowboys

Foles signed with Andy Reid’s Kansas City Chiefs this week, spurning the quarterback-needy Dallas Cowboys. Why? Because of the guy running the show on the sideline.

“After we got the release done with the Rams ... we had some time to think about everything," Foles said via ESPN. “It was always going to be an opportunity to be around someone I just respect and love. Coach Reid was the guy who drafted me as a rookie. He was a guy I always stayed in touch with, always thought the world of. As I sort of stepped away from the game for those few days, I was able to talk to him about how I felt and we just went through it.”

Reid was the main reason why Foles chose the Chiefs and he didn’t even consider signing elsewhere.
I’ve heard the story of him going to play with Reid but never to play in Dallas.

ArtClink

Reaction score
We didn't get "lucky" as neither QB can/could get us anywhere. All we've done with these two QBs is waste 20 years.
Yeah the last twenty years were the QBs fault lol. We would have been much without Romo and Dak. We know who the blame should fall on.

plasticman

Reaction score
The starting quarterbacks in the Cowboys Super Bowls championships were Aikman and Staubach. One was the first overall pick in the draft. the other would have been the 1st overall pick in the draft if he didn't graduate from a military academy with a six year commitment.

Out of 58 Super Bowls, the winning quarterback was a 1st round pick 32 times or 52% of the time. They were the #1 overall pick 18 of those times.

Only five quarterbacks in NFL history that were drafted below the 3rd round has ever won a Super Bowl. They are Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann and Brad Johnson. With the exception of Brady, the QB's team had the #1 defense in either points or yards.

Only one undrafted quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl, Kurt Warner.

The bottom line is, without a QB drafted with a premium pick, the odds of winning a Super Bowl is significantly reduced and would still require the dominant defense of that season. That is, unless a team stumbled upon the next Tom Brady.

btgboys41

Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
I appreciate your post. I think the Dak and Romo posts require more nuance because they are very different scenarios. Romo was luck but Dak is exactly what he looked like when he was drafted in my opinion. Romo turning out to be very good is not what was lucky. We were lucky we had great coaches at that time who could recognize his talent as worthy of developing.

I’d love for the team to move on from Dak and prioritize getting another QB. However, I don’t think they will. Jerry has always intended to sign Dak but he’s getting way too much coverage by allowing things to drag. Either coverage or camp will dry first and he will be signed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The starting quarterbacks in the Cowboys Super Bowls championships were Aikman and Staubach. One was the first overall pick in the draft. the other would have been the 1st overall pick in the draft if he didn't graduate from a military academy with a six year commitment.

Out of 58 Super Bowls, the winning quarterback was a 1st round pick 32 times or 52% of the time. They were the #1 overall pick 18 of those times.

Only five quarterbacks in NFL history that were drafted below the 3rd round has ever won a Super Bowl. They are Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann and Brad Johnson. With the exception of Brady, the QB's team had the #1 defense in either points or yards.

Only one undrafted quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl, Kurt Warner.

The bottom line is, without a QB drafted with a premium pick, the odds of winning a Super Bowl is significantly reduced and would still require the dominant defense of that season. That is, unless a team stumbled upon the next Tom Brady.
The best teams win the SB. You can’t avoid that. Drafting a qb with a premium pick doesn’t make up for your lack of quality in the trenches and your lack of toughness. Romo and Dak were good enough to be champions. The teams however weren’t. Even if they got out of the first round they would’ve eventually got smacked up due to their lack of physicality….

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
Jones boys and most fans are afraid to find another QB!!
It isnt easy but can be done , they are out there.

Let me use and example.
What if purdy had been cut or traded before he ever started.
He would just be out there on a practice squad , or on a couch, or bkup somewhere.

I liked the hohensee guy, but he probably never gets a shot to show what he can do.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I appreciate your post. I think the Dak and Romo posts require more nuance because they are very different scenarios. Romo was luck but Dak is exactly what he looked like when he was drafted in my opinion. Romo turning out to be very good is not what was lucky. We were lucky we had great coaches at that time who could recognize his talent as worthy of developing.

I’d love for the team to move on from Dak and prioritize getting another QB. However, I don’t think they will. Jerry has always intended to sign Dak but he’s getting way too much coverage by allowing things to drag. Either coverage or camp will dry first and he will be signed.
Well we will find out by time season starts.
Jerry if he really wants to blow it up should trade lamb and try to trade dak before deadline.
That would get a lot of attention !! Fans would be talking for months, media too.

Some say gotta keep the core, but what if the core is rotten ? or just played out.
To me it is pointless to do this season like they are and blow it up next season with new HC etc, and keep the same rotten core.
Also since that core would cost half the cap to keep, it is detrimental to the team as far as building a new better team.

gtb1943

Reaction score
QB has only been the real problem for a fraction of the time Jethro has been GM. Between Romo and Dak since 2006 we have had very good to excellent QB play.
when you see the names Flacco, Dilger, Brad Johnson, Joe Theisman, and others as being the QB of world championship teams you KNOW we have had good enough QB to win it all.
Joe Gibbs won three SBs each with Above average at best QB play. They did NOT have a great Defense. a very good one and a top O line but that is all
For the vast majority of the last 18 years we have had the QB play if the rest of the organization had done its part
From Jethro and his entitled culture and Coaches that simply are not all that; to defenses that simply never did it when it really mattered.
Now not to say that QB play has always been what was needed when we needed it; but the VAST majority of the time it has not been the real reason our seasons ended when they did

plasticman

Reaction score
The best teams win the SB. You can’t avoid that. Drafting a qb with a premium pick doesn’t make up for your lack of quality in the trenches and your lack of toughness. Romo and Dak were good enough to be champions. The teams however weren’t. Even if they got out of the first round they would’ve eventually got smacked up due to their lack of physicality….
A team (Giants) with the 27th ranked defense, 29th in pass defense, won a Super Bowl. their QB (Manning), drafted #1 overall, was the MVP.

Another team (Raiders) won the Super Bowl with the16th ranked offense and 11th ranked defense. Their QB (Plunkett) was the MVP and he was drafted #1 overall.

Not only were the Colts ranked 21st in defense, their offensive running game was ranked 32nd, dead last. They won their Super Bowl and their QB (Manning) was MVP. He was drafted #1 overall.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A team (Giants) with the 27th ranked defense, 29th in pass defense, won a Super Bowl. their QB (Manning), drafted #1 overall, was the MVP.

Another team (Raiders) won the Super Bowl with the16th ranked offense and 11th ranked defense. Their QB (Plunkett) was the MVP and he was drafted #1 overall.

Not only were the Colts ranked 21st in defense, their offensive running game was ranked 32nd, dead last. They won their Super Bowl and their QB (Manning) was MVP. He was drafted #1 overall.
So your belief is the Giants won the SB because they drafted Eli first overall? I just don’t agree. Giants were great in the trenches….Eli made some timely throws but nothing historical.

Not sure what Giants team you are referencing but in 2007 in the post season they allowed 74 yards on the ground….

In 2011 they gave up 111 rushing yards…11 sacks through the playoffs…..seems like they turned up when the lights got bright.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Two serviceable QBs but didn't perform well on the big stage. For example
Eli Manning was a top draft pick a decent franchise QB but by no means was a Brady or Mahomes. But he found another gear in the playoffs and stepped up his game. That's what pedigree brings! Eli went on the road in the playoffs and had like an 8 TD to 1int. And dont tell me it was all defense that won those. The difference between a guy like Romo or Dak vs Eli is basically their ceiling. With today's college coaching programs going to a more passing offense and all the training and coaching along with technology and scouting. A Dak replacement shouldn't be that hard to find. But it's a QB that is talented and capable of winning a SB that is harder to find.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
After that Green Bay game I am ready for something different. Would not mind taking a shot on someone with some pedigree.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Be nice to me it's too hot here in PA for this lol
Too hot ?????? :laugh:

Too hot?????? :lmao:

Surely you aren't saying that to a bunch of Texans ! :facepalm:

As far as Romo and Dak are concerned I have nothing profound to say other than there have been plenty of 1st round, even top 5, busts and these 2 were in the right positions to survive. Dak had a fabulous OL and RB in '16 that bought him some time to build on his talent and cover some of his weaknesses. Romo was noticed by the Tuna and was a natural passer who grew into a better QB. Neither was fabulous, both had warts, both have been on Cowboy teams with potential that they couldn't carry the team and both lacked the coaching to help this team go to The Big Dance!

Coaching has always been one of both of their warts. Blame Jerrah, who incidentally is a wart, because picking coaching that is quality and innovative enough to prepare this team to be an ultimate winner falls squarely on the GM's shoulders. The buck stops there !

While we're at it do y'all think Purdy would excel under any other HC but Shanahan? Those really good HC's aren't just everywhere but if you're IN the League you'll know them, even Jerrah. I'll never forget him saying he could take 500 different coaches and win a SB.

Rinse all that through your supporter !