Romo was undrafted and Dak was a 4th rounder

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I really don't think it's pure coincidence that a good Cowboy team ended up finding a 4th round Dak Prescott. i don't think it's pure coincidence that the 49ers found a 7th round Brock Purdy. I don't think it's pure coincidence that Seattle found a Geno Smith that no one wanted. I don't think its pure coincidence that Tampa Bay found a Baker Mayfield no one wanted. I don't think it's pure coincidence that Matt Stafford won a super bowl in LA after struggling to make the playoffs in Detroit year after year. I don't think it's pure coincidence that Tua's numbers explode after getting Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle on the same team. I don't think it's pure coincidence that Cleveland got to the post season with Joe Flacco and Dorian Thompson-Robinson. I don't think it's pure coincidence that Philly found a 2nd round Jalen Hurts. I don't think its a coincidence that Jared Goff is once again looked at as a top QB now that Detroit has some actual talent on that offense.

Is it always easy to replace a QB? Absolutely not. With that said though teams that have pretty good rosters that don't depend on a QB to carry them all the time end up finding replacements a whole lot easier.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Purdy was the last pick, TB12 was a 6th round pick or something and countless #1 overall QB's have failed miserably. There is much more to a QB success story than the position they were drafted in

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
#Lance

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's fine I'm just saying people expect us to be 3-14 and get a good draft pick to use it on a QB knowing we haven't done that in ages
Because they haven’t had to.

Romo into Prescott has allowed this front office charade to continue for as long as it has.

You want to wager on finding another QB without a premium pick happening again?

Even so, as I replied to you in the other thread, neither one has found their way past the wild card round of the playoffs. While it may have worked well for Jerry and his wallet, it hasn’t for fans who wish to make deep playoff runs.

They were absolutely blessed with those two and had no idea what to do with it or how to handle it. Completely blew it fact.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
We got extremely lucky with both of them. However, it took five years and some real lean seasons before Romo came along. We ended up wasting a second and a third round pick on QBs before Romo came along. Dak was complete luck. We tried moving back into the first round for Paxton Lynch but thank goodness we couldn’t do it. We also tried trading up for Connor Cook. Both those QBs NFL careers were over in no time. If you think we’re going get lucky every time like that, good luck!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IF you are talking SB winning QBs those not drafted in the first rd are very few
Warner, Brady, Brees, maybe one or two others

IF you are talking about franchise QBs then the boys definitely got lucky with Romo and Dak

BUT Romo was only here because Payton convinced BP to give him a shot
and Dak got picked after Paxton Lynch was drafted before we could pick him; and then Connor Cook also got taken before we could pick him
THAT IS PURE LUCK
Crazy to think we could’ve ended up with two guys out of the league. Scary.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Lance isn't the guy WE GO TO THE TOP AND DRAFT A QB FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 35 YEARS!!
CHAMPIONSHIP!
(and I mean it)

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Jerry’s scouting team really had nothing to do with Romo. He came here because of Sean Payton who noticed his play because both went to the same college. So you could say Jerry just lucked into Dak I guess.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why are we still comparing Dak to Romo? It doesn't matter! Romo was no measuring stick. Dak reached that goal post his rookie season.

leeblair

Reaction score
Romo could have been great if Jerry hadn't hired Jason Garrett right after he took over as the starter.
Garrett's incompetence destroyed what Parcells had built in Romo and the offense.
So it's not about where you are picking, but knowing (a) What to look for, and (b) how to coach them after you get them.
I think Dak was a bad pick by an incompetent coach and made worse by Garrett's coaching. And during that time Garrett had a better quarterback in Kellen Moore and couldn't see it because he was so incompetent.
I think McCarthy could bring along a new quarterback and build a winner if he would not kiss up to Jerry the way he did in his press conference after not getting fired last season.
So in the end, if the coaching is there and the talent evaluation is there, it doesn't matter where you pick.

shabazz

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to wait until the latest experiment with Tre Tre is completed to decide if 4th rounders or higher has been successful here

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We didn't get "lucky" as neither QB can/could get us anywhere. All we've done with these two QBs is waste 20 years.
Look at the Aikman and Staubach teams that won SBs, the White teams that went to conference championships. Those teams were much more balanced…excellent RBs, WRs, OLs. Successful Cowboys teams had staunch defenses known for their DLs.

Romo and Dak have had stars on offense. Our defense and offense recently have both been one dimensional, passing and pass defense good; run game and run defense not good.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
4 playoff wins in 15 years = Lucky?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Why are we still comparing Dak to Romo? It doesn't matter! Romo was no measuring stick. Dak reached that goal post his rookie season.
And where did he go from there?
I will answer the question you probably refuse to:
NO FURTHER

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB.
Well, considering the last two worth anything were afterthoughts, yes, it will be hard.

We have been incredibly fortunate. As much as Romo and Prescott have been frustrating, we should be quite thankful we have not had to play the QB game that so many franchises have had to do.

Please do not make me have to list off the Rogue's Gallery of highly-regarded QBs that attracted the interest of our "General Manager" since he drafted Quincy Carter.

It is rather grotesque. But since you appear to have a problem understanding history, here you are.

Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
Johnny Manziel
Drew Henson

It will be especially hard to evaluate the position when we have no infrastructure in place to do so.

The Great Will McClay is not a QB expert.

GINeric

Reaction score

So in between the times of Aikman and Romo.... tell me how lucky we were at quarterback if it was so easy.

I'll wait....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
So in between the times of Aikman and Romo.... tell me how lucky we were at quarterback if it was so easy.

I'll wait....
We were lucky to not have to use high draft capital to get a Romo or Dak