Romo was undrafted and Dak was a 4th rounder

gtb1943

Reaction score
Two serviceable QBs but didn't perform well on the big stage. For example
Eli Manning was a top draft pick a decent franchise QB but by no means was a Brady or Mahomes. But he found another gear in the playoffs and stepped up his game. That's what pedigree brings! Eli went on the road in the playoffs and had like an 8 TD to 1int. And dont tell me it was all defense that won those. The difference between a guy like Romo or Dak vs Eli is basically their ceiling. With today's college coaching programs going to a more passing offense and all the training and coaching along with technology and scouting. A Dak replacement shouldn't be that hard to find. But it's a QB that is talented and capable of winning a SB that is harder to find.
P Manning never really stepped up in the playoffs; his career playoff stats are significantly below his regular season stats
THe SB he won with the colts came more due to the defense; Bob Sanders for one of the few times in his career was healthy in the playoffs and several others as well; while the season stats for that D were bad, look at what it did in the playoffs.

Helmet play ring a bell? Play before it Samuels drops a pick that hit his hands?
Yeah anyone claiming it was Eli doing it that game is a joke. The Pats had the NFL's all time leading offense that season and the Giant D held it to 14 pts

pitt33

Reaction score
The starting quarterbacks in the Cowboys Super Bowls championships were Aikman and Staubach. One was the first overall pick in the draft. the other would have been the 1st overall pick in the draft if he didn't graduate from a military academy with a six year commitment.

Out of 58 Super Bowls, the winning quarterback was a 1st round pick 32 times or 52% of the time. They were the #1 overall pick 18 of those times.

Only five quarterbacks in NFL history that were drafted below the 3rd round has ever won a Super Bowl. They are Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann and Brad Johnson. With the exception of Brady, the QB's team had the #1 defense in either points or yards.

Only one undrafted quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl, Kurt Warner.

The bottom line is, without a QB drafted with a premium pick, the odds of winning a Super Bowl is significantly reduced and would still require the dominant defense of that season. That is, unless a team stumbled upon the next Tom Brady.
Great stuff.

I’m convinced this team will never win another SB (or even reach one), until they get another high pedigree quarterback.

I’ve never been more sure about anything in my life.

Just hope I live long enough to see it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Two serviceable QBs but didn't perform well on the big stage. For example
Eli Manning was a top draft pick a decent franchise QB but by no means was a Brady or Mahomes. But he found another gear in the playoffs and stepped up his game. That's what pedigree brings! Eli went on the road in the playoffs and had like an 8 TD to 1int. And dont tell me it was all defense that won those. The difference between a guy like Romo or Dak vs Eli is basically their ceiling. With today's college coaching programs going to a more passing offense and all the training and coaching along with technology and scouting. A Dak replacement shouldn't be that hard to find. But it's a QB that is talented and capable of winning a SB that is harder to find.
That gear was his Defense.

chagus

Reaction score
IF you are talking SB winning QBs those not drafted in the first rd are very few
Warner, Brady, Brees, maybe one or two others

IF you are talking about franchise QBs then the boys definitely got lucky with Romo and Dak

BUT Romo was only here because Payton convinced BP to give him a shot
and Dak got picked after Paxton Lynch was drafted before we could pick him; and then Connor Cook also got taken before we could pick him
THAT IS PURE LUCK
I wanted Paxton Lynch. Goes to show what i know about drafting QBs. Also, absolutely agree... "PURE LUCK". Nothing more.

shabazz

Reaction score
Great stuff.

I’m convinced this team will never win another SB (or even reach one), until they get another high pedigree quarterback.

I’ve never been more sure about anything in my life.

Just hope I live long enough to see it.
I wouldn't bet against you!

Havic

Reaction score
Romo was absolutely pure luck. Dak was a draft pick so the team saw something in him

Chasing6

Reaction score
IF you are talking SB winning QBs those not drafted in the first rd are very few
Warner, Brady, Brees, maybe one or two others

IF you are talking about franchise QBs then the boys definitely got lucky with Romo and Dak

BUT Romo was only here because Payton convinced BP to give him a shot
and Dak got picked after Paxton Lynch was drafted before we could pick him; and then Connor Cook also got taken before we could pick him
THAT IS PURE LUCK

Quarterbacks taken with the First Pick Rarely Lead the Team that Drafted Them to the Super Bowl​

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/articles/view/quarterbacks-taken-with-the-first-pick-rarely-lead-the-team-that-drafted-them-to-the-super-bowl#:~:text=In the drafts that directly,taken home a Lombardi Trophy.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So your belief is the Giants won the SB because they drafted Eli first overall? I just don’t agree. Giants were great in the trenches….Eli made some timely throws but nothing historical.

Not sure what Giants team you are referencing but in 2007 in the post season they allowed 74 yards on the ground….

In 2011 they gave up 111 rushing yards…11 sacks through the playoffs…..seems like they turned up when the lights got bright.
that giants D was injured all season and got healthy in the playoffs.. anyone who doesnt think that D-line was one of the best is kidding themselves..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
that giants D was injured all season and got healthy in the playoffs.. anyone who doesnt think that D-line was one of the best is kidding themselves..
Ahh you’re right I forgot about that until you mentioned it. Explains why when the playoffs came around they were playing good ball.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Romo was absolutely pure luck. Dak was a draft pick so the team saw something in him
Are you forgetting Jethro was fixated on Paxton Lynch and when he could not get him went after Connor Cook and WHEN he did not get him took Dak?
Tell me that is not luck

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
For years now, I've been a believer that there is more QB talent down roster in the NFL than there are starting slots to play them, and the smart play is to seriously farm that talent on the cheap, and as QB salaries take a higher and higher percentage of cap, that's the smarter play every year.
Romo might have never gotten his chance. Dak too. Romo in particular could have just busted out of the league. I'd bet on there being downroster QBs in the league who aren't getting their chance.
Having said what the right play is, we haven't done that. To do that you should be spending picks and roster spots to carry developmental QBs and churn them. Lance was a step in that direction, but where are the other guys?
We even supposedly have the QB Whisperer on the team, a HC who has QB camps. He was the guy to develop QBs with, but we didn't invest in it in any serious way.
Lance is a funny one too. We don't even have his contract, so he seems more like some *this year* option in case we trade Dak. Not to win, but a guy old JJ Barnum could hype, keeping him and the Cowboys in the headlines.
The other option with Lance is hoping he looks great in the preseason and we can trade him for premium picks to a desperate team. Again, a *this year* option.
Lance is just not a future option because it's his contract year and I can't see his performance jumping to be worth a franchise tag to anyone.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Last time we won a SB we had a real coach.
Last time we won a SB we had Emmitt Smith.
Last time we won a SB we had the best cornerback of all time…..

You can literally do this forever lol.
Barry was not as good as Jimmy but for that short period of time was good enough; it was Troy and Michael and Haley and others that gave the necessary leadership to win that last SB