Romo was undrafted and Dak was a 4th rounder

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Are you forgetting Jethro was fixated on Paxton Lynch and when he could not get him went after Connor Cook and WHEN he did not get him took Dak?
Tell me that is not luck
Dak was luck it was odd though because they liked him and brought him in for workouts….i always wondered if they would’ve taken two quarterbacks that year…highly unlikely but I will say all offseason it was leaked the really liked Dak….so the news about Connor Cook was shocking.

Adreme

Reaction score
Let’s make it easy. If you rank the top 10 QBs in football you are going to have Dak and then 8 or 9 first round QBs. The only 2 you could argue for that 10th spot are Love, Hurts, and Purdy.

So yes hypothetically you can find a great QB in any round but it is overwhelmingly more likely you find them in the first and often in the top 10.

gtb1943

Reaction score
For years now, I've been a believer that there is more QB talent down roster in the NFL than there are starting slots to play them, and the smart play is to seriously farm that talent on the cheap, and as QB salaries take a higher and higher percentage of cap, that's the smarter play every year.
Romo might have never gotten his chance. Dak too. Romo in particular could have just busted out of the league. I'd bet on there being downroster QBs in the league who aren't getting their chance.
Having said what the right play is, we haven't done that. To do that you should be spending picks and roster spots to carry developmental QBs and churn them. Lance was a step in that direction, but where are the other guys?
We even supposedly have the QB Whisperer on the team, a HC who has QB camps. He was the guy to develop QBs with, but we didn't invest in it in any serious way.
Lance is a funny one too. We don't even have his contract, so he seems more like some *this year* option in case we trade Dak. Not to win, but a guy old JJ Barnum could hype, keeping him and the Cowboys in the headlines.
The other option with Lance is hoping he looks great in the preseason and we can trade him for premium picks to a desperate team. Again, a *this year* option.
Lance is just not a future option because it's his contract year and I can't see his performance jumping to be worth a franchise tag to anyone.
Circumstances count a lot with QBs. The top picks always go to lousy teams with a few exceptions.
All too often those lousy teams are lousy because of the Front Office
and nothing changes

QBs taken and going to terrible teams and never getting a decent shot

Diamonds in the rough never getting a chance to get polished

gtb1943

Reaction score
Dak was luck it was odd though because they liked him and brought him in for workouts….i always wondered if they would’ve taken two quarterbacks that year…highly unlikely but I will say all offseason it was leaked the really liked Dak….so the news about Connor Cook was shocking.
I kind of wonder if that DUI dak got might have had something to do with them going after others first

Chasing6

Reaction score
Are you forgetting Jethro was fixated on Paxton Lynch and when he could not get him went after Connor Cook and WHEN he did not get him took Dak?
Tell me that is not luck
Well they seem something in Romo or he would not have been picked up and the highest paid undrafted player.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
It is easy just look at all the first round success out there.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Circumstances count a lot with QBs. The top picks always go to lousy teams with a few exceptions.
and nothing changes

Ask joe burrow how his 1st season went, compared to daks.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I kind of wonder if that DUI dak got might have had something to do with them going after others first
Very well could’ve between that and that fight maybe there were questions….but it’s weird I guess there was questions are far as taking him higher than the 4th.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Very well could’ve between that and that fight maybe there were questions….but it’s weird I guess there was questions are far as taking him higher than the 4th.
I think they Niners stumbled on to something with Purdy. However, most dumb GM's will keep taking the low floor how ceiling athletic QB that can run.

Because it is a reflection of Tom Brady. You know the greatest QB of all time.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You mean to tell me it's going to be hard to find another QB. We didn't even have to use a premium pick as they call it to get a QB. We've actually gotten lucky with our last two QBs of this team. Yes it would be hard to replace someone who has developed from the 4th round/being undrafted, but anything is possible. Let's not make this harder than what it needs to be. Please give your thoughts
It's pathetic.

Havic

Reaction score
Tell me that is not luck
It is, but drafting and UDFA are two completely different things

GINeric

Reaction score

If finding a quarterback in any round was as easy as you're making it seem.... why has teams like Washington, Jets, and a few others gone YEARRRRRSSS without a good quarterback?

Jfconrow

Reaction score
There are a lot of good qbs in the draft this year if they let Dak walk, also Lance was a 4th rounder. Don’t expect them to be better then Dak, maybe in a few years and probably more arm strength but not the every game consistency.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There are a lot of good qbs in the draft this year if they let Dak walk, also Lance was a 4th rounder. Don’t expect them to be better then Dak, maybe in a few years and probably more arm strength but not the every game consistency.
Trance was not a 4th rounder. We gave up a 4th round pick and had him for a year and a half. A 4th round pick is on your roster for 4 years. It is not the same thing. Also we paid significant more for Trance than we would have for a 4th round pick.

It is nothing even close to being the same.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
and nothing changes

Interesting point there.