Romo worshipers, don't bust an artery, but what if the Cowboys are 9-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You have paraphrased incorrectly.

I am saying that this team is bigger than Tony Romo and it's well within the realm of possibilities that Weeden is every bit as successful as Tony Romo.

I don't hate Tony. I didn't hate Craig Morton....Gary Hogeboom.....Steve Walsh....

...but I have every right to want a quarterback that will get the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. That might still be Tony Romo and I hope it is. Seriously....Weeden has a good arm...not Romo's intangibles, but what if....I just posted an article describing Jerry Jones's belief that Romo was not an upgrade and the Cowboys could no longer expect to be considered a contender....the owner/GM....." "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. ... That to me is a step back."

Okay, that was Jerry Jones, if you want to rant against a Romo Hater, there you go....

I had a similar discussion 35 years ago when the starter, a 1st round pick that started in Super Bowl V, was being challenged by a guy that had not been in the game for six years. He was serving in the navy aboard a ship off the coast of Vietnam. My friend insisted there was no way....NO WAY...this guy should replace Craig Morton. This guy was so erratic that he would run with the ball instead of finding an open receiver, proof, my friend insisted, that he was a college quarterback that could never adjust to the NFL.

I don't need to tell you how that turned out...I hope.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but the chance that Weeden comes in and plays anywhere remotely close to how Romo played for the majority of his career is slim to none. It hardly justifies it's own thread.

I also really enjoy the beating Jerry Jones takes for his terrible quotes, until it fits someone's agenda. All of a sudden it's, "Well, here's what Jerry Jones said 10 years ago...".

We got extremely lucky that Romo turned out to be the QB he is today. An undrafted FA QB playing at his level for so long is nearly unheard of in this league. It's also nearly unheard of that a first round bust QB goes to another team and the light comes on and he plays up to his draft status. If it has happened in the past, it's an exception.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Within the realm of possibility, for Christ sake....it's not impossible. There is a probability, even if you consider it to be exponentially fractional...that Weeden does great, is that a disappointing prospect?

Again, does this justify it's own thread? You can make a thread like this about any player in the league because you can argue "There's a slim chance it might happen".

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, by the way, I was never kicked off the scout board and I was never banned.

I didn't go off the deep end. I frequent these boards because I want to have interesting and intelligent discussions about my favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys. I enjoy a good debate with those who have an open mind and an ability to look at different perspectives.

There isn't a lot of that at most boards. I see a lot of attitudes where, rather than provide information that might dispute a claim, they resort to personal attacks. It's more work to research and find evidence to support a belief that is being challenged, far easier to insult a poster, accuse him of not being a fan, label him a troll or hater in the hopes of creating a board wide hostility.

In such an environment, the greatest sin is to criticize Tony Romo, truth is irrelevant. There is always a small group of fans that have less than a decade of experience watching the Cowboys play and their favorite guy is Tony Romo, an attack on him is an attack on them. As far as they are concerned Tony Romo is the Dallas Cowboys.

Furthermore, a quarterback is either in the top 5 or 6 or they totally suck, big stat numbers rule. They don't seem to understand that the job and only goal of a quarterback is to help their team win. If it's handing the ball off to the RB 60 times then they need to do that well and if their team wins then he is a successful QB.

If a poster disagrees with me , then that's fine, I'll respect them when they can explain and justify why they disagree, perhaps provide an example that contradicts my position. However when a poster offers northing but an insult, they are telling the board that they don't like my opinion mostly because they can't dispute it, they are exposed by the truth and they must deflect this by attacking the messenger. It's intellectually lazy.

LOL, I would spend hours analyzing stats with a spread sheet only to have some poster respond by telling me my opinions are krap.....often, I never expressed an opinion, simply detailed the statistical information. There was no opinion to dispute.

I'm here because I was told this is a more serious board, fans here have a more sophisticated outlook on the game, a respect for the team's history and the quality of this present team.

You made an antagonistic thread and you didn't even have 100 posts at the time.

How about just contributing to some posts here for awhile before creating this type of nonsense thread???

AzorAhai

Reaction score
What if a Martian flies out of my butt and sings Mary Had a Little Lamb, leading to the surrender of ISIS due to them being trumped by real terror?

Then you'll probably get a medal or something. Of course you'll probably have hemorrhoids too, but hey, who's counting?

endersdragon

Reaction score
I think a more realistic scenario would be us continually winning on the backs of our defense and getting to 8-2 or so

Derinyar

Reaction score
When Romo is healthy unless Weeden has suddenly become the best QB in the league magically then Romo gets the reins back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most everyone ran the ball then. 15-19 passes sounds about normal without looking it up.

I haven't looked it up but I doubt any team in the 70's passed the ball fewer times than the Dolphins during their championship seasons in the early 70's. They had 8 games during their 72 undefeated season in which they rushed for over 200 yards and one 300 yard rushing game. Everything they did on offense revolved around Czonka, Kiik and Morris. Griese only broke 200 yards passing ONCE in 72 and 73. In Miami's SB win over Minn in 73 Griese only attempted 7 passes and Miami won in a blowout.

The year prior in Miami's win over Washington Griese only attempted 11 passes. Hard to believe a team could win back to back SB's with their QB only attempting 18 total passes. Miami's lack of passing during those years has many questioning Griese's HOF credentials. His name comes up on a lot of lists of players many feel don't deserve to be in the HOF.

Last edited:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I haven't looked it up but I doubt any team in the 70's passed the ball fewer times than the Dolphins during their championship seasons in the early 70's. They had 8 games during their 72 undefeated season in which they rushed for over 200 yards and one 300 yard rushing game. Everything they did on offense revolved around Czonka, Kiik and Morris. Griese only broke 200 yards passing ONCE in 72 and 73. In Miami's SB win over Minn in 73 Griese only attempted 7 passes and Miami won in a blowout.

The year prior in Miami's win over Washington Griese only attempted 11 passes. Hard to believe a team could win back to back SB's with their QB only attempting 18 total passes. Miami's lack of passing during those years has many questioning Griese's HOF credentials. His name comes up on a lot on lists of players many feel don't deserve to be in the HOF.

Griese had the ultimate luxury bus to drive. He had some good years when the team was not as dominant but I too think he should be in the Hall of the Very Good not the HOF.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Dallas ran the ball roughly 5/9 plays and the Fins 6/9 times in 1972. The pass/run ration in 1972 for all teams was 45/55 and all those are round but very close figures.

These are figures from 71-78:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%207.56.33%20PM_zpstkocxbfa.png

So there are teams definitely more run heavy but the Fins weren't even on the top in 72.

In 78 the Blount rule changed the game. The pass ration has gone up from 47% in 1970 to 57% in 2011 but it also went up considerably in the early game. In fact it has gone up steadily since the 60s with a slight downturn in 66.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sorry, I stopped reading where I got to the part about "Weeden leading the Cowboys to the SuperBowl".

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Apparently some are on whatever Jerry's been on since his second hip replacement because the more players the Cowboys lose the more some are convinced this is their year. Jerry just commented "you won't see a more gifted passer than Brandon Weeden." Not sure he was sober when he made that comment but it has a few here pretty juiced up.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Hay Romo oh no worshipers! We trade Tyron Smits, Traverse Federix, and Sacks Marlins for a real QB like Eli? Howz bout it Romos worshipers?

/This is what this thread premise sounded like to me.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Apparently some are on whatever Jerry's been on since his second hip replacement because the more players the Cowboys lose the more some are convinced this is their year. Jerry just commented "you won't see a more gifted passer than Brandon Weeden." Not sure he was sober when he made that comment but it has a few here pretty juiced up.

So he's talking about his ball not his game. He's got some zip on those ropes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dallas ran the ball roughly 5/9 plays and the Fins 6/9 times in 1972. The pass/run ration in 1972 for all teams was 45/55 and all those are round but very close figures.

These are figures from 71-78:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202015-09-24%20at%207.56.33%20PM_zpstkocxbfa.png

So there are teams definitely more run heavy but the Fins weren't even on the top in 72.

In 78 the Blount rule changed the game. The pass ration has gone up from 47% in 1970 to 57% in 2011 but it also went up considerably in the early game. In fact it has gone up steadily since the 60s with a slight downturn in 66.

That's surprising I wouldn't have guessed that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So he's talking about his ball not his game. He's got some zip on those ropes.

I'm sure he was referring to that but he could have said it another way. When you say you won't see a more "gifted passer" you think Dan Marino and those who had prolific passing games and great careers. Jeff George threw the most beautiful ball that most around the NFL had ever seen but he couldn't win consistently. Even Warren Moon who could spin it with anyone said he never saw a more beautiful ball than Jeff George produced. They had a round table discussion on this subject with several GM's and former NFL coaches and they all agreed no QB they ever saw could throw a football like Jeff George.

Status
Not open for further replies.