Romo worshipers, don't bust an artery, but what if the Cowboys are 9-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slashar00

Reaction score
Don't disrespect Bledsoe like that. Bledsoe lived up to his first rd pick status, He was a very good qb until age and injuries kicked in.

I didn't disrespect Bledsoe. I said Romo is better than Bledsoe, and Bledsoe was a very good QB in his prime. But when he got replaced by Brady and Romo, he was only above average, getting replaced by a future franchise QB. Weeden is not the next Romo, and Romo is not the next Bledsoe.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember when Vinny took over and everyone was questioning the move Parcells said you won't see many QBS who can throw a better ball than Vinny. He was trying to get everyone more excited about Vinny taking over the same way Jerry appears to be trying to pump everyone up about Weeden.

plasticman

Reaction score
Don't be naive and don't assume that I am naïve. The reason for the title is that it wouldn't matter...not at all....what my title was, I was going to get hammered for suggesting that another quarterback might be just as successful as Tony Romo.

I could have called it:

How Lucky Could We Be?

Wouldn't It Be Great

Suppose We Hit the Lottery And

Here's a Totally Insane Thought

...and the reaction would have been the same. Don't justify your attacks with the title. It would have been something else. Many of you have been real comfortable predicting doom and gloom and it would just ruin everything if Weeden screwed that up by playing great.

Nobody has come close to offering any evidence or prior circumstances that refute the possibility. I have already pointed out that, as a Cowboy, he has a better passer rating than Romo's career. Does that mean he's better? Of course not, such a small sampling would be foolish to use for that purpose, although most of you are guilty of using a single game against the most difficult opponent at that point in the season as your evidence.

I pointed out a few occasions where the prevalent belief was that a new starting QB was going to be a downgrade, in fact, Romo was one of those examples as was Roger Staubach.

When has a 1st round "bust" succeeded with another team? I gave numerous examples including multiple Super Bowl championships.

Jim Plunket was the #1 overall pick in the 1971 draft for the Patriots. From 1971 to 1975 there were 26 teams and Plunket was the #27 rated passer in the league, a total bust. He goes to San Fransisco for the next two years and he's the 24th rated passer for those combined seasons. He doesn't even play in 1978. In 1979 he's a backup for the Raiders, doesn't start a single game.

In 1980 the Raiders acquire Dan Pastorini, who started for the Oilers for 9 seasons and name him the starter. He gets hurt in game #5 and they are forced to use Plunkett. At that point they are 2-3. Jim Plunket ends up with the highest rating of his career, the Raiders go on a six game winning streak, finishes 9-2. Plunket's rating in the AFC championship game is 155.8. His rating in the Super Bowl is 145.0 and he is the Super Bowl MVP. He takes them to another Super Bowl championship 3 years later.

That's one example. I could just as well used Doug Williams or Trent Dilfer, two more 1st round "busts" with Super Bowl rings.

Do I think it will happen? Extremely doubtful but my point was that it would be a good thing if it happened.

Therefore, I am going against the odds and predicting that it will happen for the same reason everybody thought you could replace Murray with Randle. This team is good enough to help Weeden until he is more comfortable and in sync. Then they will peak at just the right time. Coincidentally, that will be about the time Romo can come back, although not 100%.

So calm down....take your heart medication....nobody is going to take the starting job away from Prince Precious......

...........Yeah, I know, but I couldn't help it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an excellent thread to bookmark and re-visit on the day Romo is declared fit to return to the starting lineup, regardless of how successful or unsuccessful Weeden shall be during this stretch of games. Examining how the quarterback performed, along with examining how teammates and coaches performed, is the proper way of thoroughly gauging a quarterback's efficiency. The What If Weeden will have the opportunity of measuring himself against the Real Life Weeden on the day of Romo's return. However, it's also important everyone remember forum rule #12 when that day comes. :p

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not even thinking past Alt right now. I don't think it is far fetched to think Weeden can go out and have a very good game.

GiveDezdaBall88

Reaction score
Romo went 34 TDS and 9 TDS last year, when will ppl learn that he is our most important player and cant win without him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
:mad:

This thread is closed. Some of you are fortunate you're weren't benched. The OP was just speculation and the mob mentality and personal attacks disappoint me. This thread was moved to the rant zone because it was for the most part completely off topic and just full of outright insults and attacks for which the OP responded well. He wasn't the troll but many of you trolled his post.

If I see this sort of behavior again many of you will be benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.