Romo worshipers, don't bust an artery, but what if the Cowboys are 9-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree. I meant "eating crow" in the sense that if I say a person isn't good based on my observations, and if he corrects himself, I'm not going to try to excuse it because I don't want to be proven wrong.

I agree. I was skeptical of a UDFA QB and was not impressed when BP said he had moxie, but that player changed my view of him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No I wasn't, but I think it's comical how you are picking apart one game and acting like Weeden is the only quarterback to struggle against the Cardinals defense which is one of the best in the league.

No, I'm criticizing him for something he shown his ENTIRE time in the league. He has accuracy issues, he doesn't go through is reads. He was a gunslinger coming out of college, but he makes nothing spectacular happen in the NFL. So, all we get is the bad.

And it wasn't the Cardinals doing anything to make his life miserable in that game. He was off the mark multiple times with his throws, he was only sacked once, the guy simply looked awful. He wasn't magically going to become the most accurate QB in the league starting against a bad defense. These are simply his flaws as a QB, and they are big ones.

If you're optimistic about Weeden, fine. But don't act surprised or personally offended when people have low expectations of him because of his poor play throughout his career. If you want someone to think positively about Weeden, provide some facts to do so. If you have nothing, sit alone in your optimism. I don't care.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Yes, I'm about to commit blasphemy.....

Just imagine that the Cowboys are 9-1, perhaps even 10-0, by the time Tony Romo can get back on the field. Brandon Weeden is the top rated QB in the league, the Cowboys have the #1 offense and they are on a roll, an inevitable collision course with Super Bowl 5X.

Their next game is Thanksgiving against the Carolina Panthers, 8-2, and the 2nd best record in the NFC behind the Cowboys. Homefield advantage for the playoffs could very well depend on the outcome of this game.

Weeden's rise has been the story of this season....

Do you sit him and start Tony Romo, fresh from an injury, his ability to perform at his typical level in question?

Suppose Weeden continues to excel?

Notice, I never said that Tony Romo would perform poorly, I never said that he wouldn't perform like an All Pro future Hall o Famer. I'm just suggesting that his abilities would be unknown due to the effects of the injury, still not completely healed, he could perhaps be a tad rusty.

If Weeden leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl, heck, just mentioning the possibility.....

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing for you Romo worshipers.

And am I officially a hater for daring to dream that Weeden might actually perform at a very high level with this offense?

Let the paranoid condemnation begin.....

"You Romo worshippers"...this becomes a surreptitious diatribe with just three words. I'm impressed by its rank idiocy and perplexed by its abject illogic. A mere perfunctory examination of the history of both players eviscerates your thought experiment. Hell, take the Arizona game as exhibit A.

Now is it possible for Weeden to suddenly elevate himself to the level of Romo circa 2014, a player that led the league both in QBR and passer rating? To that, I would say this: Possibility and probability don't live in the same zip code, particularly where Weeden is concerned. His existing body of work more accurately foreshadows doom, rather than boom for an offense currently without its second most valuable player.

If Romo's season ended today, my assessment of the team's chances at a Superbowl with Weeden would be...well...Mora said it best: "...I'm just hoping we can win a game...another game!"

JDSmith

Reaction score
The OP's avatar is very similar to a guy that posted really dumb stuff at The Ranch message board in the past.

I had forgotten all about Optical Jim and how he went off the deep end. I think you nailed it though. I guess he's not allowed to post at the Ranch anymore.

T-RO

Reaction score
If my vertical jump is 80 inches starting today and I can't miss a single shot for the next 5 years...you will all have to agree I'm better than Michael Jordan.

But don't get too hysterical, all you Michael Jordan worshippers

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't get this whole thing, a person can be a big fan of Romo and a big fan of the Dallas Cowboys. I agree we have some who will not place any blame on Romo for a bad play, we have those who seem more interested in Romo failing. For many of us we are Cowboys fans we are also fans of many of the players on this team, we pull for them to go out and produce to help this team win.

You bet I think highly of Romo and I hope he gets a ring along with 52 other teammates. I also hope to see Weeden come in and do a very good job to help this team win. To me the Cowboys winning is more important than any other fans personal agenda

Right! Yes!

And I am also "many of us". Obviously.....OBVIOUSLY...I wasn't talking about mainstream fans of the Cowboys and fans of Tony Romo that understand the team sport aspect. I understand Tony Romo's great contribution to the team, I am a Tony Romo fan.

With that said, history is filled with those that were given an unlikely opportunity to be great and they took advantage of it.

It can't happen? It has happened again and again.....

Look no further than Tony Romo.

Do you know how many times in the past 50 years in the NFL where a quarterback didn't take a single snap as a QB for two complete seasons and still became a perennial starter later in his career?

Twice....only twice....they had the same head Coach, Bill Parcells. The other guy, Jeff Hostetler won a Super Bowl with his team.

Yes, highly unlikely...and, yet...

Jones: Move disappointing
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2006
Jaime Aron
The Associated Press
IRVING - Jerry Jones is disappointed the Dallas Cowboys are turning to Tony Romo at quarterback, although it's not because he lacks faith in his former backup.

"I'm disappointed at the reason we're having to make this change," Jones said Thursday.

The change has forced Jones to lower his expectations for this season. He and coach Bill Parcells frequently said during the summer they thought this team could be "special," their code word for a team that could go deep in the playoffs.

"I have to be a realist," he said. "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. ... That to me is a step back."

Jones was counting on the Cowboys being better than 3-3 and was expecting Bledsoe to be a big part of their success. Instead, the same problems Bledsoe has long faced - sacks and interceptions - are reasons for Dallas' slow start.

Parcells benched Bledsoe at halftime Monday night against the New York Giants and turned to Romo, who has been with the team since 2003.

The former Division I-AA player of the year was 14-of-25 for 227 yards and two touchdowns and ran for a 2-point conversion, but also threw three interceptions. Still, it was good enough for Parcells to announce Wednesday that Romo is the starter.

"I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback.''

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones

He realizes things don't look as good now. The Cowboys have lost to the three best teams they've played and beaten the three worst, a recipe for mediocrity - something Dallas is trying to shake out of. The club hasn't won a playoff game since 1996 and hasn't made it to the postseason since 2003.

Giving Romo a chance now also could benefit the Cowboys in the long run because they'll find out whether he deserves the job next year. He received an extension through 2007 during the preseason.

Jones was quick to point out that wasn't a reason for this move, saying it is not a sign that "we were junking this season and just putting the team together for the future."

Romo will be the ninth starting quarterback for Dallas since Troy Aikman. Romo is the biggest long shot to make it up the depth chart, having outlasted Jones-picked candidates Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson, plus old Parcells favorites Vinny Testaverde and Bledsoe.

Jones, who carries the dual role of owner and general manager, defended his quarterback carousel, noting that he's "consciously tried not to go to the top of the draft to get a quarterback" and acknowledging that might have to change if Romo also isn't the answer.

"Part of the responsibility I have is how you address the long-term situation at quarterback," he acknowledged.

Jones is still optimistic about Romo.

"I think he's a top athlete," Jones said. "I like his approach to competing. He's got a natural leadership quality about him. ... He's pocket sensitive. He's got a good feel of where it's coming from, the pressure."

Jones said he and Parcells have talked about the quarterbacks in "probably 50 percent of the conversations we have," so there wasn't a lengthy discussion about the change. He added that he does not regret sticking with Bledsoe so long, instead of having broken in Romo earlier this year or even in previous years.

"I know why we made the decisions," he said. "I would have liked for them to turn out better, but I don't regret it."

Weeden can do it. He can manage this offense successfully. Better than Tony Romo? No, or not in any near future. But does he have to be better than Tony Romo for the Cowboys to be successful?

The Cowboys have been accused of depending too much on Romo. This team is better than it has been since the mid 90's. That team could win without Aikman. Hell, they won with Jason Garrett starting!

Is it really too unrealistic to believe they can win with Weeden....if they have to?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Jones was counting on the Cowboys being better than 3-3 and was expecting Bledsoe to be a big part of their success. Instead, the same problems Bledsoe has long faced - sacks and interceptions - are reasons for Dallas' slow start.

This should be in bold too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
During Morrall's era playing for the 72 Dolphins who ran the ball most of the time with a 3 headed monster backfield made it easy for Miami to stay afloat during Griese's absence. Morrall never attempted more than 19 passes in the 12 games he started that season.

Most everyone ran the ball then. 15-19 passes sounds about normal without looking it up.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
I would play Weeden 1 more game and then let Romo start on Thanksgiving, so he doesn't go on 4 days rest. Just because Weeden went 6-1 or 7-0, Romo went 2-0 and would still give us the best chance at winning a championship. Then I would celebrate the fact that we would have a great backup for the next couple of years.

We'd more likely be celebrating the fact that Weeden earned a huge contract from some other team as a FA and we'll get a nice compensatory pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had forgotten all about Optical Jim and how he went off the deep end. I think you nailed it though. I guess he's not allowed to post at the Ranch anymore.

They even let Floaty come back.

hairic

Reaction score
That would be really unexpected. Romo currently has 33 better games than Weeden's career best, so he has a ways to go. Dallas with Romo would be 7-1 in Romo's last 8 games (playoffs or regular season) and 7-1 in Weeden's 8.

BdhsoH0.png

JDSmith

Reaction score
They even let Floaty come back.

Last time I was there it said I had to request permission to post. I have like 20,000 posts and now I have to suddenly ask permission? I didn't bother, I don't like the format and it's not worth the trouble.

plasticman

Reaction score
And, by the way, I was never kicked off the scout board and I was never banned.

I didn't go off the deep end. I frequent these boards because I want to have interesting and intelligent discussions about my favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys. I enjoy a good debate with those who have an open mind and an ability to look at different perspectives.

There isn't a lot of that at most boards. I see a lot of attitudes where, rather than provide information that might dispute a claim, they resort to personal attacks. It's more work to research and find evidence to support a belief that is being challenged, far easier to insult a poster, accuse him of not being a fan, label him a troll or hater in the hopes of creating a board wide hostility.

In such an environment, the greatest sin is to criticize Tony Romo, truth is irrelevant. There is always a small group of fans that have less than a decade of experience watching the Cowboys play and their favorite guy is Tony Romo, an attack on him is an attack on them. As far as they are concerned Tony Romo is the Dallas Cowboys.

Furthermore, a quarterback is either in the top 5 or 6 or they totally suck, big stat numbers rule. They don't seem to understand that the job and only goal of a quarterback is to help their team win. If it's handing the ball off to the RB 60 times then they need to do that well and if their team wins then he is a successful QB.

If a poster disagrees with me , then that's fine, I'll respect them when they can explain and justify why they disagree, perhaps provide an example that contradicts my position. However when a poster offers northing but an insult, they are telling the board that they don't like my opinion mostly because they can't dispute it, they are exposed by the truth and they must deflect this by attacking the messenger. It's intellectually lazy.

LOL, I would spend hours analyzing stats with a spread sheet only to have some poster respond by telling me my opinions are krap.....often, I never expressed an opinion, simply detailed the statistical information. There was no opinion to dispute.

I'm here because I was told this is a more serious board, fans here have a more sophisticated outlook on the game, a respect for the team's history and the quality of this present team.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Lol not happening. Our realistic aim should be for .500 wile Tony is out. Maybe 6-4 at best.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time I was there it said I had to request permission to post. I have like 20,000 posts and now I have to suddenly ask permission? I didn't bother, I don't like the format and it's not worth the trouble.

Looks like plasticman really is Optical Jim.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Yes, I'm about to commit blasphemy.....

Just imagine that the Cowboys are 9-1, perhaps even 10-0, by the time Tony Romo can get back on the field. Brandon Weeden is the top rated QB in the league, the Cowboys have the #1 offense and they are on a roll, an inevitable collision course with Super Bowl 5X.

Their next game is Thanksgiving against the Carolina Panthers, 8-2, and the 2nd best record in the NFC behind the Cowboys. Homefield advantage for the playoffs could very well depend on the outcome of this game.

Weeden's rise has been the story of this season....

Do you sit him and start Tony Romo, fresh from an injury, his ability to perform at his typical level in question?

Suppose Weeden continues to excel?

Notice, I never said that Tony Romo would perform poorly, I never said that he wouldn't perform like an All Pro future Hall o Famer. I'm just suggesting that his abilities would be unknown due to the effects of the injury, still not completely healed, he could perhaps be a tad rusty.

If Weeden leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl, heck, just mentioning the possibility.....

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing for you Romo worshipers.

And am I officially a hater for daring to dream that Weeden might actually perform at a very high level with this offense?

Let the paranoid condemnation begin.....

It's a fun question to pose, no harm there. There is only one right answer - Romo goes in the very second he is ready, no question. Because a Weeden-led 9-1 team is a 10-0 Romo-led team, or maybe even 11 and -1. There is no spot on the space-time continuum of this universe in which Weeden is a better QB than Romo.

plasticman

Reaction score
You have paraphrased incorrectly.

I am saying that this team is bigger than Tony Romo and it's well within the realm of possibilities that Weeden is every bit as successful as Tony Romo.

I don't hate Tony. I didn't hate Craig Morton....Gary Hogeboom.....Steve Walsh....

...but I have every right to want a quarterback that will get the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. That might still be Tony Romo and I hope it is. Seriously....Weeden has a good arm...not Romo's intangibles, but what if....I just posted an article describing Jerry Jones's belief that Romo was not an upgrade and the Cowboys could no longer expect to be considered a contender....the owner/GM....." "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. ... That to me is a step back."

Okay, that was Jerry Jones, if you want to rant against a Romo Hater, there you go....

I had a similar discussion 35 years ago when the starter, a 1st round pick that started in Super Bowl V, was being challenged by a guy that had not been in the game for six years. He was serving in the navy aboard a ship off the coast of Vietnam. My friend insisted there was no way....NO WAY...this guy should replace Craig Morton. This guy was so erratic that he would run with the ball instead of finding an open receiver, proof, my friend insisted, that he was a college quarterback that could never adjust to the NFL.

I don't need to tell you how that turned out...I hope.

Amy50632

Reaction score
You have paraphrased incorrectly.

I am saying that this team is bigger than Tony Romo and it's well within the realm of possibilities that Weeden is every bit as successful as Tony Romo.

I don't hate Tony. I didn't hate Craig Morton....Gary Hogeboom.....Steve Walsh....

...but I have every right to want a quarterback that will get the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. That might still be Tony Romo and I hope it is. Seriously....Weeden has a good arm...not Romo's intangibles, but what if....I just posted an article describing Jerry Jones's belief that Romo was not an upgrade and the Cowboys could no longer expect to be considered a contender....the owner/GM....." "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. ... That to me is a step back."

Okay, that was Jerry Jones, if you want to rant against a Romo Hater, there you go....

I had a similar discussion 35 years ago when the starter, a 1st round pick that started in Super Bowl V, was being challenged by a guy that had not been in the game for six years. He was serving in the navy aboard a ship off the coast of Vietnam. My friend insisted there was no way....NO WAY...this guy should replace Craig Morton. This guy was so erratic that he would run with the ball instead of finding an open receiver, proof, my friend insisted, that he was a college quarterback that could never adjust to the NFL.

I don't need to tell you how that turned out...I hope.

"Weeden is every bit as successful as Tony Romo."

What?!

plasticman

Reaction score
"Weeden is every bit as successful as Tony Romo."

What?!

Within the realm of possibility, for Christ sake....it's not impossible. There is a probability, even if you consider it to be exponentially fractional...that Weeden does great, is that a disappointing prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.