Romo's 2 Passes

Tobal

Reaction score
aikemirv;1094315 said:
Bledsoe made a pass like that in Double Coverage to TO in the endzone and TO made the play on it.

I was not saying that was a bad pass by Bledsoe.

That scared me too.

I'm not against Romo, I just don't like balls thrown like that, it had so much air under it, that it would be easy to get too, luckily Hurd was the only one who saw it.

It all turned out well and Romo made it happen, kudo's

mwj473

Reaction score
aikemirv;1094322 said:
Severely underthrown would be the pass that Bledsoe threw to Owens against Philly.. Romos pass was underthrown with severe pressure and because he was getting hit almost while throwing we will never know if it was meant to be underthrown.

I am not totally on the Romo bandwagon, but my issue with Bledsoe is he does not seem to be recognizing the defense before the play. Look at the play below, Witten is totally uncovered and he goes ahead with the running play instead of just tossing it out to Witten. Thanks to phillycowboyslover for the pic.

http://i30.***BLOCKED***/albums/c333/marv41/HPIM1408.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1094347 said:
It's amazing what decent pass protection and great blitz pickup will do for you.
That's just it. They didn't pick up that blitz* -- at least they didn't keep the guy off him for long. He was being hit as he threw it. Any slower of a release or decision making and he would have been sacked his arm would have been hit.

* I will say that it was a 7 man blitz so kudos to the line for giving him the amount of time they did.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1094359 said:
That's just it. They didn't pick up that blitz* -- at least they didn't keep the guy off him for long. He was being hit as he threw it. Any slower of a release or decision making and he would have been sacked his arm would have been hit.

* I will say that it was a 7 man blitz so kudos to the line for giving him the amount of time they did.

Mostly I meant for Bledsoe - because Houston was coming up the middle all day long, and except for that one sack early - where all 5 Olinemen and a TE blocked 3 DLinemen and Barber was left one on two with a DE and a DT - they really did quite well. That was a big blitz from Houston, and they gave Romo just enough time - barely.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Tobal;1094355 said:
That scared me too.

I'm not against Romo, I just don't like balls thrown like that, it had so much air under it, that it would be easy to get too, luckily Hurd was the only one who saw it.

It all turned out well and Romo made it happen, kudo's

There really are not many CB's who play the ball on deep throws in the NFL these days and that is why these plays are more and more sucessful. In both cases yesterday the CB's had no idea hwere the ball was, especially in a blitz situation, the CB is just turning and running on a deep ball.

By the way, Romo in preseason made a living throwing the underthrow down the sidelines... not the same play of course, more of what Bledsoe completed to Crayton yeaterday for the first down, but still he is very good at that type of play.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;1094367 said:
There really are not many CB's who play the ball on deep throws in the NFL these days and that is why these plays are more and more sucessful. In both cases yesterday the CB's had no idea hwere the ball was, especially in a blitz situation, the CB is just turning and running on a deep ball.

By the way, Romo in preseason made a living throwing the underthrow down the sidelines... not the same play of course, more of what Bledsoe completed to Crayton yeaterday for the first down, but still he is very good at that type of play.

Except in those, he clearly meant to throw the back shoulder fade - unlike the duck to Hurd yesterday. I love Romo's ability to make that throw, though, in perfect timing. Because unless you scheme to take it away, 1 on 1, an accurate throw like he had in the preseason is absolutely indefensible.

aikemirv

Reaction score
mwj473;1094357 said:
I am not totally on the Romo bandwagon, but my issue with Bledsoe is he does not seem to be recognizing the defense before the play. Look at the play below, Witten is totally uncovered and he goes ahead with the running play instead of just tossing it out to Witten. Thanks to phillycowboyslover for the pic.

http://i30.***BLOCKED***/albums/c333/marv41/HPIM1408.jpg
Bledsoe was not sharp yesterday period. the defense pulled our team up yesterday and then Bledsoe got it going but he was far from good yesterday - like he sadi, OK is about the word for it.

I hated the throw away on fourth down more than anything else he did yesterday. At least if no one is open, you try to run for it on 4th, not throw it away!

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Romo's accuracy is spot on. Like I said before, I don't think Bledsoe completes that TD pass. He panics because someone from the end is rushing in uncovered.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;1094373 said:
I hated the throw away on fourth down more than anything else he did yesterday. At least if no one is open, you try to run for it on 4th, not throw it away!

I hated it, too - but face it. That was a 1 receiver route, and it was covered perfectly. Everyone else blocked, it was all or nothing on Glenn. If Glenn had turned upfield, Bledsoe might have turned it loose. Glenn didn't. But I think Bledsoe got rid of it TOO quick that time. The rush was handled, he had another second.

ghst187

Reaction score
Doomsday;1094261 said:
Sometimes you just have to give your WRs a chance to make a play when they are 1 on 1.

with the corps of WRs we have....you need to give them opportunities.
Romo will probably get yelled at for that pass though ha.
But one thing is pretty certain, Bledsoe would've gotten sacked on BOTH plays which Romo completed passes. Instead, we get a 33 yard gain and a TD.
I'm sure Romo will make some mistakes but I firmly believe he will make more big plays also, and many of those will probably be after he avoids the rush.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
superpunk;1094386 said:
I hated it, too - but face it. That was a 1 receiver route, and it was covered perfectly. Everyone else blocked, it was all or nothing on Glenn. If Glenn had turned upfield, Bledsoe might have turned it loose. Glenn didn't. But I think Bledsoe got rid of it TOO quick that time. The rush was handled, he had another second.

As much as I have bashed Blesdsoe the past week, I have to agree 100% here. There error was not on Bledsoe, it was on Glenn for not adjusting his route inside and up the field. The blitz up the middle left the middle of the field with a HUGE open zone. Can't fault Drew for that one.

SS

:star:

aikemirv

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1094409 said:
As much as I have bashed Blesdsoe the past week, I have to agree 100% here. There error was not on Bledsoe, it was on Glenn for not adjusting his route inside and up the field. The blitz up the middle left the middle of the field with a HUGE open zone. Can't fault Drew for that one.

SS

:star:

You just don't give up on 4th down. Tuck it and run for the 1st down... at least try... why in the world would you throw it out of bounds. I don't care if he would have made the first down running or not ... just try!

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;1094439 said:
You just don't give up on 4th down. Tuck it and run for the 1st down... at least try... why in the world would you throw it out of bounds. I don't care if he would have made the first down running or not ... just try!

Was he going to run around the 20 foot wide pile of men and turn it upfield on the outside? Maybe he was instructed to throw it away. Again - it was a 1 receiver route. It was Glenn or nothing. Blame the play-call for that ridiculous display, not Bledsoe. We should have been picking up a yard on one of the league's worst defenses on the ground.

aikemirv

Reaction score
superpunk;1094446 said:
Was he going to run around the 20 foot wide pile of men and turn it upfield on the outside? Maybe he was instructed to throw it away. Again - it was a 1 receiver route. It was Glenn or nothing. Blame the play-call for that ridiculous display, not Bledsoe. We should have been picking up a yard on one of the league's worst defenses on the ground.

Bad play call - no doubt. If you are going to throw you go deep anyway if you ask me.

But....maybe it is just me... and maybe he does not have a chance at all, but what is there to lose at least trying to run for it?

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;1094458 said:
Bad play call - no doubt. If you are going to throw you go deep anyway if you ask me.

But....maybe it is just me... and maybe he does not have a chance at all, but what is there to lose at least trying to run for it?

He could fumble. I really think he was instructed to look for Glenn, and if it was gone, throw it away. This was one time Bledsoe needed to be Bledsoe (i.e. hang onto it) and he just cut it loose the second Glenn was covered.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Doomsday;1094261 said:
Sometimes you just have to give your WRs a chance to make a play when they are 1 on 1.

Absolutely. He at least gave his guy an opportunity to make a play. I'm sure Bill didn't like it but I did.

mwj473

Reaction score
superpunk;1094386 said:

You may want to look at that play again, Bledsoe did not have that much time. Barber totally whiffed on his block and a defender was coming from Beldsoe's left, since he was looking at that side, with Glenn, he saw it and had to get rid of it. If that man had been blocked, Glenn might of had time to adjust his route. Bledsoe had no choice but to throw it away. If he would have forced it, it could have been pick 6 the other way.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1094286 said:
I'm just grateful we no longer have to read on this board, "Romo hasn't even attempted a pass in a real game".

Yep. And we also don't have to hear it from the talking heads.

And another thing ... why is it that quarterbacking appears much more easier with Romo than with Drew. Why is it that TO miraculously was wide open on Romo's TD pass.

superpunk

Reaction score
mwj473;1094474 said:
You may want to look at that play again, Bledsoe did not have that much time. Barber totally whiffed on his block and a defender was coming from Beldsoe's left, since he was looking at that side, with Glenn, he saw it and had to get rid of it. If that man had been blocked, Glenn might of had time to adjust his route. Bledsoe had no choice but to throw it away. If he would have forced it, it could have been pick 6 the other way.

I wasn't counting the seconds. It looked like he had a little more time. Maybe he didn't.

Stautner

Reaction score
Tobal;1094216 said:
He just threw it up for grabs, you think he intentionally left that short?

you're kidding yourself

He may have thrown it short intentionally.

Even if he didn't, it was not thrown up for grabs.

The fact is that with both the WR and the DB running downfield at full speed, the WR has a huge advantage because he knows the route and he is looking back at the QB. The DB is going a little blind - not knowing the route, or when the ball is released, or the trajectory and path of the ball. Accordingly the WR is able to adjust to the ball fairly easily and the DB is much slower to react, and really doesn't know where the ball is even when he does.

Quality NFL QB's know this and are taught this and make that throw all the time.