Roots on History

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
and why would they do that? if a site is there for facts, they won't tell you how to feel about THEIR interpretation of "facts" now will they? news should not tell you how to feel nor draw conclusions for you. if the site or article is doing that then i throw up a flag - either way - because it is emotionally based, not factual.

"news" these days tells me what happened, reiterates their talking points, interprets things for me and in the end, is littered with opinion pieces dancing in and out of real news stories.

now tell me - if all you could find within yourself was to do a "quick google search" - did you find what you wanted and stopped or did you actually research this? given your reply, i'm guessing you found what you wanted, giggled cause it was online, and declared victory cause a biased site told you what you wanted to hear.

The majority of what I saw was factual research by an Irishman. Indentured servitude isn't news. I learned about it in elementary school.

Last edited:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't know what school you guys went to, but the public school I went to, definitely taught about indentured servitude and the treatment of Native Americans.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
The majority of what I saw was factual research by an Irishman. Indentured servitude isn't news. I learned about it in elementary school.

how much of a "majority" can you find in a "quick google search"?

jnday

Reaction score
I don't know what school you guys went to, but the public school I went to, definitely taught about indentured servitude and the treatment of Native Americans.

Very little is taught about the reality of living as an indentured servant. Some of these people was put in situations that prohibited them from ever paying there debt, which made them lifetime slaves. The laws supported the practice , so these people became slaves except they didn't have the monetary value like the African slaves. When it came to Native Americans, ours schools may have taught about the mistreatment, but they didn't teach about the efforts that the government made to eradicate the people. As bad as things was in this country, our limited history is nothing compared to other countries around the world. 250 years of slavery and the genocide of the Native Americans happened within a short time in the grand scheme of things. Many countries had slavery for thousands of years and the value of human life was nothing to Romans for example.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

When you use the term Political Correctness or it's abbreviation (PC) to establish how you feel on a specific topic....you are posting political comments and discussions.

If you find you can't talk about a topic without falling into the trap...maybe you should just pass over the topic instead of posting about it.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Very little is taught about the reality of living as an indentured servant. Some of these people was put in situations that prohibited them from ever paying there debt, which made them lifetime slaves. The laws supported the practice , so these people became slaves except they didn't have the monetary value like the African slaves. When it came to Native Americans, ours schools may have taught about the mistreatment, but they didn't teach about the efforts that the government made to eradicate the people. As bad as things was in this country, our limited history is nothing compared to other countries around the world. 250 years of slavery and the genocide of the Native Americans happened within a short time in the grand scheme of things. Many countries had slavery for thousands of years and the value of human life was nothing to Romans for example.

While true, one would hope that society evolved in the 2000 years since the Romans ruled

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I learned about the Native Americans being murdered and treaties being reneged on via the "Manifest Destiny" to take the land from coast to coast, and countless other examples. I learned about indentured servitude and the similarities to slavery; but they came here on their own will. They may have been "tricked" into coming from Ireland to enter indentured servitude but weren't kidnapped and brought overseas. I know of the Irish/English history and support the Republic.

Do you have a link for this forced breeding bw Irish American women and Black males in the US?

indentured servitude existed but it was not the same as slavery for the reasons you set out, namely, it was voluntary for the Irish or whomever it was that came over that way. Africans had no choice.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Murder is murder. Smart slaves were murdered and bigger slaves were bred. Literacy was illegal amongst slaves. Big slaves were bred to have ancestors dominate the NFL/NBA;)

literacy was not allowed because, just like having slaves hold guns, if you allowed them to read or shoot guns, then you destroyed the argument that they were inferior,

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
It is not minimizing anything. My point is that US slavery was no different than slavery anywhere else. Rewriting history to make US slavery different is doesn't make it fact. The Irish slaves that was in America was treated the worst. Their value was a lot lower and the treatment towards them reflected that.

you have to got to be jiving

you are actually arguing that Irish indentured servants who came voluntarily, were treated worse than African slaves?

https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/liam-hogan/‘irish-slaves’-convenient-myth

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
how much of a "majority" can you find in a "quick google search"?

Probably used an academic research port;) Where propaganda is analyzed before being established as fact unlike Google who is more interested in traffic flow/clicks/advertisement, etc.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Probably used an academic research port;) Where propaganda is analyzed before being established as fact unlike Google who is more interested in traffic flow/clicks/advertisement, etc.

nothing about that sounds quick.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
nothing about that sounds quick.

User login and password: search terms the same (abstracts under title of article). I get your point though. It was widely known as a myth or at the least an extreme exaggeration to minimize slavery conditions/treatment/laws towards black slaves in the US.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
User login and password: search terms the same (abstracts under title of article). I get your point though. It was widely known as a myth or at the least an extreme exaggeration to minimize slavery conditions/treatment/laws towards black slaves in the US.

except that's not what i had in mind, or was even thinking. it was more "gosh, you went "away" for about 18 seconds and was able to effectively debunk it all" - which to me means your mind was already made up on said topic and you just had to do a standard "ok i looked" parusal of google to say HA! it's all a lie!!! simply because you choose not to believe it.

i've yet to find a single person alive who is trying to minimize the impact of treatment of blacks during this time. but how come every time someone points out that blacks were not the only slaves, we go "here" and minimize THEIR slavery instead?

we disagree and i'll move on.

Last edited:

BigDGarciaFan

Reaction score
Tonight is the final part. "Behold the only TV program greater than two boring NBA teams."

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

it is the same as the myth that holds that the US Civil War wasn't about slavery but States' Rights. The only right the southern states wanted was to preserve the right to slavery

jnday

Reaction score
#7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

When you use the term Political Correctness or it's abbreviation (PC) to establish how you feel on a specific topic....you are posting political comments and discussions.

If you find you can't talk about a topic without falling into the trap...maybe you should just pass over the topic instead of posting about it.

I apologize. I was thinking the discussion was more along the lines of our thoughts on history and how the revisionist version of history is changing how it is viewed.

jnday

Reaction score
it is the same as the myth that holds that the US Civil War wasn't about slavery but States' Rights. The only right the southern states wanted was to preserve the right to slavery

slsvery was an issue, but there was many economic factors involved too. The North did not want to lose the taxes and wealth that the South brought to the table. Lincoln himself was quoted on several occasions as saying that he didn't care what happened to the slaves. Grant had said that he was fighting to preserve the Union. He had said that he would resign if the war was for freeing slaves.

jnday

Reaction score
you have to got to be jiving

you are actually arguing that Irish indentured servants who came voluntarily, were treated worse than African slaves?

https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/liam-hogan/‘irish-slaves’-convenient-myth

The Africsn slaves was worth much more than any others. There are some sites that try to discredit the existence of Irish slaves, but those sites have no explanation for the documents and other evidence to support the existence of the Irish slaves. The Irish was in a unique situation due to their skin color. It was hard for whites to claim that their race was superior , but the Irish was white. The Irish created the contradiction and was elevated in social status due to their skin color. All of this happened many decades before the Civil War and little attention has been given to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.