Roster Mismanagement

Zordon

Reaction score
Defense looks like a hot mess right now to me.

Too many injuries to rookies, too many suspensions.

Seeing Nolan Carroll hold down a starting spot heading into the season torpedos my confidence in this unit.

It feels like we're on a treadmill right now when it comes to rebuilding this dline. Mayowa, Moore, Crawford, Paea...my goodness how could you sit idle with this group and claim to be serious about winning a Super Bowl? We have the worst front seven in the division and on top of that an extremely green back end.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Some posters simply do not get it...

In a league with 32 participants and a limited talent pool players are apt to get overpaid rather than underpaid. And with young talent chances are taken on continued development. Thus overpaying is going to occur. And if you don't buckle up and secure younger talent you're going to be forever replacing it as that young talent takes their skill-set elsewhere.

Hit the nail on the head. Funny to me that these complaints were rarely heard during the Tecmo Bowl era. :lmao: Once Madden hit the market, anyone & everyone is under the impression that this is how the NFL works. 'If I want to pick-up Jerry Rice, to play next to Irvin & Harper, I'll just give the 49'ers Alexander Wright.'. :facepalm:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The fact the Giants, Igglets, and Deadskins didnt bring this guy in to even pick his brain is pretty telling...let alone all 31 other teams. The only place this kid belongs on Sunday is the booth or on the sideline in a jump suit. Wasted spot where a 25 yr old LB like a Jelani Jenkins could come in.

He would have had to agree to sign with those teams and he already had a deal in place to come back to Dallas. He isn't leaving on his own as long as Linehan is here. I agree he is a wasted spot. I'd rather see him as a coach than taking up a roster spot.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score

Seeing Nolan Carroll hold down a starting spot heading into the season torpedos my confidence in this unit.

It feels like we're on a treadmill right now when it comes to rebuilding this dline. Mayowa, Moore, Crawford, Paea...my goodness how could you sit idle with this group and claim to be serious about winning a Super Bowl? We have the worst front seven in the division and on top of that an extremely green back end.

I don't specially like our D this year, but I applaud the secondary draft picks and was genuinely excited to see what the rookies could do. Who knew every decent CB we picked up would go down with a hamstring injury? Well...guess we should have seen that coming since it's an every year occurrence. Maybe they need more pickle juice (jk)????

dfense

Reaction score
I believe it's called "churning" the bottom of the roster.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the conservative group decisions of the front office go right along with the conservative coaching of the cowboys

basstapp

Reaction score
I'm stunned to see a couple reports out there that are baffling to me. The only conclusion I can come to and maybe this is my own bias, but it seems people are trying to save face on previous decisions and are seriously doubling down.

Chaz Green expected to start at Left Guard over Jonathan Cooper and Kellen Moore to be re-signed?

Absolutely baffled by both of these moves on top of the slew of JAGs we brought in last minute who have no knowledge of the system in Dallas.

Moore has proven he can't play and at best you're going to rob Rush of *some* reps.

Green has proven he can't stay healthy but they're going to plug him in there at guard because they invested a 3rd round pick on him and they still have two years of his contract whereas Cooper is a free agent at the end of the year and I'm sure they don't want to have to pay Martin and him if Cooper progresses. At this rate you can probably sign Cooper again to an extension without paying him if he doesn't start.

This mismanagement is also highlighted with the Cedric Thornton release. They gave this guy 3 million guaranteed for this season and most of us knew he was a JAG from day 1. The same can be said for Nolan Carroll.

1) I think starting Green/Cooper argument is a little silly. I'm sure the Cowboys are going with the guy that can best play the position. Neither of them is known for their durability. I am not going to argue one way or the other it just sounds like you like Cooper more than Green.

2) Again - who knows how these players will contribute. Not sure you can judge them until they play and or cut.

3) I hate the Moore situation. I understand that he can contribute in practice and probably help Rush in the mental game. I think it would have been better to cut him and sign him as a coach and sling the ball around during practice. I would rather use that roster spot for an extra LB considering our LBs (Lee/Jaylon/Durant) injury prone (Hitchens/injured) and (Wilson/suspension looming).

4) I was excited about Thorton, but I actually like they cut him with guaranteed money. It means they will make decisions based on whats best for the team and not the money side of things. Carrol - is nasty and shouldn't see a down. I'd prefer Benwikere outplays him and we cut Carrol.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm stunned to see a couple reports out there that are baffling to me. The only conclusion I can come to and maybe this is my own bias, but it seems people are trying to save face on previous decisions and are seriously doubling down.

Chaz Green expected to start at Left Guard over Jonathan Cooper and Kellen Moore to be re-signed?

Absolutely baffled by both of these moves on top of the slew of JAGs we brought in last minute who have no knowledge of the system in Dallas.

Moore has proven he can't play and at best you're going to rob Rush of *some* reps.

Green has proven he can't stay healthy but they're going to plug him in there at guard because they invested a 3rd round pick on him and they still have two years of his contract whereas Cooper is a free agent at the end of the year and I'm sure they don't want to have to pay Martin and him if Cooper progresses. At this rate you can probably sign Cooper again to an extension without paying him if he doesn't start.

This mismanagement is also highlighted with the Cedric Thornton release. They gave this guy 3 million guaranteed for this season and most of us knew he was a JAG from day 1. The same can be said for Nolan Carroll.

WeaponX

Reaction score
People would defend this front office for the next 10 years without results.

CowboysStarter88 says that we all thought he could make a transition? No we didn't. First he came from the Eagles and was already playing in a 4-3. Second, he was not good when we signed him and overpaid him from day 1. The Cowboys have this pension for signing very low rated players to mid card money, and fans back them because they must know what they're doing... They don't.

It's moves like these that separate a perennial super bowl team with a team that struggles to win playoff games despite having establish talent.

For the record, Philly played a 3-4 defense while Thornton was there and he was a DE and very good against the run. Philly didn't switch to the 4-3 until last year when they brought in Jim Schwartz.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I think Cooper was a great signing and he should be given the opportunity to start. If he can't hack it, then let Green replace him, but even that won't be for very long as he won't be able to stay healthy.

Carroll is going to be a starter, not just veteran depth. And asking what else could be done here is a bit of a misnomer. In reality they've mismanaged the cornerback position from the start. The situation we're dealing with now is very late in the series of mismanagement. I wouldn't have kept Carr and Claiborne for as long as they did and my posting record here supports that.

Mayowa is a result of the front office not taking the defensive line very seriously. They've really botched putting together an even decent line.
so what Iam reading here is you won't do what management did thus they mismanaged. Got it

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think their plan for the defense is the same this year as it was last year and the year before. They are just hoping to throw enough numbers at the positions to eventually find a diamond or two, or at least a combination of players that plays well enough to win games.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This is what I know-if you're in Cowboys management, the fan base will never be happy so don't concern yourself with there feelings.

They made the right call on Thornton when he was signed at a reasonable cost and now that they realized he was a poor fit.

With Green they obviously feel he is a superior player, I am sure they aren't going to risk the health of their star qb because of ego. The other guy has been canned by two other teams we are not talking about Larry Allen here.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I know-if you're in Cowboys management, the fan base will never be happy so don't concern yourself with there feelings.

They made the right call on Thornton when he was signed at a reasonable cost and now that they realized he was a poor fit.

With Green they obviously feel he is a superior player, I am sure they aren't going to risk the health of their star qb because of ego. The other guy has been canned by two other teams we are not talking about Larry Allen here.

Exactly right.

No one is thrilled with how the Thornton-experiment ended.

But that's the risk-reward a team has to take on occasion given the competitive nature of the situation.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think their plan for the defense is the same this year as it was last year and the year before. They are just hoping to throw enough numbers at the positions to eventually find a diamond or two, or at least a combination of players that plays well enough to win games.
Scary philosophy. Especially when you consider the fact that it will only get worse once Dak is making $25 million per year in a few seasons. I'm worried this team is wasting a prime opportunity to win now while he's still cheap by sitting idle and not being more aggressive in free agency/trades to fill some of these blaring holes on defense.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score

Agreed. The plan on defense is to survive while the offense thrives. If they get lucky with three or four players that can become difference-makers, they'll be ecstatic.

jjktkk

Reaction score
You would think that for a team coming off a 13-3 season, that the F.O

Talk about being "stunned' and being baffled, I'm stunned this type of thread was made before the season even started! Where do I begin...

1.) Your personal preference at LG is Cooper, the FO likes Green. Green has shown better talent imo, but can't stay healthy, Cooper apparently did not show the coaching staff enough to get the starting gig. Either way, you have a viable option if one or the other doesn't hold on to the starting position. Plus you have 3 veteran mentors in Smith, Frederick, and Martin to help Green and/or Cooper, as well as Collins adjustment at RT.

2.) I'm sure most members on here would rather see Moore gone, but I certainly understand the FO for not wanting two inexperienced QBs in Dak and Cooper, without a veteran QB to help with the youngsters. Just wish that veteran QB was someone other than Moore.

3.) And you disagree with the "slew"(Might want to go back look up the definition of slew) of JAGS picked up last minute? They made two. Really, two?! I can understand you questioning the Price move. It could blow up in their face, but McClay gets my benefit of the doubt on this signing. And the signing of OLB/DE Elliot, is strictly a depth move because all of the injuries at the LB position. From my understanding, Elliot already is a solid ST player, and could also be used as a situational pass rusher. Price was a waiver wire pickup and Elliot will cost a conditional 7th round pick. and you're up and arms over this so called "slew" of roster moves?

4.) I totally do not understand your criticism of the Thronton move. It was a low cost signing for a potential starter that didn't work out. Happens all across the league. Kuddos for Dallas for moving on from Thronton.

I do not get your angst at all. Why not wait until we see at least one game, before you join Visionary and other vigilantes at the Star with your pitchforks in the air, clamoring for justice.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
People would defend this front office for the next 10 years without results.

Ron Leary's contract is a bit much, so I won't be too hard on them for not re-signing him. My point at guard is I've seen Green and Cooper play, and Cooper is better than Green and he isn't as injury prone. This is clearly about the draft pick and the contracts.
You think them signing/trading for JAGs is new. My point is, it isn't at all new. They make a couple of the same mistakes over and over again. They overpay players and they tend to keep them entirely longer than what is logical.
Tyrone Crawford - overpaid.
Nolan Carroll - overpaid.
Benson Mayowa - overpaid.
Why did we keep Hayden for so long? Doug Free? Kyle Wilber? How is Jeff Heath slated to start?
They did the same with Carr, Claiborne.
It's moves like these that separate a perennial super bowl team with a team that struggles to win playoff games despite having establish talent.

It's so nice and comfy being an armchair QB with hindsight at your disposal. Yeah, let's judge the front office using hindsight.

Be careful with Leary. You are going out on the limb with no hindsight to guide you right now. Wouldn't you much rather wait until you see what Leary does in Denver? Maybe Leary gets hurt or craps the bed out there. Same with Green and Cooper. Shouldn't you wait a little and see how the two play before you come here and tell everyone 'I told you so.' Otherwise, you might end up like @Risen Star who looked at his crystal ball and said Dak was a wasted 4th round pick and would never amount to anything in the NFL. Silly rabbit, first hindsight, then 'I told you so.'

And what do you know about 'overpaid?' Do you have inside knowledge about the negotiations and data on players' market value. I don't think so.

Team went 13-3 last year and you are nitpicking. Sort of like waking up and seeing your wife all of the sudden lost weight , changed her hairstyle, and is looking hot, and you complain about a few nose hairs and how much money was wasted on clothes that are too big now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe the fanbase doesn't have to sign off on each and every move as if it's genius? Maybe we can think for ourselves and siagree with those we feel aren't good ones?

Um..... no. You don't get to have it both ways on this one.

No, you're talking about a guy that can't make it through a practice, much less a game. If nothing else, Cooper has done that.