Roster Mismanagement

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same way Cooper is better than Green because he was picked earlier, even though he has flat sucked on every team he has played for.

Never claimed that whatsoever.

Save the strawman for someone else and talk about what has been said.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Thorton was a much better player in Philly even in 2015. He gave Zack Martin problems with zone run blocking. Getting paid seemed to kill his drive to succeed and he appeared to lose too much weight for some reason. It's not that much money in the big picture..

Exactly. Thornton was a good player in Philly, it really looks like the big payday made him fat and lazy. Not the first guy its happened with, but its disappointing for sure. If we had the same guy he was in Philly for the last two years it would have made a difference.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The only moves that bother me this past 6 months were letting both Church and Wilcox go because I don't trust Heath at all. Otherwise I am fine with it. I am in complete agreement in not paying Leary with his knee issues. If they want to start Green over Cooper, Coopers history would tell you why, although I thought he looked fine in the preseason.

One thing we fans never see is the players attitude with the coaches and that interaction. That can make a huge difference in who plays. When talent is close, the attitude makes the difference!

jjktkk

Reaction score
Maybe the fanbase doesn't have to sign off on each and every move as if it's genius? Maybe we can think for ourselves and siagree with those we feel aren't good ones?

Um..... no. You don't get to have it both ways on this one.

No, you're talking about a guy that can't make it through a practice, much less a game. If nothing else, Cooper has done that.
Says who? Who has ever said that Glazz Green was a better player than Cooper? It's certainly not been shown in the field this year.

And for what? 2 games? Are we going to point to two games last year as some vindication? Really?

Played more games, if nothing else.

Played well enough to be drafted as a top 10 overall pick.

And Chaz Green? What's he ever done except for getting injured even more and more often?

Are we just supposed to take people's word for it?
Sorry Stash, but neither Cooper, nor Green has shown enough consistency for one to say they won the job over the other imo. They're pretty much even imo. You worry about Green staying healthy, but that's why you signed Cooper in the off season for contingency purposes. You can shout to the moon about how Cooper having a better pedigree because of Cooper being a top 10 pick, but this is still Cooper's 4th team. Cooper hasn't even been close to living up to being a top 10 pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry Stash, but neither Cooper, nor Green has shown enough consistency for one to say they won the job over the other imo. They're pretty much even imo. You worry about Green staying healthy, but that's why you signed Cooper in the off season for contingency purposes. You can shout to the moon about how Cooper having a better pedigree because of Cooper being a top 10 pick, but this is still Cooper's 4th team. Cooper hasn't even been close to living up to being a top 10 pick.

I'm not even mentioning draft pedigree.

I'm talking about visual evidence.

Seeing Cooper play well during his start, and the offense moving the ball up and down the field vs Indianapolis.

And seeing Cooper being graded as the team's best offensive lineman after that game.

If anyone could show me the same visual evidence or grades for Chaz Green, and not simply reprinted talk without actual support, I'd be all in to see it. But, to date, I've seen nothing of the kind, and therefore nothing to support any talk of a competition for the left guard position.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Never claimed that whatsoever.

Save the strawman for someone else and talk about what has been said.

You clearly made the point he was a top 10 pick as part of your flawed reasoning why he should start over Green.
Save the poor takes on a better player than Cooper.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You clearly made the point he was a top 10 pick as part of your flawed reasoning why he should start over Green.
Save the poor takes on a better player than Cooper.

Show where I've made that argument here instead of making baseless claims.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If Cowboys trade for Aaron Donald, then who cares who the Cowboys missed on? Donald is still holding out and this is an opportunity to grab him for picks and our RKGs with "potential" - Crawford, Lawrence, Taco/Maliek, Brice, Bell, etc.

Take any 3 plus a first rounder - would Rams bite?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Cowboys trade for Aaron Donald, then who cares who the Cowboys missed on? Donald is still holding out and this is an opportunity to grab him for picks and our RKGs with "potential" - Crawford, Lawrence, Taco/Maliek, Brice, Bell, etc.

Take any 3 plus a first rounder - would Rams bite?

I'd vote "no".

Suh was considered "The best in the game" at DT and hasn't moved the needle very far for Miami.

Darius was considered one of the best in the game for Buffalo and hasn't moved the needle at all for the Bills.

These huge contracts for DT's just haven't panned out.

So you would end up being "married" to the guy for several seasons for a huge amount of money and cap space... AND you would have given the Rams loads of "resources".

No, no, no, no and NO.

On top of that I consider him a "me" guy for holding out.

Simply another strike against him.

NO.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'd vote "no".

Suh was considered "The best in the game" at DT and hasn't moved the needle very far for Miami.

Darius was considered one of the best in the game for Buffalo and hasn't moved the needle at all for the Bills.

So you would end up being "married" to the guy for several seasons for a huge amount of money and cap space... AND you would have given the Rams loads of "resources".

No, no, no, no and NO.

NO.

Miami made the playoffs last year on the strength of their defense.

Reactions: BAT

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Miami made the playoffs last year on the strength of their defense.

Neither side of the ball was great for Miami last season... Their defense ranked 29th in yards given up. Their offense ranked 24th in yards gained.

Miami had two things going for it... Great running game and they played in the same division as Buffalo & the Jets.

Suh had 5 sacks last season (same as Collins) and the Dolphins had issues vs. run.

Good player? You bet.

Game changer? No.

Worth all that money? Hell no.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'd vote "no".

No, no, no, no and NO.

NO.

Not surprised by your stance. I always know your vote Mike, the question for was for the rest of CZ. :D

But to review your points:

1) Neither Suh nor Dareus are the kind of 3 techs that Marinelli covets - Aaron Donald is exactly the kind of 3 tech for a Marinelli 4-3.
2) I would rather pay Donald over Crawford, Lawrence, Brice and Bell combined. And Donald is more talented than Maliek or Taco. Not even close.
3) Who cares about the Rams and our leftovers, I mean "resources"
4) Married to an ALL-PRO, versus a bunch of guys with "potential" - where do I sign??? Especially when Cowboys are contending for a Lombardi THIS SEASON.
5) yes, Yes, YES, YES!!
6) Aaron Donald is "me" guy for holding out? Was Emmitt a "me" guy too? Maybe we just need more uber-talented players (especially on D), "me" guys or not.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm stunned to see a couple reports out there that are baffling to me. The only conclusion I can come to and maybe this is my own bias, but it seems people are trying to save face on previous decisions and are seriously doubling down.

Chaz Green expected to start at Left Guard over Jonathan Cooper and Kellen Moore to be re-signed?

Absolutely baffled by both of these moves on top of the slew of JAGs we brought in last minute who have no knowledge of the system in Dallas.

Moore has proven he can't play and at best you're going to rob Rush of *some* reps.

Green has proven he can't stay healthy but they're going to plug him in there at guard because they invested a 3rd round pick on him and they still have two years of his contract whereas Cooper is a free agent at the end of the year and I'm sure they don't want to have to pay Martin and him if Cooper progresses. At this rate you can probably sign Cooper again to an extension without paying him if he doesn't start.

This mismanagement is also highlighted with the Cedric Thornton release. They gave this guy 3 million guaranteed for this season and most of us knew he was a JAG from day 1. The same can be said for Nolan Carroll.
I don't know, GB.
Will Clay and crew seem to have thing orchestated fairly well as far as overall roster strategy. Imo
Wish they could find a pass rush though.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Neither side of the ball was great for Miami last season... Their defense ranked 29th in yards given up. Their offense ranked 24th in yards gained.

Miami had two things going for it... Great running game and they played in the same division as Buffalo & the Jets.

Suh had 5 sacks last season (same as Collins) and the Dolphins had issues vs. run.

Good player? You bet.

Game changer? No.

Worth all that money? Hell no.

Why are you comparing Maliek to Suh??? We are talking about Aaron Donald, the most dominant interior defender in the game. And Donald is still only 26.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/22...d-contract-defensive-line-market-a24c61d31e69

Last edited:

stiletto

Reaction score
Moore taking a roster spot is just negligence. I feel comfortable in my favorite underwear but that doesn't mean I should wear it everyday......

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not surprised by your stance. I always know your vote Mike, the question for was for the rest of CZ. :D

But to review your points:

1) Neither Suh nor Dareus are the kind of 3 techs that Marinelli covets - Aaron Donald is exactly the kind of 3 tech for a Marinelli 4-3.
2) I would rather pay Donald over Crawford, Lawrence, Brice and Bell combined. And Donald is more talented than Maliek or Taco. Not even close.
3) Who cares about the Rams and our leftovers, I mean "resources"
4) Married to an ALL-PRO, versus a bunch of guys with "potential" - where do I sign??? Especially when Cowboys are contending for a Lombardi THIS SEASON.
5) yes, Yes, YES, YES!!
6) Aaron Donald is "me" guy for holding out? Was Emmitt a "me" guy too? Maybe we just need more uber-talented players (especially on D), "me" guys or not.

Hmm.

Still no.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Too expensive.

Not enough of a difference maker for the cost incurred.

Luv ya Mike, but you are stark raving bonkers. Donald led the entire NFL in DT knockdowns (sacks plus hits), the next closest DT was almost 20 away (Geno Atkins & Fletcher Cox). Donald is only behind Khalil Mack and Von Miller in total pressures. If Aaron Donald is not worth the money, then there are ZERO defensive players who are worth the money.

As for difference maker, only you would say he was not enough of a difference maker - crazy as a loon man! :D