Roster Mismanagement

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The pertinent numbers, Aaron Donald had more than twice the total tackles and almost twice the number of sacks. He did so even with consistent double, sometimes triple, teamed.

That Donald's team ranked lower in team defense against the run is only tangentially related to our discussion. That you say you're not going to cherry pick but throw this stat as the most integral to DT production is nonsensical especially because not many teams ran against the Cowboys because they were either behind and had to pass (our run game also forces teams to abandon run because it shortens game) or opposing offenses were specifically targeting our secondary due to all our injuries/inability to sack the passer.

D ranking against the run is a poor argument to determine how important each of the DTs were to their respective teams success.

It's part of an argument. Not an entire argument. Just as sacks are part of an argument and not an entire one.

Donald is the better player, by far, and no matter how much you want to spin it, no sane person could argue otherwise.

I never claimed otherwise. But he's certainly not "20-times" better.

And 20 times the production is not only unrealistic, it's a ridiculous expectation.

It's called return on investment.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maliek is poor to,average against the run, it's been his weakness since Nebraska. Maliek had less than half of Donald's total tackles in 2016 (23 vs. 48). Maliek would give up his first born to even sniff Donald's 69 total tackles in 2015.

You would have done better not to even go there.
Donald did have 172 more snaps on defense.

Collins played the most snaps of anyone on the Cowboys DL.

Collins was a rookie that missed training camp with an injury and played a different scheme/position in college.

J817

Reaction score
The fact the Giants, Igglets, and Deadskins didnt bring this guy in to even pick his brain is pretty telling...let alone all 31 other teams. The only place this kid belongs on Sunday is the booth or on the sideline in a jump suit. Wasted spot where a 25 yr old LB like a Jelani Jenkins could come in.

Do we know for sure they didn't try? Im sure when Moore it was cut it was implied to him they were signing him back.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You are using a preseason game against the Colts as evidence. Seriously?

He was blocking Jon Hankins who is one of the best run defenders in the league over the past couple of years. Yes that is a good matchup to evaluate.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I refuse to cut Rod any slack, he blew up the DB's he's responsible. I feel this team is /was ready to make a run, we'll see. I hope I eat crow.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm stunned to see a couple reports out there that are baffling to me. The only conclusion I can come to and maybe this is my own bias, but it seems people are trying to save face on previous decisions and are seriously doubling down.

Chaz Green expected to start at Left Guard over Jonathan Cooper and Kellen Moore to be re-signed?

Absolutely baffled by both of these moves on top of the slew of JAGs we brought in last minute who have no knowledge of the system in Dallas.

Moore has proven he can't play and at best you're going to rob Rush of *some* reps.

Green has proven he can't stay healthy but they're going to plug him in there at guard because they invested a 3rd round pick on him and they still have two years of his contract whereas Cooper is a free agent at the end of the year and I'm sure they don't want to have to pay Martin and him if Cooper progresses. At this rate you can probably sign Cooper again to an extension without paying him if he doesn't start.

This mismanagement is also highlighted with the Cedric Thornton release. They gave this guy 3 million guaranteed for this season and most of us knew he was a JAG from day 1. The same can be said for Nolan Carroll.
Moore is only backup QB with NFL experience . It makes sense. Most likely they didn't think Rush would clear waivers and hence the intial move. Like I've maintained throughout if Dak goes down for the season I'd expect the call to go out to Romo.

Green despite his chronic injury history has more experience and the greater talent . If he can play, that's who you go with.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Defense looks like a hot mess right now to me.

Too many injuries to rookies, too many suspensions.

Seeing Nolan Carroll hold down a starting spot heading into the season torpedos my confidence in this unit.

It feels like we're on a treadmill right now when it comes to rebuilding this dline. Mayowa, Moore, Crawford, Paea...my goodness how could you sit idle with this group and claim to be serious about winning a Super Bowl? We have the worst front seven in the division and on top of that an extremely green back end.
there are two types of people. problem finders and solution finders.

you are "finding" problems, but haven't offered one solution. lets play fantasy football. what would you have done?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
3 moves dictate roster mismanagement.....how about the other 20 plus moves we've made? I swear you guys just look for things to nitpick about. Green is a better guard than Cooper.....they traded for some special teams guys to strengthen it.....

How can you consider these moves mismanagement when the season hasn't even started yet?

Macnalty

Reaction score
Donald did have 172 more snaps on defense.

Collins played the most snaps of anyone on the Cowboys DL.

Collins was a rookie that missed training camp with an injury and played a different scheme/position in college.
Most importantly played injured last year with the same injury Dez missed most of the season the year before, he is capable of a big improvement just with his recovery.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
1. Chaz Green is the better player, and it has nothing to do with draft status. I really don't get the uproar over this? Cooper is on what his 4th team? He's not the same guy who was entering the draft. There's no weird conspiracy here about signing him after this season. You think they'd really risk a full season of starting so they won't have to pay him? Highly doubtful. They obviously have concerns over his play.

2. The KM deal is meh who were they going to bring in as a vet who knows the system? They didn't want to risk losing Rush, and they knew nobody would snag Moore. Really no big deal

3. Can't comment on the guys they brought in over the weekend, but what's been posted is positive stuff and the 2 guys from GB seem to have talent and fill some needs.

4. Thornton was a 3-4 guy going to a 4-3 who we all thought could make the transition. Obviously as other posters have pointed out he doesn't have a fletcher cox next to him here. He just wasn't a fit.

5. As far as Nolan? Yea beats me, I don't understand this one at all.

I think at the end of the day it's not all doom and gloom or complete mismanagement, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We get to see what some of these guys have this Sunday with game plans and assignments.
Agree with all your points. Let's face it, Nolan will lose his starting status to Chido at some point in the season which is a good thing. I think making Chido earn that starting job on game days is good roster management.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore is only backup QB with NFL experience . It makes sense. Most likely they didn't think Rush would clear waivers and hence the intial move. Like I've maintained throughout if Dak goes down for the season I'd expect the call to go out to Romo.

Green despite his chronic injury history has more experience and the greater talent . If he can play, that's who you go with.

pzv5j7l.jpg

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
He was blocking Jon Hankins who is one of the best run defenders in the league over the past couple of years. Yes that is a good matchup to evaluate.

Preseason game and had a bum ankle.

He (Cooper) has been with three teams in four years, while I do think playing next to Frederick can help any player let's stop pretending he is anything more than a journeyman at this stage.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Preseason game and had a bum ankle.

He (Cooper) has been with three teams in four years, while I do think playing next to Frederick can help any player let's stop pretending he is anything more than a journeyman at this stage.

Hankins was two weeks removed from said lower ankle sprain and so what if it was preseason. Preseason being less competition is about scheme not about guys not trying.

You make excuses for your arguments instead of talking about his play.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Hankins was two weeks removed from said lower ankle sprain and so what if it was preseason. Preseason being less competition is about scheme not about guys not trying.

You make excuses for your arguments instead of talking about his play.

You are making excuses for Cooper's horrid play over three plus seasons. This is a joke to even be arguing. Green is a far superior player until Cooper proves he can do it in a REGULAR season game. Green has looked above average when he has played, Cooper is on his fourth team.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You are making excuses for Cooper's horrid play over three plus seasons. This is a joke to even be arguing. Green is a far superior player until Cooper proves he can do it in a REGULAR season game. Green has looked above average when he has played, Cooper is on his fourth team.

have anything better than a throwaway pejorative to describe his play? He did not play poorly at Cleveland. He was hurt in Boston and Phoenix which kept him from playing.

Green was regularly late on his punch when play guard. He let DT into his pads and when he got clubbed he was knocked off balance backwards several yards. He had 1 time he was stunted on and one time he was blitzed. He missed both.

That is not above average.