Roster Mismanagement

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Luv ya Mike, but you are stark raving bonkers. Donald led the entire NFL in DT knockdowns (sacks plus hits), the next closest DT was almost 20 away (Geno Atkins & Fletcher Cox). Donald is only behind Khalil Mack and Von Miller in total pressures. If Aaron Donald is not worth the money, then there are ZERO defensive players who are worth the money.

As for difference maker, only you would say he was not enough of a difference maker - crazy as a loon man! :D

He's a great player BAT... No question.

Just not worth the combined salary + the resources that would need to be invested in order to acquire him.

On top of that the sitting out thing just rubs me the wrong way... Screams "selfish".

Reactions: BAT

Verdict

Reaction score
People would defend this front office for the next 10 years without results.

CowboysStarter88 says that we all thought he could make a transition? No we didn't. First he came from the Eagles and was already playing in a 4-3. Second, he was not good when we signed him and overpaid him from day 1. The Cowboys have this pension for signing very low rated players to mid card money, and fans back them because they must know what they're doing... They don't.

Ron Leary's contract is a bit much, so I won't be too hard on them for not re-signing him. My point at guard is I've seen Green and Cooper play, and Cooper is better than Green and he isn't as injury prone. This is clearly about the draft pick and the contracts.

You think them signing/trading for JAGs is new. My point is, it isn't at all new. They make a couple of the same mistakes over and over again. They overpay players and they tend to keep them entirely longer than what is logical.

Tyrone Crawford - overpaid.
Nolan Carroll - overpaid.
Benson Mayowa - overpaid.

Why did we keep Hayden for so long? Doug Free? Kyle Wilber? How is Jeff Heath slated to start?

They did the same with Carr, Claiborne.

It's moves like these that separate a perennial super bowl team with a team that struggles to win playoff games despite having establish talent.

I feel your pain but I think Heath will prove you wrong.

RS12

Reaction score
[QUOTE="chicago JK, post: 7480714, member: 47"]I do find it comical that every year, some posters think we have one of the best and deepest rosters in the league and how we will have 5-6 of our cuts that get picked up. Sometimes that happens. But usually like this year, we wind up picking 2-4 guys off the street who the team thinks are upgrades over guys they have had all summer.[/QUOTE]

What a coincidence, so do I.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Guys, guys. Let's calm down. This Front Office finally realized that Kellen Moore is not a NFL-caliber quarterback and made the correct call to move on.

Wait, what's that?

We finally did something about the poor safety play though.

You say that the guy who wasn't good enough to beat out Church or Wilcox is now the starter?

Okay, but we did something about the lack of pass rush right?

Alright, carry on OP.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I think jeff heath and the dallas secondary will get beat all night by the giants both cowboys safeties are just average players

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Luv ya Mike, but you are stark raving bonkers. Donald led the entire NFL in DT knockdowns (sacks plus hits), the next closest DT was almost 20 away (Geno Atkins & Fletcher Cox). Donald is only behind Khalil Mack and Von Miller in total pressures. If Aaron Donald is not worth the money, then there are ZERO defensive players who are worth the money.

As for difference maker, only you would say he was not enough of a difference maker - crazy as a loon man! :D

I have to ask, how many more sacks did Donald get than our own 3-tech Maliek Collins?

If I'm going to back up the money truck for Donald and displace my current 3-tech, I'd need a whole lot more productivity in return.

:huh:

John813

Reaction score
Guys, guys. Let's calm down. This Front Office finally realized that Kellen Moore is not a NFL-caliber quarterback and made the correct call to move on.

Wait, what's that?

We finally did something about the poor safety play though.

You say that the guy who wasn't good enough to beat out Church or Wilcox is now the starter?

Okay, but we did something about the lack of pass rush right?

Alright, carry on OP.

The Cowboys did not ignore the safety position in the draft, along with the pass rush.

Heath is the starter for now, but no guarantee he is the starter throughout the season or plays every snap. More than likely Woods and Frazier will be subbed in throughout the games unless one runs away at the position.

There weren't too many options for passrush in FA or the draft. The best DE on the market was JPP, but he ended up staying with the Giants.
What were you expecting, a Madden style trade for a proven passrusher?
We have a collection of meh/decent DEs along with some unproven guys(Tapper/Taco). It's to be determined how it pans out.

The team is, for better or worse, not going after top FAs to build the team.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys did not ignore the safety position in the draft, along with the pass rush.

Heath is the starter for now, but no guarantee he is the starter throughout the season or plays every snap. More than likely Woods and Frazier will be subbed in throughout the games unless one runs away at the position.

There weren't too many options for passrush in FA or the draft. The best DE on the market was JPP, but he ended up staying with the Giants.
What were you expecting, a Madden style trade for a proven passrusher?
We have a collection of meh/decent DEs along with some unproven guys(Tapper/Taco). It's to be determined how it pans out.

The team is, for better or worse, not going after top FAs to build the team.

You replied the way you should to CIA... What options does he suggest the Cowboys should have taken instead of the path they did?

jjktkk

Reaction score
Show where I've made that argument here instead of making baseless claims.
[QUOTE="chicago JK, post: 7480714, member: 47"]I do find it comical that every year, some posters think we have one of the best and deepest rosters in the league and how we will have 5-6 of our cuts that get picked up. Sometimes that happens. But usually like this year, we wind up picking 2-4 guys off the street who the team thinks are upgrades over guys they have had all summer.

What a coincidence, so do I.[/QUOTE]

Then you have the other faction of posters, who go way overboard overanalyzing bottom of the roster personnel moves. You'd would think, that a team coming of a 13-3 season with a young, talented, roster, their would be some optimism, but no, they just have to knit pick roster churning moves from their recliner. Oh well, guess that's what makes the Cowboyszone world go round.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I have to ask, how many more sacks did Donald get than our own 3-tech Maliek Collins?

If I'm going to back up the money truck for Donald and displace my current 3-tech, I'd need a whole lot more productivity in return.

:huh:

He had 11 last season compare to Maliek's 5. But it's the pressures and knockdowns that tell the bigger story. Donald is who opposing offenses game plan against, he is a legit game changer. Cowboys have no such player on entire D.

Comparing Donald to Maliek is very unfair to Maliek. Maliek is nowhere near the player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had 11 last season compare to Maliek's 5. But it's the pressures and knockdowns that tell the bigger story. Donald is who opposing offenses game plan against, he is a legit game changer. Cowboys have no such player on entire D.

Comparing Donald to Maliek is very unfair to Maliek. Maliek is nowhere near the player.

I think M.Collins is the most likely young player on the Cowboys roster to become an All-Pro caliber player.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think M.Collins is the most likely young player on the Cowboys roster to become an All-Pro caliber player.

Possible, but not probable. But even if that unlikelihood materialized in a year, or four, he'd still be no Aaron Donald.

Aaron Donald makes Cowboys D a legit championship D right now. Can't say that about Maliek.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Check your numbers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possible, but not probable. But even if that unlikelihood materialized in a year, or four, he'd still be no Aaron Donald.

Aaron Donald makes Cowboys D a legit championship D right now. Can't say that about Maliek.

You also can't say that you wouldn't be paying Donald 20-times Collins' current salary. At least.

They're about to make Martin the highest paid guard in the league. You can't pay everyone huge money.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Miami got Suh without giving up any picks.

They could sign the top Free Agent DL next year AND keep the draft picks.

How about Ezekiel Ansah or Kyle Williams and keep the draft picks?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Check your numbers.

My mistake he had 11 sacks in 2015, not 2016. But in his 3 years in the league he's collected two 1st team All Pros, 3 Pro Bowls and D Rook of the League.

In 3 years he's averaged 9.5 sacks:

2014 9 Sacks
2015 11 Sacks
2016 8 Sacks

He's done all this and more, do not discount the knockdowns, pressures and takeaways while being the focal point of opposing defenses and double teams. He's also a beast against the run. Comparing Maliek to Aaron Donald is inane. Malik would be lucky to be the next Geno Atkins.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Miami got Suh without giving up any picks.

They could sign the top Free Agent DL next year AND keep the draft picks.

How about Ezekiel Ansah or Kyle Williams and keep the draft picks?

Rather have best interior defender in the game, Aaron Donald. The 3 tech is what makes Marinelli's D hum, this known.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You also can't say that you wouldn't be paying Donald 20-times Collins' current salary. At least.

They're about to make Martin the highest paid guard in the league. You can't pay everyone huge money.

Rather pay Donald than Crawford, Thornton, Brice, Lawrence, etc. With Donald we'd have to rely more on vet mins and rooks, no problem with that. Game Changers do not come along every year. Besides you get what you pay for.

Rather pay Donald than a half dozen overrated players still trying to reach their potential in their 3+ years.