Drafted by Cowboys Round 3 pick 87 Dallas Cowboys take LB Marist Liufau Notre Dame

stiletto

Reaction score
Some of you think this kid was a reach and we could have selected him in the 5th or 6th round...Why? Because you did 1000 mock drafts and you're an expert now? This kid is a solid get and he is going to bring some intensity to the defense. Is he a starter in year one, probably not, but he is going to bring it and he will earn his stripes. Time will tell.
The cowboys will do something and get back into the 4th round and get that RB...count on it.
There is always a possibility he was someone's pet cat too and wouldn't have made it to the 5th but the consensus was he was a late 4th/5th even a 6th round guy. So those type players usually don't go all the way in the 3rd round. Not guaranteed but I bet the percentages are pretty low. Obviously he was a pet cat of Zimmer.. we'll see how it goes.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Nothing is guaranteed and you are just a guy on the forum with an opinion like the rest of us....it's my opinion that they reached big time but we'll see. Maybe he will be a Special Teamer superstar! LOL!!!
LOL, guess they finally found a replacement for the long gone Kenneth Gant.. sharkman.. Well, the only good thing you can say about him is at least he has two ACLs......

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Minus the drop foot jaylon was good lol his college game was really good but he was never the same after that
The injury itself healed, but Jaylon never got over the mental aspect of it.

Dude played like he was scared to death, literally jumping into the air making tackles so his foot/knee would not get pinned under a pile.

It happens to a lot of athletes that suffer gruesome injuries, they physically heal but they are never mentally the same because the fear of getting injured again never leaves their mind.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
There is always a possibility he was someone's pet cat too and wouldn't have made it to the 5th but the consensus was he was a late 4th/5th even a 6th round guy. So those type players usually don't go all the way in the 3rd round. Not guaranteed but I bet the percentages are pretty low. Obviously he was a pet cat of Zimmer.. we'll see how it goes.
At the end of the college football season and leading into the draft/ evaluating process Marist was looked at as a 3rd/4rth round pick. The pick is solid and is a position of need. Sure, I'm certain he had some keen eyes from the Dallas coaches, and they decided that Marist was a fit. Kendricks, Overshown, Clark, Marist and probably another will be added before this draft/UDAF is finished. Maybe Watson or Magee.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Payton Wilson’s medicals must be truly terrible.
Dude has had over 10 surgeries dating back to high school.

Both shoulders have been operated on and his right knee has had multiple operations.

He has no ACL in his right knee.......................it was reported on Twitter that most of the NFL teams "medically red flagged" him as a one-contract only player.

Cant fault the Cowboys for taking a pass on Wilson, but Liufau seems like a reach in the 3rd.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think they got a heck of a football player who fits the type of LB Zimmer likes.

I don't think he makes it to 174, and more to the point better chance of a RB who can help at 174 than LB.

Great coverage LB fun fact did not give up a WR TD is something like 400 pass coverage snaps (don't know the exact number)

Long arms, high motor, plays with a ton passion.

Not a regret at all in my mind in this pick.
allowed 91% catch completion while in coverage,strictly a 2 down LB.

Gambit

Reaction score
knee.......................it was reported on Twitter that most of the NFL teams "medically red flagged" him as a one-contract only player.
Yeah Broadus said the medicals were real bad. Didn't stop Pittsburgh.

It should be telling though if the one team who seemingly cares about medical concerns less than any other team passes on a player

I don't think the one contract only thing hinders Dallas, in fact that alone should've lit up Stephen's eyes like a little boy opening up his Red Rider BB gun on Christmas morning.

Gambit

Reaction score
He is an LB,does it matter when he is giving up almost every thing underneath.
It would matter if it were a high number though, right?

But since the answer is zero it doesn't matter.

Understand now thanks.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
This guy only does what Bell does better. This is Zim simply erasing Quinn. The team doesn’t benefit at all from this pick.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Can't say as I'm overly impressed with the players after round one that we've drafted. I'll reserve judgments on these players until they've had time to prove themselves. Sometimes, a professional setting makes a positive difference on a player's performance. Let's see if that's the case with the players that were acquired today. Hopefully, their experience in a professional setting will bring out the best in them.

I'm optimistic that Guyton will respond favorably, although, assuming he'll be exceptional, but without proving it just seems unduly premature. Nevertheless, I'll remain optimistic that they'll all prove they're worthy of what the Cowboys' brass thinks they are. We'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

Preoccupied

Reaction score
I'll remain optimistic that they'll all prove they're worthy of what the Cowboys' brass thinks they are. We'll see soon enough.
I do tend to think that way,plus the forum is too negative.
I /hope/want them all to make it.

So I grade them higher based on this.

B- for the pick

A+ for the Troy Aumua Polamalu wig
A+ for the sheen and shampoo to maintain it.

I have two concerns with this guy.
I will wait and see once he is out there if they come into fruition.