Roy Williams dropped 5 balls sunday.**Drops Debunked**

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Seven;2316142 said:
i watched most of the game(Ticket) and Williams was playin ball. He even pulled an Irvin and gestured his first down he fought for. I don't know where some folks get their info, CL.

I dunno... They're Chicago homers, so maybe they were exaggerating.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2316196 said:
I dunno... They're Chicago homers, so maybe they were exaggerating.

no he did do the karate first down, he did kick the ball on a bouncer, he even at one point after a 3 and out took his gloves off and threw them and his lips said something to the sort "im done" but im also no lip reader

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Tobal;2315737 said:
Realisitically what are we going to get for that one next yr?

I figure are needs are

WR
OT
DE
MLB
S

A 1st round WR scares the hell out of me, Felix and Jenkins, great, but I think we got lucky last yr.

Who makes more impact on this team now and even next yr (Prop even longer)

Order me one huge nose tackle for next years draft... Does Ted Washington have any big boys in college ready for the NFL draft yet...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;2316183 said:
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. Right now we know as much as anybody else about what's going on, which is to say not much. Sure Roy would like to get the hell outta there, and sure we need a WR, but so do a lot of other teams. I think the Eagles have more to offer the Lions than we do at this point, and they'd love a #1 guy to go with DeSean Jackson. That's worst case for us.
No team is going to trade for him other than us. Every team out there knows he wants to play for Dallas. It isn't a secret. He will play for someone else, but the money would have to be outrageous. No one is going to trade for a guy they know they cannot sign to a long term deal.

A month ago people were ready to give up two 1st round picks for Roy, now it's a 3rd.
Not everybody so it isn't fair to brand anyone. I never said I was good with two 1sts, and I am the one reporting a 3rd.

I bet you there are about 10 other NFL team forums right now where people are speculating about what their team would give up to get Roy. And contrary to what Roy may want, the fact that he wants to be in Texas has nothing to do with how things shake out, he's not a FA. If he's dealt, it'll be to who offers the Lions the most, not which team would put Roy closer to his family and friends.
Wrong. At the end of this year he is an Unrestricted Free Agent, which means that any team who signs him will lose him at the end of this year unless they can sign him long term. No one else is going to take that chance.

Not to mention that having 20 mil a year tied up at #1 and #2 WR for us might be a little bit of an issue.
It won't be that much and it won't be an issue. We're in great cap shape.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Hostile;2316333 said:
No team is going to trade for him other than us. Every team out there knows he wants to play for Dallas. It isn't a secret. He will play for someone else, but the money would have to be outrageous. No one is going to trade for a guy they know they cannot sign to a long term deal.

Not everybody so it isn't fair to brand anyone. I never said I was good with two 1sts, and I am the one reporting a 3rd.

Wrong. At the end of this year he is an Unrestricted Free Agent, which means that any team who signs him will lose him at the end of this year unless they can sign him long term. No one else is going to take that chance.

It won't be that much and it won't be an issue. We're in great cap shape.

Hos, since you have some perspective, behind closed doors, has he told the Lions that he will not sign with them or any other team he does not want to play for?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
TheCount;2316183 said:
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. Right now we know as much as anybody else about what's going on, which is to say not much. Sure Roy would like to get the hell outta there, and sure we need a WR, but so do a lot of other teams. I think the Eagles have more to offer the Lions than we do at this point, and they'd love a #1 guy to go with DeSean Jackson. That's worst case for us.

A month ago people were ready to give up two 1st round picks for Roy, now it's a 3rd.

I bet you there are about 10 other NFL team forums right now where people are speculating about what their team would give up to get Roy. And contrary to what Roy may want, the fact that he wants to be in Texas has nothing to do with how things shake out, he's not a FA. If he's dealt, it'll be to who offers the Lions the most, not which team would put Roy closer to his family and friends.

Not to mention that having 20 mil a year tied up at #1 and #2 WR for us might be a little bit of an issue.

Really? He won't have any say? Huh...funny how it worked out perfectly for TO to refuse to take the trade to Baltimore.

Roy will have a say because in order to get a trade done it's going to have to be with a team that knows that he's going to willing resign with them. If you try and trade him to Oakland, or Miami, or somewhere that he's not going to be willing to report, or resign, then you're not going to get the deal done.

So, yeah, he'll actually have a lot more say in where he goes than some would like to think. That just doesn't mean that Dallas is the only place he'd consider.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316342 said:
Hos, since you have some perspective, behind closed doors, has he told the Lions that he will not sign with them or any other team he does not want to play for?
He would stay with the Lions, but they cannot do it. Number one, they are in horrible cap shape. Number two their HC and OC want to change their Offense to a power running attack.

The other thread about Barber is pure BS. They are very happy with Rudi Johnson so far and Kevin Smith is still very important to them. There is not a shred of truth to that article.

The fact of the matter is they need to rebuild and you do that through the Draft and by clearing cap room. The only thing that makes sense for them is trade Roy for picks. Anything else they try to do will backfire.

I was told that Roy instructed his agent before last season, "get me to Dallas." That is an exact quote. I tend to believe the agent has let the Lions know in so many words exactly what will work and what they will agree to. To this point Roy and his agent have done everything exactly right. They didn't hold out. They didn't cause distractions. he said the right things.

Now it is up to Detroit to realize what they are up against. Will they? I honestly don't know and that is why I have never been 100% sure of any of this. I posted this article last night.

Do the Lions need to dump Roy Williams ASAP?
Absolutely. He's of greater value to them as a 2009 draft pick that a new general manager and coach could find useful. They won't get a first-rounder for him. They blew that on draft day when Dallas reportedly offered a first-round draft pick for Williams, but Matt Millen balked. They might be lucky to get a third-round pick for him now because teams know the Lions must move him.
Williams isn't a malcontent. He's not as good as he thinks he is, but it's not his fault this organization sucked the competitive spirit out of him.
The Lions could've done that to Vince Lombardi.

Everything I have said so far has been verified through articles except for one thing. Roy's instructions to his agent. I am the only person who has ever shared that info.

BTW, hate that avatar man.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
we have the players to win--i'm beginning to see the problem is on the sidelines

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
Hostile;2316373 said:
BTW, hate that avatar man.

Blame the Commanders. If I'm caught taking it down before the end of the year then I have to add a pic of George Michael in shorty-shorts to my sig. :mad:

juck

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316394 said:
Blame the Commanders. If I'm caught taking it down before the end of the year then I have to add a pic of George Michael in shorty-shorts to my sig. :mad:

make it big! :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I'll still take Roy, don't care about a few drops. I'd much rather have Boldin though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316394 said:
Dude, that is cruel and unusual punishment. That's against the Bill of Rights. End of the year? Crap.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316394 said:

Definite banning offense................100 years, I think.

shnagy

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316394 said:

Ever consider changing your screen name? :laugh2:

khiladi

Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=7fe98704-332c-4247-b009-c7f83f885dfd

ALLEN PARK, MICH. - Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams believes he's part of the solution and not part of the problem. Williams said he was taunted by fans chanting "Trade Roy Williams" during Sunday's loss to Chicago in much the way they chanted "Fire (Matt) Millen.''
"It's crazy," Williams said.

With the team struggling, Williams has become a new fan target. He kicked the ground and stormed off the field Sunday when a pass was sent wide of him.

"When we don't execute, it gets to me," Williams said after watching film Monday. "I could just go off the field, take off my helmet and gloves and sit down and people would say I didn't care."

Williams was the subject of trade talk prior to April's NFL draft and with the trade deadline approaching a week from Tuesday, his name has again popped up with his contract set to expire after this season.

"I have no interest (in being traded)," Williams said. "I'm going to be here and I've been given assurances unless something big happens."

Brash and animated on and off the field, Williams feels he may have gotten a bad reputation.

"People compare me to T.O. (Terrell Owens), but I don't talk as much," Williams said. "I just want to win."

One of four wide receivers to be taken in six years by former general manager Matt Millen, Williams still feels that they can win in Detroit.

"People might not believe, players might not believe, but this place can be a winner and when it does, I hope to be part of it," Williams said.

Marinelli won't quit

In a fashion similar to former president Matt Millen, Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said Monday that he would never quit his job with the team.
"Oh, heck no," Marinelli said at his weekly press conference. "Just you saying that to me, I would take that as a personal insult and I would challenge you on that one."

Marinelli's team has lost four straight games to start the season and is 1-11 in his last 12 games and 10-26 under his leadership. Bobby Ross quit in 2000 and the club finished 9-7, but missed the playoffs and Millen was hired.
"I'd never do that, never," Marinelli said. "I believe in what I'm doing 100 per cent and I'm going to fight every single day that I have that opportunity."

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
shnagy;2316527 said:
Ever consider changing you screen name? :laugh2:

I've considered poking my eyes out. Actually, my wife would rat me out. She is taking great pleasure in this and actually busted me for not putting it up immediatly after the loss to the Skins.

shnagy

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316540 said:
I've considered poking my eyes out. Actually, my wife would rat me out. She is taking great pleasure in this and actually busted me for not putting it up immediatly after the loss to the Skins.

Wow! Now that is harsh.

khiladi

Reaction score
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2008/10/06/sports/pro/doc48e9e0cbee885406226017.txt

Williams wants to stay
Story Monday, October 6, 2008 6:10 AM EDT

By DAVID BIRKETT
Of The Oakland Press
DETROIT — Roy Williams says he wants to remain a Lion, but his body language suggests otherwise.

Williams grew visibly frustrated several times during Detroit’s 34-7 loss to the Bears Sunday. He stormed to the bench after one incomplete pass, tossed his gloves after another, and kicked angrily into the air when Dan Orlovsky grounded a throw in his direction late in the third quarter.

“All I want to do is win,” Williams said. “People want to compare me with (Terrell Owens) and all that stuff. I don’t talk half as much as T.O. talks. All I just want to do is win, man, and it’s not happening.”

Williams caught a gamehigh seven passes Sunday for 96 yards. A free agent after the season, he said he doesn’t want or expect to be traded before the Oct. 14 deadline, though vice president Tom Lewand said after the game “you always listen” to offers.

“I’m not going nowhere, man,” Williams said. “Sorry to inform you and all the fans, I’m stuck. Sorry, sorry people.”

Told his body language makes it seem otherwise, Williams said he’s just frustrated with the Lions’ 0-4 start.

“Let me clarify this for everybody,” Williams said. “If I didn’t want to be here I wouldn’t go in. You can fine me. I got the money to sit down on the sideline. So if I didn’t want to be here I wouldn’t play.

“When the ball’s thrown my way I’m trying to get to the end zone, that’s my job. So when you see me catch a ball, if I don’t give you the first down sign I don’t want to be here.”

Lewand said the Lions have not had trade discussions with any team involving Williams.

Back out?

The loudest cheers at Ford Field Sunday — after the Pop Warner exhibition game at halftime — came early in the third quarter when Orlovsky replaced Jon Kitna at quarterback.

Kitna said he suffered lowerback spasms in the first quarter and his back “locked up” at halftime. He completed just 8 of 16 passes for 74 yards, but Lions coach Rod Marinelli said Kitna’s benching had nothing to do with his performance.

Asked if he expects to play more the rest of the season, Orlovsky, who was 13 of 23 passing for 97 yards, said, “I would love to be the guy for this team. If Coach feels the best chance for us to win is with Jon, then I respect that. I’m just going to go out and continue to do my job and be prepared. Whatever Coach’s decision is, that’s what I’ll need to go with.”

Briefly

Kevin Smith started at tailback Sunday despite saying earlier this week that runningbacks coach Sam Gash said he would backup Rudi Johnson. “I was always starting,” Johnson told reporters after the game. “Y’all wrote that in the paper.” ... In four games, the Lions have been outscored 38-0 in first quarter. ... Sunday’s 27-point loss marked Detroit’s worst home defeat since a 41-9 loss to Indianapolis on Thanksgiving Day 2004. ... Cornerback Brian Kelly, a former starter, dressed but not play Sunday.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
juckie;2315680 said:
Roy Williams is ok.He was great in college.He is overated on this board because he a Texas guy.Is he a better option then Crayton ?yes,but i wouldnt give a one to him now as i have been reading and paying attention.We arent getting any new WR this year,unless for some wild reason we grab Glenn back.I think we get Ocho or Boldin or draft one next year.
So basically you made up the original post?