Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340187 said:
I think other teams would have offerred similar compensation like the Eagles but I assumed Roy had a say in where he wanted to play and I know he wanted to play for Dallas so that would give us the edge in signing him.

Do you think another team like the Eagles would have offerred a first and a third round pick for him?

Beats me, but I don't think the Lions would have settled for just a first-round pick if they franchised him. I think a first and third would be about the minimum they'd accept. If nobody offered that, they would have kept him around. The fact that we threw in a sixth-round pick is virtually irrelevant, and the fact that we got him NOW instead of next offseason is a huge bonus.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
zrinkill;2340875 said:
Come on Riggo ..... if your team had signed him you would be excited.

They sure were excited when they got Brandon Lloyd.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
This just proves Jerry will do anything to win. Don't blame him. We havn't won a damn playoff game in 12 years.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I was just listening to his interview, at Dallascowboys.com, and Roy is an ultimate team player. He said he know TO is the #1 and that he'll be the #2, the #3, whatever it takes to help this team win cause winning is all that matters to him. He's coming in to learn from TO and to take the double coverage off TO.

This guy isn't going to cause any issues for TO, at all.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I just turned on espn for the first time today and this is all their talking about. They talk about roy williams and pacman and then they keep mentioning that we havent won a playoff game in 12 years, followed by analysts laughing and shaun king saying we are going 8-8.

Dont they have anything else to cover. I flip over to the nfl network and this is all they are talking about and marshall faulk is laughing at Dallas saying it is hard knocks.

Pretty sad. go cover the baseball playoffs. Espn is an even bigger joke than I even think it is. Shaun king saying we are going 8-8 is just absurd. He kept predicting our doom last year to and trying to explain why romo is not a good qb. Pretty funny. the one thing that does concern me is if anyone knows about mediocore football it would be shaun king. So maybe I should be worried.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Check this out, and you will see one reason why the Cowboys and Eagles have been trying to trade for Roy Williams:

In two game vs the Eagles # 11 has done this to them:

9-204-1 TD LG 91 (2007; @Philadelphia)

9-135-2 TD LG 29 (2004)

Here are some other interesting numbers for him:

6-106-0 LG 28 (2007; Giants)

3-36-0 LG 16 (2007; Washington)

9-139-0 LG 28 (2006; Rams)

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
theebs,

Yeah. If the Eagles would have made the trade, it would be...

The Eagles are going to the Super Bowl. Donavan McNabb... blah...blah...blah...

Couldn't you just hear Chris Berman and his crew right now. I thought it was funny how he gleefully talked up the Commanders when he usually hates on them.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
41gy#;2341269 said:
theebs,

Yeah. If the Eagles would have made the trade, it would be...

The Eagles are going to the Super Bowl. Donavan McNabb... blah...blah...blah...

Couldn't you just hear Chris Berman and his crew right now. I thought it was funny how he gleefully talked up the Commanders when he usually hates on them.

I find it comical the people espn employs.

Shawn king, chris carter, tom jackson, ron jaworski, merril hoge. they are the most outspoken and always talk about being leaders and what it takes to win and none of them ever won anything. Carter never even played in the superbowl.

The guys who work there that did win superbowls arent nearly as harsh. Its pretty funny.

The fox crew is a cast of champions. Jimmy, strahan, long and bradshaw. They dont talk about the players the way those morons at espn do.

I love listening to carter bag on people for what it takes to win. As if he had any idea what winning in big games was like. Always comical. he was awful on hbo and the two times I have watch espn in the morning on a sunday he is exactly the same.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
:hammer::hammer::hammer::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
theebs;2341283 said:
I find it comical the people espn employs.

Shawn king, chris carter, tom jackson, ron jaworski, merril hoge. they are the most outspoken and always talk about being leaders and what it takes to win and none of them ever won anything. Carter never even played in the superbowl.

The guys who work there that did win superbowls arent nearly as harsh. Its pretty funny.

The fox crew is a cast of champions. Jimmy, strahan, long and bradshaw. They dont talk about the players the way those morons at espn do.

I love listening to carter bag on people for what it takes to win. As if he had any idea what winning in big games was like. Always comical. he was awful on hbo and the two times I have watch espn in the morning on a sunday he is exactly the same.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ykc;2340786 said:
In general there is a lot of but kissing going on, on this board for Hostile, but I don't know given our offense for the last 3-4 weeks and our wide receivers are performing, this is a very good deal for us.

Are you upset that we payed an extra 3rd and 6th for him instead of a just a 1st round? because Seatle payed only a 1st round? I believe Branch was holding out during training camp and the NE know his value so they accepted what they could get for him. I don't believe he is even worth that from his last 3 years in Seattle. Also the Lions are rebuilding mode now, they don't want to part with a 27 year pro bowl caliber wihtout getting what they want, they don't have to blink, unlike Jerry who has a lot on the line.

Also we are not in rebuilding mode where we can keep our 3rd rounders and 6th rounders for 3 years to develop. I believe we have a window in the next 3-4 years o win the super bowl before it closes, so Jerry is putting all eggs into the basket now to protect his investment has has made last 2 years with singing bonuses

I agree that we needed to acquire another WR of Roy's calibre if we were to seriously contend. Without another legitimate receiving threat, I felt teams would suffocate Owens the way teams used to do to Michael Irvin after we lost Alvin Harper.

The Lions were under pressure to trade because Roy Williams is clearly not happy and teams don't want a malcontent in the locker room and will usually try to unload them if given reasonable compensation. I think a first round pick is reasonable. I don't think the Eagles would have given up as much as we did for Roy Williams. The Eagles have proven to be a rather cheap organization in the past.

That being said, I think we stood a good chance of acquiring him in free agency at the end of the season. People can guess and assume we would pay the exact same price we payed for him now at the end of the season but situations change and you can't say for sure that it would require a certain price. I don't think acquiring him this year significantly improves our chances of winning a championship because of our other problems so I would have preferred we wait to acquire him at the end of the season and weigh our options then.

I don't think you need to be a developing team to value 3rd round picks. Good teams draft well regardless of their situation and are always trying to develop their talent. This also helps add depth to a team.

In regards to the argument, I really was seeking how someone can say they know exactly what Detroit would have asked for in free agency should Williams be tagged. Of course, while the Cowboys are in trade talks with the Lions, the Lions are going to say one thing and make it appear as if they would ask for certain things to get a trade worked out now.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2340960 said:
Beats me, but I don't think the Lions would have settled for just a first-round pick if they franchised him. I think a first and third would be about the minimum they'd accept. If nobody offered that, they would have kept him around. The fact that we threw in a sixth-round pick is virtually irrelevant, and the fact that we got him NOW instead of next offseason is a huge bonus.

I don't think they would have kept him. Roy was clearly expressing his displeasure with his role in the offense and teams don't want a malcontent in the locker room or a side show to distract a developing team. Anyone can guess what would have occurred but I would have preferred to role the dice because I don't think we were in any hurry to acquire him this year. I don't think his addition really improves our chances of winning a Superbowl this year because we have problems in our secondary and Romo's injury isn't optimistic.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
parcells316;2338897 said:
Great job Hostile. You said it would happen as far back as April (or probably before that).

Well, there were more than a few of us touting the addition of Roy, back as far as the end of last season...

But Hos kept the home fires burning, and he brought home the bacon... so I'll give him props for helping make my dream come true... :D

So, what's our next big move, Hos??

silverbear

Reaction score
cowboys3128;2338921 said:
Ditto. Hos's sources were spot on. He took alot of heat because it didn't happen early in the year, but I blame that on the dysfunctional family that is the Lions!

Millen hates Hos, and deliberately stood in the way of this trade, just to stick it to our fearless admin...

silverbear

Reaction score
Clove;2338950 said:
My only question is, how do they put the names on the back with RW safety on the team as well? ;) edit: beat me to it QuanTran

R.S. (Safety) Williams
R.W. (Wideout) Williams

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Hostile;2339227 said:
I knew we were offering multiple picks, but I thought the 1st round pick was off the board. I guess Jerry though #32 is almost a 2nd anyway.

:grin:

No one we drafted in 2009 could help as much as Roy will in 2009. Haivng Crayton at #3 is a huge matchup problem for every Defense out there. Patrick Crayton just got more valuable to this Offense. The guy I feel for is Miles Austin. He could be the 3rd guy next year though. Tony really believes in him. He could actually beat Patrick for the 3rd spot.

No one will stop Witten now.
I think this pretty much seals us keeping 6 receivers next year, maybe even seven. I just dont see Miles, Sam, or Stanback let go.

It pretty much ensures the beloved Amendola will be sitting again next year.

calico

Reaction score
I still can't believe it finally happened. My favorite Longhorn outside of VY and someone who I have wanted in Dallas for years is finally here...