Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Its 2 firsts

PermalinkFranchise rules explained
Posted by Mike Sando @ 05:36:02 pm

From the NFL today: "A club can designate one 'franchise' player or one 'transition' player among its veteran free agents. No transition players were named for 2007. The salary offer by a player's club determines what type of franchise player he is.

"An 'exclusive' franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 20, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Freeney was designated by the Colts this year as an exclusive franchise player.

"If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a 'non-exclusive' franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

"The period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 2 through the 10th week of the season (Nov. 13).

"A transition player receives a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation."

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2007/02/22/franchise_rules_explained

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile;2340450 said:
I am not the least bit offended. You're the one getting upset because I won't say more than what I have already said. You can't accept the fact that I am not making something up. Okay. That's perfectly fine.

You were wrong in your assumptions. I tried to simply address that. If it is that upsetting to be wrong, I apologize to you for upsetting you.

It's pretty clear you are upset and I'm sorry if I upset you. I just think you need to relax and realize I'm not assailing you. I respect confidentiality. Maybe you have been getting asked a lot of questions like these for months and are sick of it but I haven't read this forum in a long time. I guess I should have PM'd you or something. It was my mistake, I just assumed the information I was asking was unspecific enough that you could provide that but if you can't provide it, I understand. Again, I don't know why you are taking this so personally. I'm not accusing you of making up anything or guessing. You are just reporting what your source is telling you. I just question your source and don't think he or she definitively knows the answer to what I seek.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340485 said:
It's pretty clear you are upset and I'm sorry if I upset you. I just think you need to relax and realize I'm not assailing you. I respect confidentiality. Maybe you have been getting asked a lot of questions like these for months and are sick of it but I haven't read this forum in a long time. I guess I should have PM'd you or something. It was my mistake, I just assumed the information I was asking was unspecific enough that you could provide that but if you can't provide it, I understand. Again, I don't know why you are taking this so personally. I'm not accusing you of making up anything or guessing. You are just reporting what your source is telling you. I just question your source and don't think he or she definitively knows the answer to what I seek.
Again, I am not offended.

Believe what you want.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340485 said:

why do you question the source know after it's proven right.....

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2340478 said:
Its 2 firsts

PermalinkFranchise rules explained
Posted by Mike Sando @ 05:36:02 pm

From the NFL today: "A club can designate one 'franchise' player or one 'transition' player among its veteran free agents. No transition players were named for 2007. The salary offer by a player's club determines what type of franchise player he is.

"An 'exclusive' franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 20, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Freeney was designated by the Colts this year as an exclusive franchise player.

"If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a 'non-exclusive' franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

"The period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 2 through the 10th week of the season (Nov. 13).

"A transition player receives a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation."

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2007/02/22/franchise_rules_explained

Thanks for the link. I believe you but then how did Branch and Price get traded for just one first round pick? That's why I assumed you could acquire a franchised player for just one first round pick

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile;2340502 said:
Again, I am not offended.

Believe what you want.

Fair enough, and you are entitled to question my intentions but I can assure you, I just wanted to know information. I never accused you of lying or guessing. If you got that impression, I'm sorry.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340507 said:
Thanks for the link. I believe you but then how did Branch and Price get traded for just one first round pick? That's why I assumed you could acquire a franchised player for just one first round pick
The compensation is negotiable once a trade has been accepted. If he is not traded then the compensation as defined is levied. So in other words, if you sign a franchise or transition player and it is not matched it costs you those conditions. You can accept a trade for Less. Seattle and Atlanta did.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile;2340549 said:
The compensation is negotiable once a trade has been accepted. If he is not traded then the compensation as defined is levied. So in other words, if you sign a franchise or transition player and it is not matched it costs you those conditions. you can accept a trade for Less. Seattle and Atlanta did.

Thanks for the response so technically it's possible to trade a franchised player for less than 2 first round picks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340564 said:
Thanks for the response so technically it's possible to trade a franchised player for less than 2 first round picks.
Absolutely.

jimmy40

Reaction score
TD22;2338872 said:
per NFL NETWORK......

Jerry is working on a long-term contract.......per ESPN.com
What a nice surprise this is after a long day of work.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
very happy to have roy williams on this team..

i worked with his 51 year old first cousin for 3 years.

he always told me he wanted to play for the cowboys.

sherman is his name and they look so much alike...only sherman is 51.

strong bloodline this family has..

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
HOLY FREAKN ****!!! sorry i couldnt help it, i havent tuned to tv or internet all day and didnt get a chance to see sumthing anywhere...

just wow....welcome ROY!!

rynochop

Reaction score
Great..this is Joey Galloway times 2. WR's dont win Superbowls..unknown draft pics do.

Sorry just kidding, i like it. Who are you gonna draft next year that can start?

Kalyan

Reaction score
In general there is a lot of but kissing going on, on this board for Hostile, but I don't know given our offense for the last 3-4 weeks and our wide receivers are performing, this is a very good deal for us.

Are you upset that we payed an extra 3rd and 6th for him instead of a just a 1st round? because Seatle payed only a 1st round? I believe Branch was holding out during training camp and the NE know his value so they accepted what they could get for him. I don't believe he is even worth that from his last 3 years in Seattle. Also the Lions are rebuilding mode now, they don't want to part with a 27 year pro bowl caliber wihtout getting what they want, they don't have to blink, unlike Jerry who has a lot on the line.

Also we are not in rebuilding mode where we can keep our 3rd rounders and 6th rounders for 3 years to develop. I believe we have a window in the next 3-4 years o win the super bowl before it closes, so Jerry is putting all eggs into the basket now to protect his investment has has made last 2 years with singing bonuses

mr.jameswoods;2340564 said:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340507 said:

They worked out a deal with the team that franchised the player. They rescinded the franchise tag in return for the first rounder.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;2338943 said:
at the start of the yr i didnt think dallas was a superbowl winner. i always thought they needed that other wr. i knew crayton austin and hurd were not the answer. i knew teams would take owens and witten out of the game eventually.

enter roy and this is done, sealed and delivered. they're already putting the cowboys name on the trophy

wow.

does this roy williams play D too?

classic. honestly, i feel like i'm at ES.

unreal.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2340313 said:
It's nothing personal but I think it matters as to where the source originates from. I'm not disputing the details of this current trade. I'm not suggesting the Lions would have accepted less. What I am disputing is the idea that the Lions would have absolutely demanded a 1st, and a 3rd in the offseason had Williams been franchised. If the source worked for the Lions or the Detroit press then I think there is some credibility to that. If your source is a Dallas-related source, then how would they know for a fact what Detroit would do in the offseason. So I'm not accusing you of lying or making up information but I would question your source's information if he or she was not directly tied to the Lions.
If you do a thread search for Roy Williams (WR) you will find Hostile informing us that Roy was on the radar for sometime now and the trade would likely happen right before the deadline. It happened just like that. What does it matter if the source claims the Lions would have absolutely demanded a 1st and 3rd? It's all irrelevant now. Roy Williams is a Cowboy and the Lions have an additional 1st and 3rd round pick. Great move by both sides.

rynochop;2340764 said:
Great..this is Joey Galloway times 2. WR's dont win Superbowls..unknown draft pics do.

Sorry just kidding, i like it. Who are you gonna draft next year that can start?

I think we have enough ammo to trade back into the late first round. If not, we can at least trade for an additional second round pick and maybe even another third round pick.

With that said, I think we will again go defensive with our first pick, whenever that is. I know it won't be popular, but I could see us drafting another LB. I have my eyes on ILB Laurinaitis from Ohio St., but it will take some work getting him without a first round pick. On the lower tier is ILB Spikes from Florida. If not a ILB, I still would like to gget someone that can generate consistant pressure from the DE position. Greg Middleton from Indiana or Tyson Jackson from LSU (I know, I know...not a popular school to draft from) could fit the bill.

If we do go offense with our first pick, rest assured, it will be a lineman, most likely a Tackle to eventually replace Adams. Black from LSU (again, I know, I know) is a solid left tackle that we would need a late first round pick to get.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
riggo;2340846 said:
wow.

unreal.

You think there wont be people going overboard for a few days?

Its a big move that most people have been waiting a year to happen. SO people are excited.

Once some football is played everything will get back to normal. Defense wins and ours needs to get better. Its going to be a fun journey the rest of the way.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
riggo;2340846 said:
wow.

unreal.

Come on Riggo ..... if your team had signed him you would be excited.

That guy is overdoing it ..... but come on be truthful.