Twitter: RT Terence Steele to remain starter

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Alternative....

Collins will be a backup this week. Then he'll the starting RT next week. MM just trying to bring him along slowly.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Here is what I would do.....slide Martin to LG...Collins to RG....Steele @ RT.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
So after listening to the press conference he didn't actually say this. Just that Steele would start the week at RT with the 1s.

Let's hope that changes and we don't sit a player twice as talented simply because the backup surpassed extremely low expectations.

Yep -- I got the impression that the coming practices are likely to be a trial to see which guy, La'el or Steele, offers the best chances w/the Vikes. He also seems open to replacing Williams with La'el if it seems workable. Changes that JG wouldn't have considered. It's bold, if nothing else. Hope it works.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Nice job Steele! Way to step up and claim that position!

Hopefully Collins is a team player about this.
Regardless of the position, players should practice hard to be the starter.
Accept the coach(es) decision if another is selected over them.
Cheer on their teammates during games to succeed; but always be ready to just do just as well or better whe their name\number is called.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That right there…lol. So many opinions by internet GM’s, scouts and coaches. Nobody on this forum has the access to data, practices, meeting rooms and most importantly, the expertise to make any freaking decisions when it comes to it. But yet with all that “know nothing”, we make opinions and swear we know more then the organization.

But I will admit that making 60k post, makes you a “Zone” expert!

They make awful decisions all of the time even with all of those added bonus’s.

I applaud them for Steele and what he has done. Nobody saw it coming after a year ago and that’s why I didn’t regret my opinion at the time. Plus everything the Cowboys do turns to gold right now.

Once I actually saw him play this year I started calling for a move back to guard for La’el weeks ago and that’s without all the advantages that coaches and scouts have.

ESisback

Reaction score
I honestly think they want the best five on the field, which is what they SHOULD do. Of course, no matter WHAT they do, SOMEONE will freak out!

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..

I asked for that move and they are actually looking at him at guard?

It’s hard not to read into this..

Are the Cowboys upset with him? Are they trying to motivate him? Do they just think Steele is better (doubtful).

Or.. Or… Is their a trade in the world before the deadline next week and by doing this it kinda sends a message to the league?

They really like Steele to do this.
They just want their best 5 on the field and consistency right now. They feel like if they put Collins at RT that takes steele off the field. Even though Collins can have more dominating performances the increase in play will go up slightly, however, replacing Connor would be a huge jump and Steele at LG would get pushed back even more than Connor. Good problem to have if anyone ever goes down.

J-man

Reaction score
This is interesting, but I really don't read to much into it. I think it's very likely they just want to see how he is moving/strength/etc in practice this week, while letting Steele continue to prep for the starting job; just in case.

Or, it could mean they realize Steele is above ave and capable at RT and Collins would be a huge upgrade over CWill at LG, thus giving them the best 5 moving forward. Not sure how well La'el would take that "demotion" but it could be great for the team if it worked out. He and Martin along each side would help Biadasz tremendously. Inside pass protect and inside run game would be that much better.
As long as Steele can hold his own at Rt, and Collins doesn't freak out, this could be a very good move.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
This is interesting, but I really don't read to much into it. I think it's very likely they just want to see how he is moving/strength/etc in practice this week, while letting Steele continue to prep for the starting job; just in case.

Or, it could mean they realize Steele is above ave and capable at RT and Collins would be a huge upgrade over CWill at LG, thus giving them the best 5 moving forward. Not sure how well La'el would take that "demotion" but it could be great for the team if it worked out. He and Martin along each side would help Biadasz tremendously. Inside pass protect and inside run game would be that much better.
As long as Steele can hold his own at Rt, and Collins doesn't freak out, this could be a very good move.
His pay will remain the same so dont think he will mind the "demotion" but thats just me who knows.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nobody saw it coming

Nobody saw it coming because none of us aren’t at practice and have the expertise to evaluate their practices. We aren’t in the meeting rooms to see how he responds to the scheme sessions and so on. None of us has the information or expertise to make a better educated opinion. Are they always right, absolutely not, but their opinions and decisions are supported with tons of information that none of us have. I work in the analytical field so I am very biased to evaluating as much data as possible to formulate the best decisions for our clients.

We have a saying in our office and it’s called the “Fry Guy Scenario”. What’s that?, it’s when the fry guy at McD’s who has never taken an economics course and never has worked in the financial sector tells you that your financial manager is wrong with the moves he is making with your portfolio. He then goes on and wholeheartedly gives his opinions and advice as being more correct.

As far as being correct without all the info or expertise, well it’s a reason that the phrases “Throw enough **** on the wall until something sticks” or the other one “even a broken clock is correct twice a day” came about. Say enough and something is bound to be right.

Posters swearing that they know more then the professionals is just bazaar to me. But that’s just my opinion and that’s fact based. Just spend time on this forum and you will have all the data needed to support my opinion of that…LMAO!

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I wonder if this is a permanent switch or punishing him for his off the field issues. Should of only been a 2 game suspension and let's not forget about last yr showing up out of shape that lead to him missing the entire season. It is quite possible he is in MM's dog house.

I wonder even they are considering moving Collins back to Guard, he isn't great on the move like Connor, but he is far better in the power department, Same goes for McGovern over Biaz.

Best guess, don't think mass changes are coming, rather Collins being displined for his actions

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Nobody saw it coming because none of us aren’t at practice and have the expertise to evaluate their practices. We aren’t in the meeting rooms to see how he responds to the scheme sessions and so on. None of us has the information or expertise to make a better educated opinion. Are they always right, absolutely not, but their opinions and decisions are supported with tons of information that none of us have. I work in the analytical field so I am very biased to evaluating as much data as possible to formulate the best decisions for our clients.

We have a saying in our office and it’s called the “Fry Guy Scenario”. What’s that?, it’s when the fry guy at McD’s who has never taken an economics course and never has worked in the financial sector tells you that your financial manager is wrong with the moves he is making with your portfolio. He then goes on and wholeheartedly gives his opinions and advice as being more correct.

As far as being correct without all the info or expertise, well it’s a reason that the phrases “Throw enough **** on the wall until something sticks” or the other one “even a broken clock is correct twice a day” came about. Say enough and something is bound to be right.

Posters swearing that they know more then the professionals is just bazaar to me. But that’s just my opinion and that’s fact based. Just spend time on this forum.
Perfectly said. I agree 100%.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good decision. If we can upgrade at guard, too, it would be fantastic.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys envisioned Lael Collins as an OG rather than OT, supposedly because he did not have prototype idea arm length wingspan.

- But because Doug Free suddenly retired and supposedly caught Cowboys by surprise, plus Chaz Green previously thought as heir apparent to Free, was still
quite constant an injury riddled, inexperienced mess.

- Also the reserve guy that successfully subbed for Free in 2014, when Doug was out with the broken fibula, went on to get a big FA contract, Jeremy Parnell.
That open the door to 2015 third round pick draftee Chaz Green, who was seen as a great athlete, never gave up a sack his final year at Florida, and he had
experience playing several positions across the line. But of course Green's misadventures are well documented and remembered.

- So the Cowboys felt they had no choice but move Lael from OG to RT, and he's been there since, even re-signing a long term contract when many thought
the drafting of McGovern meant he would be plugged in at LG, with Williams would be moving out to RT,
and many assuming Cowboys were making a move to move on without Collins.

- A lot of moving parts since Doug Free's departure.