Rule on arm moving forward

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I actually think they missed an important part of the play. I think the ball went backwards anyway, which would have been a live ball regardless. They were so focused on the arm moving forward or not, that was missed.

wecasa

Reaction score
I get the rule. Looked like they called it correctly. But wasn't the trajectory of the ball he threw backwards? Seemed to me like it was a backwards pass and should have been recoverable.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im going with arm moving forward...... incomplete pass.

If there some rule about "behind head"....it either means the arm isn't really coming forward...or it's such a micro detail the refs should ignore it anyway.

Simply...arm coming forward. Correct call.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I actually think they missed an important part of the play. I think the ball went backwards anyway, which would have been a live ball regardless. They were so focused on the arm moving forward or not, that was missed.

I think they just treat that under the rule similar to if it was blocked and goes backwards.

Sydla

Reaction score

It went backwards because Lawrence's action re-directed the pass backwards. That would be like saying if the QB threw it off the head of his OL and it went "backwards" that too should be a live ball. It's only a live ball when the physical pass itself goes backwards, not a pass that is re-directed backwards.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just on common sense, it was clear that that ball was in his hand firmly and was knocked out before he released it as part of a throw. The arm was well behind the head.

I don't get that rule at all. Does someone want to explain why that SHOULD be a forward pass?
Serious question: How in hades did you not see his arm w/ the ball in it going forward? Very simple rule, easily called on this one.

As soon as they showed the replay, it was obviously going to be an incomplete pass.

How how how did you not see his arm going forward?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Stop paying so much attention to the rule. And philosophize as to whether the rule was correct in this case.
The rule is the rule. It's the reality that can not be ignored which is the mistake you are making. Yes, the rule was absolutely correct in this case.

Redline360

Reaction score
Called correctly as an incomplete pass. I mean with the 20 different camera angles and slow motion replays some of you need your heads checked and eyes examined

Was his hand moving forward even for a second? Yes
Was the ball knocked out prior to forward motion? No
Did he try to bring his arm back to his body after the first initial movement forward? No
Did he lose said ball trying to re-cock his arm? No
Hey look a fumble

This isn't a case of it being a gray area like "was that an nfl catch". This was pretty straight forward

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Best look here for folks that don't believe that the arm was going forward.

Hill-Arm2-R.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not if you understand the rules and aren't just looking to be a victim of something.
i said gray area..super slowmo could have gone either way how about the facemask face slap on dak no call, called all year for less..i mean keep,it even..:) do i need to go back to the raiders calls?no calls..very uneven they owe us few..:))