Rule on arm moving forward

silvernblu

Reaction score
Just on common sense, it was clear that that ball was in his hand firmly and was knocked out before he released it as part of a throw. The arm was well behind the head.

I don't get that rule at all. Does someone want to explain why that SHOULD be a forward pass?

Creeper

Reaction score
Here is the rule. It was a forward pass as soon as his hand started moving forward.

Item 1. Forward Movement of Hand

When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.

If, after intentional forward movement of his hand, contact by an opponent materially affects the passer, causing the ball to go backward, it is a forward pass, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else.
If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, it is a fumble.
If the passer loses possession of the ball while attempting to re-cock his arm, it is a fumble.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Just on common sense, it was clear that that ball was in his hand firmly and was knocked out before he released it as part of a throw. The arm was well behind the head.

I don't get that rule at all. Does someone want to explain why that SHOULD be a forward pass?
Agreed. Good pickup.

That ball should have been a fumble since the ball was behind his head, thus nullifying the forward motion analysis.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

because his arm was going forward in a passing motion, he was in the act of passing

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

It was created to reinforce the tuck rule in the snowy game between the Patriots and Raiders the season before where Tom Brady clearly fumbled the ball and would not have gone on to won the first of his many Super Bowls.

My opinion, that game and the Seattle Super Bowl were gifted to him and not something he did to win it. But then I am NOT a Brady fan, nor someone whop appreciates him.

silvernblu

Reaction score
because his arm was going forward in a passing motion, he was in the act of passing

Do some of you people even read posts first?

I know what the rule says. I guess I'm asking to defend the rule. In that case there is no way that was a pass.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Stop paying so much attention to the arm and focus on the motion of the ball. It was moving forward a split second before it was knocked loose. That's just enough to make it a forward pass and an incompletion.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Stop paying so much about the arm and focus on the motion of the ball. It was moving forward a split second before it was knocked loose. That's just enough to make it a forward pass and an incompletion.

Stop paying so much attention to the rule. And philosophize as to whether the rule was correct in this case.

blueblood70

Reaction score

another gray area call going against us..