Rule on arm moving forward

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed. Good pickup.

That ball should have been a fumble since the ball was behind his head, thus nullifying the forward motion analysis.
How does the position in relation to the QB's head change the fact that the ball was moving forward? Does that mean if he releases it before it gets past his head it's not a pass?

Gaede

Reaction score
Yes, it does make sense.

If you say so.

The ball is in his hand. He's trying to throw, sure, but he hasn't.

How can there be an incomplete pass when the ball hasnt been passed yet? It was only about to be passed

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not even a little bit. Arm going forward. Ball lost. Incomplete pass. Clear as day, easy call.
no its not look at it again down this thread its not really ever moving forward until the ball is already touched and loose along with his wrist stopped dead against the defenders arm..very close could go wither way

ill stand by my eyes..looks to be fumble to me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Best look here for folks that don't believe that the arm was going forward.

Hill-Arm2-R.gif
nope balls out first anyway no reason to look at arm its fumble before his arm ever came forward..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Called correctly as an incomplete pass. I mean with the 20 different camera angles and slow motion replays some of you need your heads checked and eyes examined

Was his hand moving forward even for a second? Yes
Was the ball knocked out prior to forward motion? No
Did he try to bring his arm back to his body after the first initial movement forward? No
Did he lose said ball trying to re-cock his arm? No
Hey look a fumble

This isn't a case of it being a gray area like "was that an nfl catch". This was pretty straight forward
I say it is the ball was out before any forward arm movement because his wrist stopped dead for split second then slid under the defenders arm, sorry ball loose FIRST, thats a fumble..

doesnt matter we won but i say it would be subjective to what one considers movign.ball contacted first was out then arm came forward under the defenders arm, sorry to me its the ball out comes before arm moves..

Adiba1977

Reaction score
Best look here for folks that don't believe that the arm was going forward.

Hill-Arm2-R.gif
Ball is out. No control. That should be a fumble 100% of the time I don’t care about what a dumb rule says. Just like dez catch

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A running back or receiver should not have fumbles. Once the ball is out, play is stopped and called dead. The offense resumes possession and keep it moving. Whether the arm is going forward or not, the ball is still in the QB'S control.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How does the position in relation to the QB's head change the fact that the ball was moving forward? Does that mean if he releases it before it gets past his head it's not a pass?
Because the ball could come out on its own before it reaches or passes a QB's head, thus causing the ball to be a lateral throw or less, thus making it a live loose ball.

Once the ball in the throwing motion is past the QB's head, it legally is considered a forward pass at that point.

The officials got it wrong.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i said gray area..super slowmo could have gone either way how about the facemask face slap on dak no call, called all year for less..i mean keep,it even..:) do i need to go back to the raiders calls?no calls..very uneven they owe us few..:))

There is no gray area. If his arm is moving forward it's not a fumble. His arm was moving forward. A clear call.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Understand why some have a problem with this play. The QB is a ball carrier. When a ball is knocked loose from a ball carrier it's a fumble. The ball is still in the ball carriers hand (the QB) when it's knocked loose. And that's why some will always think of these plays as a fumble.

We've all seen QB's go through a throwing motion, with their arm moving forward, then decide to tuck and run. So what if he was about to tuck the ball and run? Fumble.

And that's why I don't like the arm moving forward crap. Because you never really know if he was about to throw the ball. The QB is a ball carrier, he should be treated like one.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is no gray area. If his arm is moving forward it's not a fumble. His arm was moving forward. A clear call.
IMO it is not until the ball was gone and his momentum it slid under the arm, stopped forst! ball out then forward , the wrist bent back then went under..that not forward ball was gone long gone before the arm made move forward, that's the issue. Just because you can play act a follow through once fumbled doesn't make it forward, need to be forward WITH BALL..was not.sorry i disagree..

bad rule or bad interpretation but watching, football, its a clear fumble..