Rumor: Cowboys high on Gordon

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The Cowboys are NOT trading up for a running back...bunch of draft nonsense.....I highly doubt Dallas is taking a running back in the first round.....another reason why I want the NFL draft moved up on the calender..

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Looks like Gordon is this year's Manziel with these trade up rumors starting up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Somehow Pauline got that just because it was somehow (on purpose?) leaked that the Cowboys like Gordon in the 1st, that they would also trade up for him. Huge difference.
That would be pure speculation on Pauline's part.

Btw, I recall multiple sources saying Dallas could maybe trade up for Manziel last year.
Stuff like "if he somehow falls out of the top 10, Dallas will jump up and get him"

DFWJC

Reaction score
Looks like Gordon is this year's Manziel with these trade up rumors starting up.

Beat me to it!

I will say this; barring a trade up, I would be much happier with getting Gordon this year than Manziel last year. I'm torn on Gordon to some degree but would trust our scouts. Manziel last year on the other had....nightmare city.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think he falls just under Gurley so I am NOT one that is so down on him like others.

I think however the pass blocking worries some and I think that some see him as being a product of Wisconsin system where they do great at Wisconsin but have less than stellar careers in the NFL. I think some also think that they play them so much at Wisconsin that they tend to have more mileage on them compared to other backs coming out in the draft.

Again...just what I have heard from various posters.
Seems like many times in college a guy has a stellar year, then drops off his last year in college and never really lives up to the prior hype. Gurley looked fine when he played in 2014, but it wasn't as good as Gordon's 2014 by any stretch, and it simply adds a question mark next to Gurley's name. I'm sort of a "show me" guy that doesn't really get caught up in potential to some extent. If I can see them do in college exactly what they'd do in the NFL, that goes a long way. In that same sense, I have a hard time evaluating backs that have terrible O-lines, and for some of these second tier backs with offensive lines where they don't even have a hole to skinny through, it's hard to evaluate. While Gordon may have had a really good line to run behind, at least he's showed me that he can do exactly what he'd be doing behind our line -- which is simply diagnosing where the hole is developing and getting through it. And he can do it at an elite level.

I understand pass protection is an important skill that a running back needs to have, but it's just something that can be easily taught so I don't pay much attention to it in college backs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Beat me to it!

I will say this; barring a trade up, I would be much happier with getting Gordon this year than Manziel last year. I'm torn on Gordon to some degree but would trust our scouts. Manziel last year on the other had....nightmare city.

He could turn out to be a poor man's Jamaal Charles. But I'm not sold on him. However, as you said, if the scouts like him, they know more than I do. I just prefer the bruising power and speed of Gurley and Coleman. But one of the two should be there when the Cowboys pick at #27.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You guys are letting me down. I clicked on this thread completely certain it was a marijuana joke about Josh Gordon.

JBS

Reaction score
Sums it up well for me.

As well as seeing the myth of 'breakaway speed' debunked by his actual workouts.

Top end speed for Gordon isn't the greatest....I've seen him get caught from behind on tape a few times

The dude jump cuts like shady McCoy...by far the quickest feet in the draft...that's why he's special

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
According to who. CBS or the Dallas Cowboys. Because we dont know who Dallas has given a first round grade too

Every ranking site you choose to visit. Unless you have first hand knowledge as to Dallas's board that is all we can go on.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Every ranking site you choose to visit. Unless you have first hand knowledge as to Dallas's board that is all we can go on.

Every website has him somewhere in the top 30 players... maybe not a first round grade, but then again if you consider that only the top 16 or so get first round grades, then the chance of any of them being available at 27 is slim to none.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yes
If the highest rated player is a RB, then to me, of course you take a player that is BPA and in a position of need.

I was using the possibility that there is only one RB worthy of a 1st round pick, and not 2 or 3. My point was that just because some have Gordon as the 2nd best RB does not mean he deserves a 1st round grade. Maybe he does.
It'd come down to how the Cowboys stack them up.
BTW, I think several teams are in the market enough to take one if that player is BPA. A bunch that pick before Dallas.

I don't disagree with you. Gordon could be further down on Dallas' board. I'm just saying it's more likely that a higher-rated running back will fall to Dallas than it is that a higher-rated player at a position like cornerback, defensive end, defensive tackles, etc., because those positions are usually in higher demand. Fewer teams have need of a bell-cow running back.

reddyuta

Reaction score
for the record i have always liked Gordon but the thought of spending a first RD pick on a RB just doesnt sit right with me.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Neither of them (Gordon or Gurley) will be there when we pick in the 1st. If it is a smokescreen, it could be to get someone ahead of us to take him thinking we want him at our pick... because we want someone else to fall, and/or have our sights set elsewhere in the draft for addressing RB.

How do we know they are going to be gone? Every year there are RB needy teams that don't take them in the 1st.. Pittsburgh with Bell and Dallas with Murray to name a few... Gurley might not be available in the beginning of the year ... And Gordon takes the most likely to be a bust award... Wisconsin is famous for pumping out average RB's...ask Ball in Denver...

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Every website has him somewhere in the top 30 players... maybe not a first round grade, but then again if you consider that only the top 16 or so get first round grades, then the chance of any of them being available at 27 is slim to none.

Sorry not seeing that on any website; quickly just went to draft countdown and he is number 5 on the rb rankings.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every where I go has him no better than the 4th best rb but yeah going anywhere from 2-4 not in the first. I don't want the cowboys reaching for him there.

Most of the reputable places I have seen has him ranked as an early 2nd, making him a potential late first as picks 25 through 40 are very fluid and varies greatly by individual team boards. I have seen any reputable place that has Ajayi listed as a 3rd or 4th round pick

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Yeah
Most of the reputable places I have seen has him ranked as an early 2nd, making him a potential late first as picks 25 through 40 are very fluid and varies greatly by individual team boards. I have seen any reputable place that has Ajayi listed as a 3rd or 4th round pick
you can see I just posted above and he is ranked 5th. I'm just not high on him with what I have read. After doing more research the past couple of weeks I really like Coleman and what he brings to the table.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Sorry not seeing that on any website; quickly just went to draft countdown and he is number 5 on the rb rankings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/RB -17th overall
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/track...ar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade 2nd best running back, top 30 grade (too lazy to count right now)
http://draftbreakdown.com/joe-marinos-running-back-rankings-for-the-2015-nfl-draft/2/ 2nd best running back, 2nd round grade but they admit he is likely to go in the first
http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2015.asp 18th best player, best running back
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2015RB.php 2nd best running back, 1st round grade

I could go on and on here, so I have no clue where you are looking, but every place I know of has his as the 2nd best running back with a top 30 grade... many far higher than that.