Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

Swanny

Reaction score
You tag him and he will holdout. You also send a message to the team that you don’t repay production with longterm security— which is a huge issue to players who are risking their longterm health every time the ball is snapped.

If you don’t want to sign him because of his iniury history— fine. But at least respect him enough to let him find his longterm security from another team.

Playing hardball with D Law is a bad look for the FO any way you cut it.
Jerry has the reputation for overpaying his own guys. Tagging DLaw a 2nd time in a row won't hurt. I would suspect DLaw to hold out. Which does nobody any good.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Can you give me some contract figures what the 10th ranked 4-3 RDE would earn ?!

First off, he's not 10th, he's 9th. Secondly, he wasn't just "top 10" - he also had a top 3 season last year.

Chandler Jones was ranked #30 this year, here is his contract

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/chandler-jones-9831/

Melvin Ingram is ranked #27, here is his contract

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/melvin-ingram-9828/

Jason Pierre Paul is ranked #81, here is his contract

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/jason-pierre-paul-6524/

Compare him to 4-3 defensive ends.

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

He's going to get paid good money because great DE pass rushers aren't easy to find - nobody likes his injury history, and he won't be getting the contract this baseless rumor is suggesting, but he'll still get a contract you are crying about.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
D-Law wasn't the problem against the Rams. Can you folks stop pretending a single D-Lineman would have prevented 200 yards rushing?

I am not pretensing anything. The DL as a whole was the problem. And DLaw is a part of it. He also mad no difference in that game. But he wants to be paid like a difference maker.

Someone here in this thread posted some good facts about his dropoff in play from september to december. This guy starts the season great but dropps off after that.

Dont pay a guy just because you wish for him to be the guy. Pay him because he IS the guy. And right now i am not convinced. Together with his injury issues he is a no go right now for me.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Who do you replace him with? A rookie at #58 is not going to put up his numbers— regardless of what time of year the sacks come in.

Go sign a FA? Who and for how much? You could go cheaper— but you overpay for what you get in FA. D Law is rated as the #1 DE in FA— so if you let him walk, tell me your plan to replace him.

IMO— the guy is a beast on the DL. He played through constant double teams and chips and was the focus of the OL protection game in and game out because teams knew he could wreck a game.

Use his drop off in play to negotiate his contract down... but don’t let him simply walk without a plan to replace his production.
Never said let him walk for nothing. Never said dont pay him. All my comments are based on the OP and what he's rumored to asking for. I wouldn't pay him that.

I would hope he would come off that quite a bit. If not, id tag him another year or use the non exclusive and let other teams bid on him and if they sign him to a contract he wants, take the 2 1sts and move on. It would be hard to find someone to replace his production but with that amount of money you could sign 2 players. I rather be in that predicament than salary cap predicament 3 years down the road. I don't believe in the myth "salary cap hell" but I do believe in salary cap predicaments that are avoidable

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I am not pretensing anything. The DL as a whole was the problem. And DLaw is a part of it. He also mad no difference in that game. But he wants to be paid like a difference maker.

Someone here in this thread posted some good facts about his dropoff in play from september to december. This guy starts the season great but dropps off after that.

Dont pay a guy just because you wish for him to be the guy. Pay him because he IS the guy. And right now i am not convinced. Together with his injury issues he is a no go right now for me.

D-Line as a whole? Again, watch the film. The runs were not going to his side - how about you start looking to why Goff was able to get the ball out of his hand so quickly?

The "facts" here have been all over the place - nobody here, not a single person I have read, have posted any in-depth statistics. It's all NFL.com stats that have little to no context.

You don't rank out as a #9 DE for the ENTIRE YEAR without consistent and quality play. As of RIGHT NOW, the players getting the most money at 4-3 DE, Lawrence is playing far better than. The only 4-3 DE I'm seeing that has played better than D-Law the past 2 seasons is Cam Jordan (Edit: Also Calais Campbell) who got his contract extension in 2015.

Rayman70

Reaction score
D-Law wasn't the problem against the Rams. Can you folks stop pretending a single D-Lineman would have prevented 200 yards rushing?

It's hilarious to me this place is okay with paying freakin' WRs and RBs but pee their pants at the thought of paying pass rushing d-lineman and then have the nerve to criticize Jerry. You're all little Jerry Jr.

And by the way, he isn't getting this type of contract - not even the market is showing he will. The person who started this thread has confirmation bias and throws out bogus stats - it's a "rumor" that is baseless.
slow your roll dude. us folks on here realize and been saying for days that the defensive front was hot garbage against the Rams. You good now? Ok...that said, DLaw wants to be paid like an all world player at his position. HE DIDNT PLAY THAT WAY THE LAST 4 WEEKS. Coupled with the fact we have huge contracts that need done on other key players and a salary cap. Just saying...lets get real here and realize what has to happen is both parties need to come to the table with common sense. NOT PIE IN THE SKY NONSENSE. If he wont budge, he will be tagged and maybe even dealt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Never said let him walk for nothing. Never said dont pay him. All my comments are based on the OP and what he's rumored to asking for. I wouldn't pay him that.

I would hope he would come off that quite a bit. If not, id tag him another year or use the non exclusive and let other teams bid on him and if they sign him to a contract he wants, take the 2 1sts and move on. It would be hard to find someone to replace his production but with that amount of money you could sign 2 players. I rather be in that predicament than salary cap predicament 3 years down the road. I don't believe in the myth "salary cap hell" but I do believe in salary cap predicaments that are avoidable
^^^^THAT^^^^….shame on us little for being rational. lol

mattjames2010

Reaction score
slow your roll dude. us folks on here realize and been saying for days that the defensive front was hot garbage against the Rams. You good now? Ok...that said, DLaw wants to be paid like an all world player at his position. HE DIDNT PLAY THAT WAY THE LAST 4 WEEKS. Coupled with the fact we have huge contracts that need done on other key players and a salary cap. Just saying...lets get real here and realize what has to happen is both parties need to come to the table with common sense. NOT PIE IN THE SKY NONSENSE. If he wont budge, he will be tagged and maybe even dealt.

> he didn't play that way the last 4 weeks

Provide in-depth statistics of this and not base line raw data.

And again, show me, outside of rumors, that D-Law wants to be paid like an "all-world" player and not what the market is dictating?

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

This is what 4-3 DEs are making. Are you telling me he's not playing better than Ingram, JPP, Quinn, and Jones?

Rayman70

Reaction score

It's hilarious to me this place is okay with paying freakin' WRs and RBs but pee their pants at the thought of paying pass rushing d-lineman and then have the nerve to criticize Jerry. You're all little Jerry Jr.

And by the way, he isn't getting this type of contract - not even the market is showing he will. The person who started this thread has confirmation bias and throws out bogus stats - it's a "rumor" that is baseless.
yes HE WAS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS. Take off your blinders please. He and the other dlineman had a bad outing to say the least. HE IS THE ONE that wants huge money...so that's why he is garnering all the attention right now here on this board...he is in the limelight, good and bad.

Rayman70

Reaction score
> he didn't play that way the last 4 weeks

Provide in-depth statistics of this and not base line raw data.
be my guest. Do your stats look at situational moments? Dlaw failed the eyeball test the last few weeks for a guy that is making the sort of contractual demands he is reportedly making. Sorry, that dog wont hunt.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Why do people act like we shouldn't pay Lawrence? If anyone's getting double teamed on the Dline and possibly tripled with a chip block it's Lawrence. He's very very good in run support and has a high motor. Hopefully we can find some interior help to allow Lawrence to shine.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
be my guest. Do your stats look at situational moments? Dlaw failed the eyeball test the last few weeks for a guy that is making the sort of contractual demands he is reportedly making. Sorry, that dog wont hunt.

PFF, again while not flawless, looks at every situation....

But again, you don't even need PFF for this. Yes or no, has Lawrence played better the past two years than Ingram, Quinn, JPP, and Jones? Each and every one of those players had a FAR BIGGER drop off from 2017 to 2018. Yet, Lawrence going from #3 to #9 is a worse drop off from top 10 to top 15 players falling out of the top 20?

And not one of these 4-3 DEs are making much more than 30 million a year guaranteed let alone 70. Lawrence isn't getting that money and he won't even get it on the open market. He'll get his 30 million because he has a good argument for it, if that's a problem for us, we can tag or allow him to sign with the Jets.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
yes HE WAS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS. Take off your blinders please. He and the other dlineman had a bad outing to say the least. HE IS THE ONE that wants huge money...so that's why he is garnering all the attention right now here on this board...he is in the limelight, good and bad.

Provide me the plays in the Rams games, especially against the run, where he was the problem. I'll wait.

Rayman70

Reaction score
PFF, again while not flawless, looks at every situation....

But again, you don't even need PFF for this. Yes or no, has Lawrence played better the past two years than Ingram, Quinn, JPP, and Jones? Each and every one of those players had a FAR BIGGER drop off from 2017 to 2018. Yet, Lawrence going from #3 to #9 is a worse drop off from top 10 to top 15 players falling out of the top 20?

And not one of these 4-3 DEs are making much more than 30 million a year guaranteed let alone 70. Lawrence isn't getting that money and he won't even get it on the open market. He'll get his 30 million because he has a good argument for it, if that's a problem for us, we can tag or allow him to sign with the Jets.
better..YES...I AGREE. Is he 70 mil guaranteed better? lmao....COME NOW

mattjames2010

Reaction score
better..YES...I AGREE. Is he 70 mil guaranteed better? lmao....COME NOW

....he isn't getting 70 mil. Do you see "rumor" in the title, big guy? YOU continue to state he is demanding this, it's a baseless rumor.

What makes you think, from what I showed you, that $70 million is an accurate number he is wanting?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Provide me the plays in the Rams games, especially against the run, where he was the problem. I'll wait.
HE WAS PART OF THE PROBLEM...and in all..the entire dline was terrible. HE IS THE ONE UP FOR THE MEGA CONTRACT...not the others. So the spotlight is shining on him. The scrutiny is on him because he wants to be paid like Aaron Donald. Sorry...Im not killing my cap and my team for 1 player that isn't a QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
You have to bring him back unless you have another plan in mind.

I've said I'd have no issues if instead of spending oodles on Lawrence they were able to spread it around on say Frank Clark and then Sheldon Richardson. But that doesn't seem likely, especially with this FO. If they let Lawrence walk, they'd likely nickel and dime DEs in free agency.

Rayman70

Reaction score
....he isn't getting 70 mil. Do you see "rumor" in the title, big guy? YOU continue to state he is demanding this, it's a baseless rumor.

What makes you think, from what I showed you, that $70 million is an accurate number he is wanting?
IF HIS REPORTED DEMANDS ARE TRUE is what I said. I am hoping its just a rumor..a big rumor. I would sign him as my top priority, just not at the rumored number.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
HE WAS PART OF THE PROBLEM...and in all..the entire dline was terrible. HE IS THE ONE UP FOR THE MEGA CONTRACT...not the others. So the spotlight is shining on him. The scrutiny is on him because he wants to be paid like Aaron Donald. Sorry...Im not killing my cap and my team for 1 player that isn't a QB.

This isn't an argument - you don't have evidence he was a problem in the games you mentioned. Again, either way, from what we see in the market - he's very much worth the ACCURATE guaranteed money he will most likely get - it will be $30 million.

Sydla

Reaction score

You won't kill your cap signing Lawrence.

All you people saying you can't bring him back.

What's your alternative. What's a sound plan here? Who is playing DE next year?