Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

Rayman70

Reaction score
You have to bring him back unless you have another plan in mind.

I've said I'd have no issues if instead of spending oodles on Lawrence they were able to spread it around on say Frank Clark and then Sheldon Richardson. But that doesn't seem likely, especially with this FO. If they let Lawrence walk, they'd likely nickel and dime DEs in free agency.
agree.Tag him if you cant hash it out...THEN if no deal can be had..we have 2 options...let him eat up 21 mil in our cap on a 1 year deal or trade him.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can see it now............... get rid of Lawrence and they bring in Dante Fowler and sell us on "DE by committee" like they tried with WR.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This isn't an argument - you don't have evidence he was a problem in the games you mentioned. Again, either way, from what we see in the market - he's very much worth the ACCURATE guaranteed money he will most likely get - it will be $30 million.
Evidence? Watch the game? He couldn't shed blocks very often...then again, neither could anyone else. Go back and watch the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I can see it now............... get rid of Lawrence and they bring in Dante Fowler and sell us on "DE by committee" like they tried with WR.
no...I LOVE DLAW...I would hate that..but at the same time...I wanna get everyone signed too.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
IF HIS REPORTED DEMANDS ARE TRUE is what I said. I am hoping its just a rumor..a big rumor. I would sign him as my top priority, just not at the rumored number.

That's not what you said, you said specifically - "He is the one wanting big money" - so now, you have to be clear on what is "big money" here. Because, again, from what I showed you, what he is most likely to get is market value for a guy playing top 10 at his position.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The guaranteed money is where i have the biggest problem. This guy has serious injury questions: he has chronic back issues which is a red sign for every 4-3 DE. And comes of major shoulder surgery. A torn labrum is nothing to joke about. This is a career threatening injury.

Btw i still dont believe he really had one. If he had a torn labrum he wouldnt had been able to use his arm at all. He may have had a SLAP-1 or something compareable. But he had to find something to explain his medicore play in the later part of each of the last seasons. Remember: contract year. But that is just my opinion.

Thats the problem right there. Your opinion is one sided. You for whatever reason think he had a mediocre season. and Im guessing because his sack numbers were down. Lawrence was near the top in qb hurries qb hits and TFL. another factor is that the defense got off the field earlier then recent yrs. Then there was the emergence of Gregory, and the team utilizing more blitzes.

Lawrence had a great yr and proved his worth. Some of you just want to act like youre entitled to Jerrys money somehow. Id like to see a deal structured where they can get out before his decline. say 4 yrs and if he's still producing restructure into a team friendly last contract for him. Or just walk away.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You won't kill your cap signing Lawrence.

All you people saying you can't bring him back.

What's your alternative. What's a sound plan here? Who is playing DE next year?
we agree...a deal MUST BE HASHED OUT. Gregory cant start..he's too light.Taco is way unproven..Armstrong is unknown...so YES...we need to find a logical way to keep him. Im not in the camp that wants him gone.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Evidence? Watch the game? He couldn't shed blocks very often...then again, neither could anyone else. Go back and watch the game.

I did, I'm also watching the Rams game which continues to be cited as the game he "disappeared in" - I'm awaiting for Anderson or Gurley to take the edge. We are getting gashed through the middle.

The biggest need right now is DT when it comes to D-line.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, even if Lawrence has set his demands at $70MM guaranteed, he likely would only approach that number as a rolling guarantee.

Meaning, when he signs the contract, he's not immediately guaranteed $70MM. He might get $45-50MM guaranteed at signing and then after a couple of years, he gets his 3rd year base guaranteed if on the roster, etc.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I did, I'm also watching the Rams game which continues to be cited as the game he "disappeared in" - I'm awaiting for Anderson or Gurley to take the edge. We are getting gashed through the middle.

no doubt the middle was a HUGE HUGE ISSUE... It was terrible. I was one of the first ones to point that out here. But again..DLAW is the one we are talking about being worthy of a monster deal.His contract is up. So is he worth backing up the brinks wagon? Keep in mind we have several big name players that need signed...think about it.

Little Jr

Reaction score
> he didn't play that way the last 4 weeks

Provide in-depth statistics of this and not base line raw data.

And again, show me, outside of rumors, that D-Law wants to be paid like an "all-world" player and not what the market is dictating?

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

This is what 4-3 DEs are making. Are you telling me he's not playing better than Ingram, JPP, Quinn, and Jones?
I actually think he's right on par with Jones and he's the highest paid de. His contract his a great starting point for the cowboys

Sydla

Reaction score

Yeah I am not sure I am totally on board with putting a ton of blame on Lawrence for that Rams game. I think the bigger problems were the Rams being able to exploit our tendencies as well as their offensive staff being able to do things pre-snap that had LVE and Smith often out of position. That's not to say Lawrence was dominant, he was not. But he was far from the big reason we got run over. No DE would have fixed what we saw that Saturday night.

I also agree with DT being a huge need. I'd also bring in another DE because I am maniacal about having a deep and strong DL to win in this league.

Irving really screws this entire thing up. He could have been a dominant 3T paired with Collins and then you could focus on the 1T.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the line Im drawing in the sand if Im the Front office, nothing over 45-50 mil guaranteed...NADA. Cannot afford to do that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to bring him back unless you have another plan in mind.

I've said I'd have no issues if instead of spending oodles on Lawrence they were able to spread it around on say Frank Clark and then Sheldon Richardson. But that doesn't seem likely, especially with this FO. If they let Lawrence walk, they'd likely nickel and dime DEs in free agency.

And Frank Clark isn't getting out of Seattle anyway.

Rayman70

Reaction score
A reasonable player-team friendly deal would be in the 65-70 mil range spread out over 4-5 years, with 45 mil guaranteed.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I think they are dumb when there is no context to which you post - at the very least, what I am showing you, people actually go in, watch the game film, and grade.

Even watching the Rams game, which you folks keep bringing up, you would know he wasn't the problem. Stop posting if you can't even watch games.
Yes, people. People see things different. Pff is good for some things but I'm not a fan of their grading players.

You folks? I never brought up the rams game. It has no bearing on my opinion for Dlaw. The whole defense sucked that game. He 1/11th of the problem that day.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Thats the problem right there. Your opinion is one sided. You for whatever reason think he had a mediocre season. and Im guessing because his sack numbers were down. Lawrence was near the top in qb hurries qb hits and TFL. another factor is that the defense got off the field earlier then recent yrs. Then there was the emergence of Gregory, and the team utilizing more blitzes.

Lawrence had a great yr and proved his worth. Some of you just want to act like youre entitled to Jerrys money somehow. Id like to see a deal structured where they can get out before his decline. say 4 yrs and if he's still producing restructure into a team friendly last contract for him. Or just walk away.

No its not only because of his sacks. Everything was down. His tackles, his sacks. Everything. He is great in september but medicore in nov. to dec.