Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

TwentyOne

Reaction score
D-Line as a whole? Again, watch the film. The runs were not going to his side - how about you start looking to why Goff was able to get the ball out of his hand so quickly?

The "facts" here have been all over the place - nobody here, not a single person I have read, have posted any in-depth statistics. It's all NFL.com stats that have little to no context.

You don't rank out as a #9 DE for the ENTIRE YEAR without consistent and quality play. As of RIGHT NOW, the players getting the most money at 4-3 DE, Lawrence is playing far better than. The only 4-3 DE I'm seeing that has played better than D-Law the past 2 seasons is Cam Jordan (Edit: Also Calais Campbell) who got his contract extension in 2015.

I watched the film. And its not only the run. It was his whole miserable play.

DLaw was blocked and double teamed by TEs, RBs and WRs. And he couldnt handle it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
You won't kill your cap signing Lawrence.

All you people saying you can't bring him back.

What's your alternative. What's a sound plan here? Who is playing DE next year?

Alternative is very easy.

FT him again. So you can give gregory and Tacco another year of developement.

Where is the need to give him a longterm contract ?

Proof

Reaction score
Dallas needs to pay the man his market value for three reasons:

1. D Law balled out while injured this year and was a good soldier while playing under the tag. He is a top 3 DE right now in the NFL— pay him what he deserves

2. The philosophy the FO has established and communicated is that they want to build through the draft, develop their players, and sign their guys longterm that produce. If they let D Law walk— they lose credibility with players and the result could easily be a loss of trust that the FO will give their productive core players long term security in a very violent sport.

3. They lose further credibility with the fan base. You can’t tell us you will stay out of FA bc you want the cap to sign your best players— and then you let a guy like D Law walk. Fans will question their commitment to winning (more than they already do) and moves like this cement the narrative that the Jones family are only in this for money.

Bottom line: sign D Law for what he is worth. Honor your players when they produce and they will run through a brick wall for you.

This is a good post, I just don’t particularly agree with it outside of your third point.

There’s not much soldiering required to get a fully guaranteed top of market year, especially when the reason for it was because you didn’t sign any of the offers presented. He was more than happy to sign that and play under it because it was essentially the best of both worlds.

Also I don’t think you lose credibility with the players either, because no one rise on the roster is going to come close to that type of salary. Dallas has shown they reward their homegrown talent, and obviously have earned good Will via Jaylon and Gregory. I highly doubt that showing reluctance to pay exorbitant sums will have a ripple effect.

The fans though can be justifiably upset. I don’t like paying contracts of that magnitude, but you’ve essentially forced your hand when you sit out FA to facilitate it. You’re basically saying “this is how we will build our team” and you can’t balk when the players are due since you’ve reserved money for just that circumstance.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DLaw is more like

CJones 5/82m
MIngram 4/64m
DHunter 5/72m
CCampbell 4/60m
OVernon 5/85m

than
Mack 6/142m
VMiller 6/114m
ADonald 6/135m

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Alternative is very easy.

FT him again. So you can give gregory and Tacco another year of developement.

Where is the need to give him a longterm contract ?

One is a pot head who is a puff away from being out of the league, the other has shown very little flash to rely on. LOL

Rayman70

Reaction score
You're not getting him for less than $20 million a year.
stash..if he uses that 20 mil per as a hard number, we likely won't be keeping him. He's going to get that,but maybe not from this team. You only pay a guy that if he is your QB OR is that 1 player that you believe is that final piece to the SB puzzle. I don't see it but of course, who am i.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stash..if he uses that 20 mil per as a hard number, we likely won't be keeping him. He's going to get that,but maybe not from this team. You only pay a guy that if he is your QB OR is that 1 player that you believe is that final piece to the SB puzzle. I don't see it but of course, who am i.

Look at the going rates.

Look at Mack's deal with the Bears.

That team gave up two 1st round picks for the privilege of then paying that guys $141 million over 6 years!

And they're being praised for it, and the Raiders lambasted for letting their two best players get away! That's simply the cost of doing business. When you find a top player, you pay him and you're thankful.

There is not a single player who has earned their big money extension from this team more than Demarcus Lawrence has. He's among the top at his position and if you want to keep him, you have to pay him. And if you don't, prepare to watch everything you've tried to build on your defense vanish.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Look at the going rates.

That team gave up two 1st round picks for the privilege of then paying that guys $141 million over 6 years!

And they're being praised for it, and the Raiders lambasted for letting their two best players get away! That's simply the cost of doing business. When you find a top player, you pay him and you're thankful.

There is not a single player who has earned their big money extension from this team more than Demarcus Lawrence has. He's among the top at his position and if you want to keep him, you have to pay him. And if you don't, prepare to watch everything you've tried to build on your defense vanish.
Do you think he's in that special tier of guys you mentioned? I don't. I feel you pay him, no question asked, if he's in that top 4 or 5 .

Rayman70

Reaction score
IMO, Mack, Donald,Watt are far and away better than Lawrence. THEY DESERVE all that money. DLAW is damn good in his own right,but he just isn't in that special tier of guys. New England has proven you don't need to break the bank for a guy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think he's in that special tier of guys you mentioned? I don't. I feel you pay him, no question asked, if he's in that top 4 or 5 .

Because they decide to wait, the cost of keeping him has increased substantially. That was their choice, and now they have to pay the price for that choice. In the time since they could have signed Lawrence, Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald set new benchmarks for defensive linemen. And if anyone wants to waste their time quibbling over defensive tackle and outside linebacker, have at it. I'm not wasting my time with it, and neither will Lawrence's agents. The Cowboys might try, but it's pointless. If they won't pay him, a cap rich team like the Colts will do it on Day One, happily.

Mack makes $23.5 million a year, and Donald $22 million a year.

People want to point to Chandler Jones, Vernon, or Watt's deals, but they're all three years old or older at this point. That's not the market any more. Heck, Watt's deal was signed in 2014!

If you want to keep your best defensive lineman? It's going to cost you $20 million a year. Either pay it, or blow up your defense and try to rely on Taco Charlton. Those are your two choices.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, Mack, Donald,Watt are far and away better than Lawrence. THEY DESERVE all that money. DLAW is damn good in his own right,but he just isn't in that special tier of guys. New England has proven you don't need to break the bank for a guy.

Get the greatest coach and quarterback of all time and then talk about what New England does.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Look at the going rates.

The going rate for DEs is not 20 mil a year Stash. You can't look at Mack and compare him to Lawrence. Lawrence is not Mack by any stretch IMO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The going rate for DEs is not 20 mil a year Stash. You can't look at Mack and compare him to Lawrence. Lawrence is not Mack by any stretch IMO.
that's right 100%. In no shape or manner is DLaw in the elite grouping. He's in that next tier down. As far as going rate, I know its not 20 mil per...so I GUESS it depends on how a team uses the player and how they view his value in said scheme. In our scheme, he's about a 10-12 mil per year guy if we are being honest. In reality, he's gonna get 15 mil per at worst.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why not?

The past two seasons, Lawrence has 25 sacks compared to 23 for Mack. Is that "comparable"?

kskboys

Reaction score
Players don't get that much guaranteed. Silly.

If DLaw wanted that much, he should've stayed away from drugs. He's one puff away from a year long suspension.