Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

Little Jr

Reaction score
LOL.

Not sure exactly what Jones contract was, but read it earlier in the thread and it seemed about double..

Seems a steep jump for 2 years of "inflation" - even with the upward trend of contracts.
I took the % of the cap at the time and the % of what the cap is going to be this year and that's where I got the over all number from. The 93-95m would be the same % as Jones got in 2017. The 58-60m would be the same guarantee % as Jones got on his contract. They could actually make the numbers look better for the agent and the player by bumping it up to 100m and that would be funny money at the end of the contract that wouldn't affect us when we cut him, eventually.

Little Jr

Reaction score
LOL.

Not sure exactly what Jones contract was, but read it earlier in the thread and it seemed about double..

Seems a steep jump for 2 years of "inflation" - even with the upward trend of contracts.
I never really pay attention to the overall number. The guarantee is what gets a team in trouble or can get them in trouble. The overall can be a lot of non guaranteed base salary that doesn't hurt us.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who cares? Remind me again, what does "All-Pro" win for a team?

As soon as you acquire the greatest coach and quarterback of all time? Then you can start modeling yourself after the Patriots.

First I hear that sacks don't matter. Now being named "All - Pro" doesn't matter. I guess all that really matter is a winning smile.

The way to model yourself after the greatest coach of all time is to make the same decisions he does.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, not at all. Would it still worry me with his injury history, sure. Id just like him to figure out a way of not playing like an all pro for 4 games and disappearing the next 12, especially Dec.

I understand. But check out the link I posted about his shoulder injury early in the Houston game. It directly coincides with his drop in production for 2018.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First I hear that sacks don't matter. Now being named "All - Pro" doesn't matter. I guess all that really matter is a winning smile.

The way to model yourself after the greatest coach of all time is to make the same decisions he does.

Who said sacks didn't matter? I've pointed out that Lawrence has more than Mack these past two years since his back issues were corrected. That matters a lot in my book.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cap room does what for us?....
Nothing.....

You cant not use Free Agency like we dont and than let your stars walk

We traded for Cooper. That was our building outside the draft. And we're going to pay him free agent money.

The cap means some of our stars are *already* going to be walking, even with no further buys in free agency. Some not so star players too. The only question is who. A guy with a bad back is a good candidate.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
It must make life if not easy then simple to think about the world in such sophomoric terms.

Congrats.
Yeah, so, I think his disappearance in the divisional still gives us some leverage to not pay him more than Mack, because hes not better than Mack.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
You people know nothing about the art of negotiations I see... You always start off high and meet in the middle, I expect this to get done fairly quickly honestly.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And every contract is two years old. At a minimum.

True, but what someone wants is at least somewhat predicated on what others get, you can't ask for more than others get if you don't know what they get. I was just pointing out what current contract guarantees are now, has nothing to do with what it may be coming up...

Rayman70

Reaction score
You got to pay the man....we need our defense because our offense is bad bad bad
yes and no. Yes we need to sign him, but the caveat is it has to be a good deal for each party. I'm not breaking apart my team and salary cap all for 1 guy,unless that guy is an elite QB that raises the level of the entire team...AKA..like Brady,Peyton Manning,Drew Brees.

Praxit

Reaction score
lol.... wait a minute. How can you ask for that type of money when you basically disappeared the last 5 games. Not a lasting impression, I'd say.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's the biggest of your "key players". And the one who has actually earned the money the most.

He's good. He's an important piece. But he's not played well at the end of the past couple of years and he tends to disappear in bigger games .

I want to see us keep him. But I would pay him somewhere at around #10DE money, not set the market with him.