Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

Verdict

Reaction score
keep 90, yes..within reason. That's the PATRIOTS WINNING MODEL. If we have learned anything,its thinking about whats best for the team,not just 1 player.

That's why Chandler Jones is no longer a Patriot. They are very similar players.

Verdict

Reaction score
You tag him and he will holdout. You also send a message to the team that you don’t repay production with longterm security— which is a huge issue to players who are risking their longterm health every time the ball is snapped.

If you don’t want to sign him because of his iniury history— fine. But at least respect him enough to let him find his longterm security from another team.

Playing hardball with D Law is a bad look for the FO any way you cut it.

I don't really care how it looks. You don't let a player hold you hostage.

Verdict

Reaction score
You won't kill your cap signing Lawrence.

All you people saying you can't bring him back.

What's your alternative. What's a sound plan here? Who is playing DE next year?

That sort of "logic" was what led to the Dez contract. Don't overvalue your own, just because he is the best end you have.

And Gregory MAY be a better pass rusher than he is.

Verdict

Reaction score
You're not getting him for less than $20 million a year.

That may welol be accurate. I just think at that kind of price I would move on and trade him for what I could get and move on from him.

Use that 1st round pick (or second of that is what the market will bear) on another player who can help is. Maybe a DT?

Verdict

Reaction score
Now your argument is just sad. When you don't know, just say you don't know.

Is 25 sacks for Lawrence over the past two years compared to 23 sacks for Khalil Mack also "apples to oranges" then?

I'm not sure that Mack is worth Mack money, longer term. It can be absorbed by the team in the first year, but over time that cap percentage starts costing you players you want to keep. Mack may end up being on a talentless team in 2 or 3 years.

Verdict

Reaction score
At $20 million a year, I'm not expecting him to.

Lawrence at $100 million for 5 years is far less than $141 million for Mack for 6 years.

Do you think he is in the same class as Mack? I don't think it's even close.

Verdict

Reaction score
A "bad two years" that got two 1st round picks and $141 million for him. Not "too bad"...

How about tied for 2nd in 2017? Elite.

If he is as good as Mack, then we need to trade him for the same deal that the Raiders got for Mack. Sign me up for that deal right now!

Verdict

Reaction score
Also - I'd looked this up earlier for another forum, and I figure I'll share it here. There are only 8 players who've put up double digit sacks for both of the last two years, and D-Law is one of them.

-Mack
-Von Miller
-Donald
-Ryan Kerrigan (crazy underrated)
-Cam Jordan
-Calais Campbell
-Chandler Jones

Breaking down what they all make:

Mack has a megadeal.
Miller has a megadeal.
Donald has a megadeal.
Campbell signed for $15 mil/year as a 31 year old in 2017.
Jones signed for $17 mil/year in 2017.
Kerrigan is somehow only making $11.5 million a year, even though he has 60 sacks over the last 5 years (I think Miller has like 64). He signed in 2015.
Jordan signed an $11 mil/year contract in 2015.

So if you're looking at it, you are either going to pay D-Law Chandler Jones money plus two years of cap inflation (13%) at the least, let him walk, or hop in a Delorean and sign him to an extension after his sophomore year in 2015.

Chandler Jones money plus 13% would be 5 years 93 million, so that's really about in line with the $100 million figure we've been seeing. I know CZ gets sticker shock easily, but $19-$20 million a season is fair market value for D-Law.

That's probably pretty close.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting he will get $70 million guaranteed. I expect it to be closer to $60 million. I've said that before. I think it's a 5-year, $100 million deal with $60 million and essentially the first three years "guaranteed" with options later.

That's probably pretty close. Someone will probably pay him that. I'm just not convinced that it is a good idea to do so.

I would also hate to lose him. He's a very good player.

Verdict

Reaction score
I have no issues with anything else, but I think it would be hard to convince anyone that he is a Top-3 4-3 DE in the NFL, let alone Top 3 overall.

Just looking at 4-3 DEs,all these guys could easily have a case for being considered better than Tank:
  1. Danielle Hunter
  2. Myles Garrett
  3. Chandler Jones
  4. Cameron Jordan
  5. Calais Campbell
This does not include the two 3-4 DEs that are most likely the two best DEs in the NFL:
  1. JJ Watt
  2. Aaron Donald
And as far as passrushers, I think most would consider him a tier below:
  1. Von Miller
  2. Khalil Mack
  3. Ryan Kerrigan
I could see a valid argument for Tank to be a Top 10 DE/Passrusher, but I can't put him in the Top-5 off his production so far.

Again, I don't really disagree with anything else, although I think you undersell how most players, not named Dez, understand this is a business. And I couldn't care less what he makes as it is not my money. He should get his while he can.

But I believe stating he is a Top-3 DE in the NFL is a clear example of a fan overvaluing a player on the team they support.

Spot on

Verdict

Reaction score
You people know nothing about the art of negotiations I see... You always start off high and meet in the middle, I expect this to get done fairly quickly honestly.

I don't. I think it's going to linger and we may end up trading him.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That's probably pretty close. Someone will probably pay him that. I'm just not convinced that it is a good idea to do so.

I would also hate to lose him. He's a very good player.
Think he will get a deal structured like Donald’s. Which is essentially a 4 yr deal. End up around 4 yrs 70-80mil with 50-60guranteed. With a yr left in prorated money to restructure and extend if he is still productive

Verdict

Reaction score
One thing I think I missed was what Stash thinks we SHOULD pay to keep Tank. I know there was a lot of back and forth about how he ranks and what he's worth on the open market.

Buyback I think those questions are less important than the cut off number that the Cowboys should stop at in negotiations. I'm curious where Stash would draw that line.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don't really care how it looks. You don't let a player hold you hostage.

Hostage? Lol... that is quite a defensive way to view the situation.

You draft a guy. Develop him. He ultimately produces for you. Your stated personnel philosophy is to “develop and sign your own guys.”

He wants to play longterm for you. You tag him and tell him to produce again for you to prove his big year wasn’t a fluke.

He accepts the tag— finishes with double digit sacks despite a shoulder that needs surgery— and he is holding the team hostage by wanting market value on a long term deal?

Strange logic

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I think I missed was what Stash thinks we SHOULD pay to keep Tank. I know there was a lot of back and forth about how he ranks and what he's worth on the open market.

Buyback I think those questions are less important than the cut off number that the Cowboys should stop at in negotiations. I'm curious where Stash would draw that line.

5-years, $100 million, with $60 million in guarantees looks like about the range to me.

CPanther95

Reaction score
The whole reason you get yourself out of cap hell is so you can afford to keep players like DLaw when contract time comes around.

If not, then what?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That may welol be accurate. I just think at that kind of price I would move on and trade him for what I could get and move on from him.

Use that 1st round pick (or second of that is what the market will bear) on another player who can help is. Maybe a DT?

He's not under contract, you're not trading him.

The decision is between signing him or letting him go.