RUMOR: Dwayne Jarrett to visit Valley Ranch?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
LatinMind;1430613 said:
lol i love when people bring up videos of games. especially when talking about draft prospects. and thinking a guy with a fast 40 time in the combine is so much better then a player that shows it on the field.

i dont care what people say about jarret, the guy is awsome in games. and unlike bowe and meacham and ginn. he's done it his whole career. not just the first yr they were eligible for the draft

I love when people don't realize it works both ways. Your using the same reasoning for Jarrett everyone used for Mike Williams (yes I compared) Just because they look great on tape at the college level does not mean they will make great pro's. Scouting is projecting how a player will produce in the NFL, not how he made 100+ college defensive backs whom 98% of which will never play a down in the NFL look.

WhizKid

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1430647 said:
I love when people don't realize it works both ways. Your using the same reasoning for Jarrett everyone used for Mike Williams (yes I compared) Just because they look great on tape at the college level does not mean they will make great pro's. Scouting is projecting how a player will produce in the NFL, not how he made 100+ college defensive backs whom 98% of which will never play a down in the NFL look.

TRUE. BUT, Mike Williams took a whole year off not working out and was in HORRIBLE condition. Jarrett has played and should be football fresh. And at the time Mike Williams was a good receiver coming out of college but he PROVED that he wasn't fit for a starting role in the NFL once he got in. Until Jarrett actually gets in the NFL and does bad or good, he IS the second best reciever in this draft until he proves not to be. But I do see what u are saying. It's just there are a lot of people who jumped on player's bandwagons after the combine(Meachem). Not saying Meachem is bad, he is good, it's just Jarrett has 3 yrs of ripping apart secondaries, with two different QBs, and a year without Bush. Meachem only has one good year.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Jarret took too many plays off- there were whole games that he could have dominated and did not. I do not want a WR that we have to motivate; I do not want ANY player that needs that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1430599 said:
just to reiterate, I would be kind of PO'd w/ Jarrett in the 1st

I would not be angry, just skeptical.

It is easy to see that Jarrett is getting some bad publicity for things Mike Williams has done and is being stigmatized. But he also doesn't offer much more than being a simple possession receiver.

Right now, I have a hard time seeing how he could make it on the field for us.

It is not like he's going to return punts in the NFL. Some of the other wide receivers we could take at the same point in the draft can and will.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
To me a reciever in the NFL has to be able to be physical when he comes across the middle of the field or not be shy with contact in that aspect. Some reports I have read on Jarrett say this "Needs to get stronger and be more physical...".

But I wouldn't mind him as our pick. We need a big recievier and the guy is athletic and would be a terror in the red zone.

Alexander

Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS;1430706 said:
To me a reciever in the NFL has to be able to be physical when he comes across the middle of the field or not be shy with contact in that aspect. Some reports I have read on Jarrett say this "Needs to get stronger and be more physical...".

But I wouldn't mind him as our pick. We need a big recievier and the guy is athletic and would be a terror in the red zone.

He is not a shrinking violet when it comes to contact the times I have watched him play.

I think you might have read a bad scouting report. Half the time you can read five and at least two will have contradictory or just completely wrong information in them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dwayne Jarrett is a good football player. The only thing some will not like about him is that he is a bit of a hot dog.

I do rank him behind Meacham and Bowe as far as targets for us at WR because Meacham is faster and Bowe runs cleaner routes. I also like their attitudes better, especially Meacham who seems like a down to earth kid to me. If we end up with Dwayne Jarrett it will NOT be the end of the world. The kid can play.

BTW, I prefer big, physical WRs and these 3 fit the bill. Jarrett is probably the most physical of the 3. In the NFL that can be a very good thing. As much as I dislike USC, this kid can play and be an important factor.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
anyone know what jarrett ran at the combine or if he has run at his pro day?

conner01

Reaction score
i would rather have neachum or bowe if we went wr. i just don't see jarrett ever being a #1 wr. i hope i'm wrong for his sake but he just reminds me of another kid in detriot way to much.if not meachum or bowe give me a cb

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teague31;1430768 said:
anyone know what jarrett ran at the combine or if he has run at his pro day?
USC hasn't had their pro day yet. I believe theirs is on the 28th. Jarrett he didn't run at the combine.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
burmafrd;1430701 said:
Jarret took too many plays off- there were whole games that he could have dominated and did not. I do not want a WR that we have to motivate; I do not want ANY player that needs that.
Not sure where you are getting this from. I have never read anything that supports that he "takes plays off"...I'd like to see a link that backs up this claim. People point to the Ark game and say Chris Houston shut him down, but Jarrett was coming off an injury and was used as a decoy to keep Houston off Smith. His biggest flaw is that Mike Williams flopped...that's it.

Alexander

Reaction score
carphalen5150;1430802 said:
Not sure where you are getting this from. I have never read anything that supports that he "takes plays off"...I'd like to see a link that backs up this claim. People point to the Ark game and say Chris Houston shut him down, but Jarrett was coming off an injury and was used as a decoy to keep Houston off Smith. His biggest flaw is that Mike Williams flopped...that's it.

And he is a "hot dog".

Since when is that a detriment to any WR?

I would characterize Michael Irvin as that and more.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;1430804 said:
And he is a "hot dog".

Guess it depends on the circumstance. I don't consider extreme celebration hot dogging.

I've only seen Jarrett play once that I can recall, but when I did, he had beat his man, was going in to score and he did a Reggie Bush. High stepped it and pointed toward the guy as he ran into the end zone. I don't necessarily like that no matter who the player is.

But I don't know that that one instance was indicative of his overall character. I just know I didn't like seeing that. But if the guy can play, he can play and while they're making good character a big offseason thing, talent will always drive teams to these guys every time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;1430804 said:
And he is a "hot dog".

I don't believe I said being a hot dog was a detriment. I don't believe I even inferred it was.

Alexander

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1430826 said:
But I don't know that that one instance was indicative of his overall character. I just know I didn't like seeing that. But if the guy can play, he can play and while they're making good character a big offseason thing, talent will always drive teams to these guys every time.

Reggie Bush did his wave in the heat of the moment.

Emmitt Smith waved at defenders also on several occasions.

That has nothing to do with their general character.

At any rate, hot dogging shouldn't be a big problem. A little arrogance is fine. I am more worried about players who can't back up their arrogance.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile;1430830 said:
I don't believe I said being a hot dog was a detriment. I don't believe I even inferred it was.

And at no point did I state you did, now did I?

You mentioned some don't care for the behavior. And that is correct.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;1430834 said:
Reggie Bush did his wave in the heat of the moment.

Emmitt Smith waved at defenders also on several occasions.

That has nothing to do with their general character.

At any rate, hot dogging shouldn't be a big problem. A little arrogance is fine. I am more worried about players who can't back up their arrogance.
It doesn't matter who the player is, still don't like that whole pointing/taunting thing. Early celebration is one thing, but that kinda stuff burns me up.

That said, I don't mind the arrogance, if, like you said, they can back it up.

Two separate things, IMO.

Gaede

Reaction score
Hostile;1430758 said:
Dwayne Jarrett is a good football player. The only thing some will not like about him is that he is a bit of a hot dog.

I do rank him behind Meacham and Bowe as far as targets for us at WR because Meacham is faster and Bowe runs cleaner routes. I also like their attitudes better, especially Meacham who seems like a down to earth kid to me. If we end up with Dwayne Jarrett it will NOT be the end of the world. The kid can play.

BTW, I prefer big, physical WRs and these 3 fit the bill. Jarrett is probably the most physical of the 3. In the NFL that can be a very good thing. As much as I dislike USC, this kid can play and be an important factor.

Yeah, that's how I feel too...There's other guys I would prefer, but I'm not upset at all if Jarrett's the pick.

I know there are some character/personality concerns, but I think Dallas would be a good spot. Even though TO is brash/arrogant and all that, he works extremely hard and would set a good example (in that regard, at least) for Jarrett.

Alexander

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1430841 said:
It doesn't matter who the player is, still don't like that whole pointing/taunting thing. Early celebration is one thing, but that kinda stuff burns me up.

That said, I don't mind the arrogance, if, like you said, they can back it up.

Two separate things, IMO.

If the biggest complaint one can have is that the player celebrates touchdowns and success like a hot dog, then that's a pretty good problem to worry about.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;1430844 said:
If the biggest complaint one can have is that the player celebrates touchdowns and success like a hot dog, then that's a pretty good problem to worry about.
Well yeah...

But his speed is an issue, so while a 40 time is just one component, I'm real curious as to what to he can run. With rumors of 4.7 floating around out there, it makes one wonder.