Rumor: Inside info on Cowboys draft/FA plans

Eskimo

Reaction score
Wayne02;4341549 said:
Holmes will make the roster next year. The Cowboys obviously thinks he's worth keeping otherwise they wouldn't have him active on game days while he's injured. Radway would have made this team this year (per Jerry) had he not gotten injured and Harris will also improve and has ST value. Holley and Ogletree will be the odd men out.

I guess time will tell.

I really don't see Holley being cut.

Otree will compete for the #3 job if Robinson ends up leaving. If Robinson stays I can definitely see Otree being the odd man out, though. The thing is that Harris, Holmes and Radway are all very raw as NFL WRs. It took Otree 2 years to see the field in this offense. Dez still hasn't figured out most of it. Robinson quickly adjusted to it but he has been in the league for 5 years and was playing in a very similar system in the preseason.

Garrett seems to need players who are a bit seasoned to understand his offense. Maybe Robinson will be better at getting players up to speed quicker than Sherman was through the offseason.

One thing I've learned on this board is there are just some guys who become targets. Bennett and Otree are targets on this board so anything they bring to the team is quickly dismissed. If Otree isn't on our team I am pretty sure he will be on someone else's team and will have a decent career as a #3 receiver.

Eskimo

Reaction score
perrykemp;4341637 said:
I agree. I thought the Eagles signing Jason Babin this offseason was a meaningless acquisition. Instead, the guy is leading (or near leading) the NFL in sacks with 18. I was wrong on what his impact would be.

The painful part... they signed him to a 5 year 28 million dollar deal --- very similar to what we just extended Orlando Scandrick for.

Who got the better value?

I do feel that these slightly aged pass rushers are the type of players that it is ok to go after in Free Agency.

Yep, the Eagles really scored with Babin. I am convinced that he is juicing, though. I've never seen another player with that career trajectory. He was a first round pick and averaged about 4-5 sacks a year untill he gets 12.5 at age 30 then 18 sacks in 15 games at age 31. Something is fishy here - I think it is only a matter of time before he is caught.

I do agree that vet pass rushers are good value in FA. Andre Carter has had a pretty good year in NE serving this role, too.

I am hoping for a deal with Osi at a reasonable level of compensation.

The deal with Oscan is stupid - someone take daddy's check book away from Stephen. This is another classic case of nepotism here. The kid is in over his head. At least he recognizes that he should hire himself a proper GM when daddy retires and the franchise is put in his hands.

Wayne02

Reaction score
Eskimo;4341640 said:
I guess time will tell.

I really don't see Holley being cut.

Otree will compete for the #3 job if Robinson ends up leaving. If Robinson stays I can definitely see Otree being the odd man out, though. The thing is that Harris, Holmes and Radway are all very raw as NFL WRs. It took Otree 2 years to see the field in this offense. Dez still hasn't figured out most of it. Robinson quickly adjusted to it but he has been in the league for 5 years and was playing in a very similar system in the preseason.

Garrett seems to need players who are a bit seasoned to understand his offense. Maybe Robinson will be better at getting players up to speed quicker than Sherman was through the offseason.

One thing I've learned on this board is there are just some guys who become targets. Bennett and Otree are targets on this board so anything they bring to the team is quickly dismissed. If Otree isn't on our team I am pretty sure he will be on someone else's team and will have a decent career as a #3 receiver.

I agree with you that O-tree is one of the whipping boys on this team, but some of it is deserved. I will say that he does have a little upside to his game and he is still young. Holley on the other hand is the oldest WR on the team and will never be anything more than a ST player. He has had some nice moments this year but he's not a player that has a high ceiling. If it came down to Ogletree or Holley I would definitely go with Ogletree because of that reason. IMO, they will both be gone. I'm really looking forward to what the Cowboys have in these young guys like Radway and Holmes.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Eskimo;4341648 said:
The deal with Oscan is stupid - someone take daddy's check book away from Stephen. This is another classic case of nepotism here. The kid is in over his head. At least he recognizes that he should hire himself a proper GM when daddy retires and the franchise is put in his hands.

How do you know this is true?

yimyammer

Reaction score
hra8700;4341461 said:

also Sean Lissemore will get a nice payday this offseason.

I would LOVE if they pulled a trent cole on him.

What does this mean?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
DallasDomination;4341283 said:
Nick Foles from Arizona?

Oh god I hope not. He's a statue out there.

whooops run DallasDomination, Foles is one of Hos's Favorite pet cats and from his alma mater college. Here he comes, run DD :eekmouse:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;4341363 said:
I haven't read the thread, but I am betting that guy is taking some heat, and rightfully so. Matt Forte and DeSean Jackson?

Caveat emptor.

:confused: I will bite, what does daveat emptor mean?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
dools;4341447 said:
Yes I'm on OB and yes most of his info is usually legit. That being said, I also have a hard time believing the team would be targeting Forte or D jackson. Doesn't Jackson have money problems of his own?

Eagles WR DeSean Jackson is said to be having Serious money issues. Speaking to the media on Monday following his benching over the weekend in an Eagles loss to the Cardinals, Jackson addressed the media and referenced a tough situation which he’ll have to face like a man.
http://jocksandstilettojill.com/201...ke-borrowing-money-from-agent-drew-rosenhaus/
That situation is allegedly owing hundreds of thousands of dollars to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Jackson is said to even have a credit card that is either co-signed by the agent or Jackson is a signer to his account.

“From what I’m told, [Jackson] owes Drew Rosenhaus a lot of money. . . . We’re talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is he broke? I don’t know how you define broke, but I know when he signs his new deal he will owe Drew Rosenhaus a lot of money.”

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4341152 said:
You couldn't be more wrong. As a new member, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

He's actually not wrong at all.. and this thread is a perfect example of that.

hra8700

Reaction score
yimyammer;4341785 said:
What does this mean?

Trent Cole was drafted in the fifth round.

Towards the end of his second year, he signed a 5 year 26 million dollar extension.

So, basically, they're getting 9 years of production out of him (his entire prime), for under 30 million dollars total.

And he's a multiple time all-pro.

I hate the eagles, but I love their front office.

yimyammer

Reaction score
hra8700;4342104 said:
Trent Cole was drafted in the fifth round.

Towards the end of his second year, he signed a 5 year 26 million dollar extension.

So, basically, they're getting 9 years of production out of him (his entire prime), for under 30 million dollars total.

And he's a multiple time all-pro.

I hate the eagles, but I love their front office.

thx, I love the creativity.

IIRC, they're pretty nimble with their contracts going into next season plus they have a slew of picks

BHendri5

Reaction score
dboy214;4340455 said:
took this from another (paid) website...the poster has history of posting accurate inside info about dfw/texas sports so i'll repost here.

talked to my buddy who works for the Cowboys, he said the Cowboys will target a Guard or DB In the first round and second rounds and look to
a QB early in the draft to groom behind Romo,possibly Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins they dont plan on cutting McGee but they dont trust him either. They also look to take another back in the draft.

They really like Cordy Glenn,Michael Floyd,Melvin Ingram,Devon Still,Courtney Upshaw,Janoris Jenkins,Mark Barron,Vontez Burfict, Dont'a Hightower,Lamichael James,Robert Lester,Jared Crick,Stephon Gilmore,Andre Branch.

People that has posted negative comments about what we want to draft, if this is true by the supposedly insider, well those people need to go to football 101.

All these guys that we are suppose to like, this is a draft targeting our needs. This is great!!!, it has Garrett written all over it. I am excited already about next season. we will still make some noise in the playoffs this season.

Anyway, we're targeting a another LT from Alabama, Iimagine if we pull that off, he'll start at RT, Smith moves to LT, Free, Costa, Nagy, Arkin, Loper, Kowalski will all battle for the C, OGs spots.

Devon Still is a very good DT from Penn State, Crick a Good DT from Nebraska, they have 2 safeties and 2 CBs, 4 LBs Good LBson the list.

Lamichael James we all know, Nick Foles is good, so is Kirk Cousins, they are good, of course I want RG3,I would give up Ware for RG3.

Folks, the players on our supposedly draft board comes from the SEC,Big10, Pac10

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dale;4340479 said:
I'm with you. I don't buy the Jackson or Forte speculation at all. What, are we also in the market for a high-profile tight end?

The Cowboys do not have their plans made yet. They may have certain scouts who like those guys but they haven't put together off-season wish lists as a team yet.

Teams scout tons of players and pull some profiles as interesting. These guys make sense in that vein. The guys are quality players who could be available. Even if many are bad team fits.

The draft tidbit does make sense. We need an interior lineman and a DB badly.

I think Desean Jackson goes to Washington if lil napoleon has any say at all. Snyder will pay him a premium as a Cowboys killer. If they dont go after him then it is fairly clear Shanny really is in charge.

All that matters right now is one more win for as many weeks as we can string them together.

alohawg

Reaction score
dboy214;4340455 said:
took this from another (paid) website...the poster has history of posting accurate inside info about dfw/texas sports so i'll repost here.

A QB, really, how stupid, they could have gotten Mallett last draft in the 3RD ROUND! unbelievable. :bang2:

hlh_8728

Reaction score
So Jackson and Forte are targets but Robinson isn't mentioned? This makes very little sense although I do agree with secondary and interior line early in the draft.