Rumor: Rodgers: Cowboys have standing trade offer for QB Mike Glennon

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think everybody knows that Prescott was like option #6 on the QB totem pole. Jerry said in that Peter King article that "when he has gotten a big payoff, he had to pay a big premium and when he went cheap he has always been disappointed"

Jerry is flat out telling you right there that Prescott is like shopping for a TV at Wal-Mart because you didn't want to pay for a name brand at Best Buy. Lynch is the top end model at Best Buy and Prescott is sitting in the bargin bin at Wal-Mart with a discount "rollback price" tag on the front of the box.

The good news for Prescott is that ownership doesn't have very high expectations for him, in fact the owner is already publicly saying if he could do it over again, he would not have drafted Prescott and instead traded the pick. That is a hell of a vote of confidence right there, Jerry basically told Prescott "if we could have a do over, you would not be wearing this jersey".

Dam, that's got to hurt.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think everybody knows that Prescott was like option #6 on the QB totem pole. Jerry said in that Peter King article that "when he has gotten a big payoff, he had to pay a big premium and when he went cheap he has always been disappointed"

Jerry is flat out telling you right there that Prescott is like shopping for a TV at Wal-Mart because you didn't want to pay for a name brand at Best Buy. Lynch is the top end model at Best Buy and Prescott is sitting in the bargin bin at Wal-Mart with a discount "rollback price" tag on the front of the box.

The good news for Prescott is that ownership doesn't have very high expectations for him, in fact the owner is already publicly saying if he could do it over again, he would not have drafted Prescott and instead traded the pick. That is a hell of a vote of confidence right there, Jerry basically told Prescott "if we could have a do over, you would not be wearing this jersey".

Dam, that's got to hurt.

I agree with your take, except I don't think it's insulting. If Goff was a marble statue that kind of looked like David, Lynch was a nice piece of marble that was in the process of getting roughed out into more or less a humanoid shape. Prescott's a slab they just dug out of the quarry. You get the slabs cheaper because you've got more work to do, but it doesn't mean it's a lesser piece of material to start with. It just means you've got a lot of work to do, and there's lots of places to mess up before it ends up looking good. And you might always decide instead to pay a bit more for a more finished product at any point.

The only thing it costs you is reps, which is actually a big deal. But if Prescott shows potential, the team will put in the work. He's just got to earn the attention he needs to develop.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This could be something old prior to the draft finally hitting the airwaves.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Was it easier to type and submit an irrelevant post than to be quiet?
It was very relevant because it was a response to something douchey that you typed. And no, it wasn't easier bit it's a fan forum that allows me to comment on any post as long as I don't break the rules.
Your life must be very difficult if you can get that offended over a joke post btw.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
It was very relevant because it was a response to something douchey that you typed. And no, it wasn't easier bit it's a fan forum that allows me to comment on any post as long as I don't break the rules.
Your life must be very difficult if you can get that offended over a joke post btw.

Yes, a person like you would consider a substantive post "douchey."

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Not sure if they had or have an offer, how would anyone know, but I like Glennon who has some game, accuracy and a good release.

However, he is a pocket QB without great escapability and we all seen how same style Cassel/Weeden performed with this team. Plus for those wanting Glennon, keep in mind that the Bucs loaded Offensive talent is the main reason Winston was successful.

Like the player but shaky at best that he fits here. Meanwhile, Showers > Dak.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't buy it. This must be from Glennon's agent. Until I hear it from someone on the CBoys official media.

I agree. The Bucs jump on either of those offers and don't look back. Glennon is a back up now that Winston is on board. Two 3s or a 2nd for a backup quarterback? Any san GM is on that in a heart beat. Then, again, this is the team that drafted a kicker with its 2nd round pick. :rolleyes:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Assuming this rumor is true, it would be because ..

2) as much as I like the Prescott draft pick, he's a developmental quarterback that the Cowboys will not have a good read on for at least a couple of years

I don't know if this is true. The Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson in the third and was ready to go with Matt Flynn. But Wilson showed so much promise in Training Camp and the pre-season that the Seahawks aborted their plans to start Flynn and went with Wilson.

Of course, Tony Romo is way more entrenched as the starting quarterback than Flynn was with the Seahawks. But Tony's not going to see much time in the preseason, for obvious reasons. That will give Prescott a chance to show whether he's a three-to-four year development player or whether he can grasp enough to show he's a fast learn and be ready to assume the backup role this or next year.

They say Prescott is bright and is a quick learner. We shall see, earlier rather than later is my prediction.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if this is true. The Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson in the third and was ready to go with Matt Flynn. But Wilson showed so much promise in Training Camp and the pre-season that the Seahawks aborted their plans to start Flynn and went with Wilson.

Of course, Tony Romo is way more entrenched as the starting quarterback than Flynn was with the Seahawks. But Tony's not going to see much time in the preseason, for obvious reasons. That will give Prescott a chance to show whether he's a three-to-four year development player or whether he can grasp enough to show he's a fast learn and be ready to assume the backup role this or next year.

They say Prescott is bright and is a quick learner. We shall see, earlier rather than later is my prediction.
I have followed Prescott all through his college career. You are right that Prescott is smart and a quick learner, and he definitely has the ability to rally a team around him. However, it's his skills that need time to develop. You can know what to do, but learning to do it quickly in game situations is another thing. A lot of first round picks fail to do that in their first season and many of them are deemed NFL-ready coming out of college.

If Prescott were forced to play this season, the Cowboys would have to do what Washington did for RG3, which is to basically run a college offense. Because that is a temporary solution, most teams would never do that unless forced to mid-season (except the Commanders of course). The Cowboys have their backup who can run their pro offense now in Moore, so there is no reason for them to rush Prescott at this point. The smartest thing they can do is give him time to learn and see how he progresses over the next two years. That said, I hope he does well and sooner than expected.

ccb04

Reaction score
Dear god, this guy gets sacked like a poker dealer deals cards.

2013: 13 Starts, 416 ATT, 40 (40!!!!) sacks! (sacked every 10.4 attempts!)
2014: 5 Starts, 203 ATT 16 sacks! (sacked every 12.6 attempts!)

Romo's absolute worst year from a quick glance is 15.3 attempts per sack. That is his WORST with a decent sample size and we've had some crappy OL play before all the 1st round picks. His career average is 17.4.

That 10.4 is an EXTREMELY short career terrible sack rate. This kid must be holding on to the ball way way way too long.

Holding on to the ball too long at times played a part. And unlike Glennon, Romo has been able to elude some sacks his entire career due to his wizardry in the pocket, despite also holding on to the ball too long at times. That said, it was also related to the Bucs O-Line, which was one of the worst in the NFL.

Mike Glennon (2013): 19 TD's vs. 9 Int's...59.4 comp. %...sacked 40 times in 13 starts

Luke McCown (2014): 11 TD's vs. 14 Int's...56.3 comp. %...sacked 36 times in 11 starts

Glennon was a rookie for most of his starts, while McCown was a 12 year vet at the time. McCown of course performed better in Chicago & Cleveland, though he was sacked quite a bit with the Browns in 8 starts, and has also lost a total of 10 fumbles over his last 19 starts. While he regressed a bit in his 5 starts in 2014, being a younger/less experienced guy, Glennon could improve...whereas the 36 y/o McCown is what he is. Some stability also might be nice for Glennon as well, as he's been through 3 HC's & 2 OC's heading into his 4th season. Not sure about his position coach.

NFL Films Greg Cosell on Glennon: "Glennon played behind one of the NFL's worst lines last year and it showed, but his 18 career starts include moments of genuine promise."

More from Cosell on Glennon: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ad-mike-glennon-done-very-021115946--nfl.html

I was open to possibly attempting to trade for Glennon (or Garoppolo), depending on the draft. Don't see a trade now though. It's interesting to see the Bucs hanging onto Glennon despite having a young potential franchise QB in place, given the fact he'll be an unrestricted free agent at seasons end, and also that they've reportedly received some good offers. But it illustrates the value of QB's...even back up's. The Schiano regime drafted & liked Glennon, while Lovie brought in his guy McCown & then drafted Winston. And even last season, Lovie acknowledged teams had inquired about Glennon...but they decided not to move him then either, as they likely wanted to see how Winston developed.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
The only two picks I would give up would be two 6th or 7th rounders. He's going to be a back up, no way he's worth TWO 3rd rounds picks, maybe one 3rd rnd pick and that's a stretch. What they should do is trade Leary and a 5th/6th for Glennon. that's more doable in my opinion.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why? Have you not seen how important a backup QB is?

But the idea of a backup QB is a guy you're not investing a lot in and don't expect to be the starter. If you take a guy in the first or second and (maybe even) the third round, you're generally looking at that guy as a starter.

In fact, when you take players in the first three rounds, you're looking at them as starters.

So if a team is going to give up a second or third rounder for your backup quarterback, why would you not take it?

Those picks should basically yield future starters if you know how to draft.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Hope not he's not worth 1 3rd round pick let alone 2. He won't keep this team alive if romo goes down.