Rumor: Skins enchanted with Russell

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yahoo:

TRADING UP FOR JaMARCUS?

BATON ROUGE, La. – Where will JaMarcus Russell land? It's still too early to tell, but the trade whispers have started to circulate around the potential No. 1 pick in the draft. A prominent one has the Washington Commanders taking a keen interest.

According to a source with intimate knowledge of the situation, Commanders owner Dan Snyder has become enamored with the idea of drafting Russell, which has in turn fueled speculation Washington could be targeting Oakland's No. 1 pick in a trade scenario. The trade could involve Commanders quarterback Jason Campbell, the team's first-round pick in 2005, getting dealt to another team, or to the Raiders as part of a package to move up in the draft.

Russell has impressed the Raiders thus far, both with his skills set and his quiet-but-confident demeanor, which the team got to see over dinner at Ruffino's Italian Restaurant on Tuesday night in Baton Rouge. But coach Lane Kiffin insisted Wednesday Oakland was going to explore trading the No. 1 pick.

As it stands, Russell is set to take visits for personal workouts with Oakland, Washington, the Detroit Lions and Cleveland. If Washington were to be involved in a trade with the Raiders, a move to the top choice would likely cost the Commanders a healthy package of picks and possibly players. And it's worth noting Washington doesn't have a second-round pick this year to use for ammunition, having already dealt that choice away to the New York Jets (who sent the pick to the Chicago Bears as part of the Thomas Jones deal).
– Charles Robinson

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't want them having Russell, but I'd love to see them give up even more draft picks.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1422124 said:
this would make my year

Agreed. It would be even better if a couple of years later Campbell became a consistent probowl caliber QB.... for another team...and Russell turned into the next Tim Couch.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Too sweet. This is why the NFL Draft is great.

Ink the deal, quick, before it's too late!

:laugh2:

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
i still find it funny that he had one great game against nd's horrible D and now is the number one pick.

the guy was never once mentioned for heisman during the season, not once.

how could the skins afford a number one pick anyways?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I don't think they have the bullets to pull it off, and Campbell has hardly been given a fair audition.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
According to Todd McShay this was the best QB Pro Day he has ever been to. Whatever that is worth...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Muhast;1422133 said:
i still find it funny that he had one great game against nd's horrible D and now is the number one pick.

the guy was never once mentioned for heisman during the season, not once.

how could the skins afford a number one pick anyways?
If you hadn't heard of Russell before the ND game, you're not paying attention. Actually look at something besides ESPN sometime, you might learn something.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The only way the Skins could move up from 6 to 1 and get him from Oakland would be to give up future number 1 picks.

That would also mean they admit wasting two number 1's on Campbell.

Please do it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;1422128 said:
Agreed. It would be even better if a couple of years later Campbell became a consistent probowl caliber QB.... for another team...and Russell turned into the next Tim Couch.

or Byron Leftwich, give or take

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Hostile;1422143 said:
The only way the Skins could move up from 6 to 1 and get him from Oakland would be to give up future number 1 picks.

Please do it.

Apparently, because those are the only ones they ever seem to have.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile;1422143 said:

Please do it.

I'm not sure of that. A guy like Sean Taylor or Chris Cooley might draw some serious interest.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
theogt;1422142 said:
If you hadn't heard of Russell before the ND game, you're not paying attention. Actually look at something besides ESPN sometime, you might learn something.

lol i never said I didnt hear of him. I said he is now considered the number one pick, but during the season he wasnt even talked about. Russell is a lot like Kyle Boller in my eyes.

I watched Russell struggle to move the ball against tennessee, and then saw the backup come in and have lots of success moving the ball. Im just not that impressed by him or Quinn. Neither is worth the first pick imo

Om

Reaction score
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/
Commanders Insider
Jason LaCanfora
Posted at 12:39 PM ET, 03/15/2007

The Jamarcus Rumors Are Bogus/Todd Wade To Sign Today

First of all, before this becomes an internet craze and takes on a life of its own, I have people in authority at Commanders Park telling me with much vigor that the team is in no way trying to trade up and take the LSU QB first overall. There is nothing to this at all. Get your fingers off the mouse and do not send another email floating this junk. No need to waste any more time on it.

The Skins love Campbell and want to give him every chance to succeed. They are actually trying to trade down from everything I've heard and the idea that The Owner is infatuated with Russell and willing to blow up this draft and trade a potential franchise QB they gave up a lot of get just two years ago is naive. The Snyder commands ultimate authority over there, but this idea, as reported on Yahoo.com, is lunacy.

Everybody takes their shots at The Snyder for one reason or another, but at least have some facts in line before you do. Everything I have heard tells me that Russell's agents are behind this, spoon-feeding it to reporters at the Pro Day, to create a market for their player. They want Oakland to have to compete with someone to get every last dollar for their client, and creating the perception that Dan The Man was going to offering huge money and trying to get this kid only helps their position.

I actually spoke to one of his reprensatives Wed. night - I called earlier about a completely unrelated matter and never gave consideration for a second that the Skins were after Russell - and got an earfull of how much the Skins love him and Snyder is out to get him.

Again, I am told this is completely false, and I wouldn't be shocked that should this rumor get too out of control Coach Joe might even come out and make a statement on it if need be. For now, though, they hope it dies and isn't something that JC would heard about or have to worry about, because it's not true.

Okay, now on to Todd Wade. His agent, Ken Kremer, emailed to say Todd has agreed to terms on a two-year deal, and will sign it today. I am guessing the numbers Schefter reported - $3.5 guaranteed and $6 million total - are probably right now, but have yet to hear them myself, so I can only go with what I know for now.

Look for the Skins to announce the Yoder deal by tomorrow, and probably announce Wade by Friday as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1422137 said:
According to Todd McShay this was the best QB Pro Day he has ever been to. Whatever that is worth...

Yeah, he said he has been for like 10 years running and I know for a fact that Payton Manning and Carson Palmer were both close to flawless when they came out. I know that Russell missed a couple of throws and he timed at something like 4.8. That's not all that great IMO. I don't mean to say that he isn't talented but I watched him at LSU. He was far from perfect IMO. I guess we will see. I hope the Skinz trade there lives away to get him. I really do.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Muhast;1422154 said:
lol i never said I didnt hear of him. I said he is now considered the number one pick, but during the season he wasnt even talked about. Russell is a lot like Kyle Boller in my eyes.

I watched Russell struggle to move the ball against tennessee, and then saw the backup come in and have lots of success moving the ball. Im just not that impressed by him or Quinn. Neither is worth the first pick imo
Maybe you're thinking of another game. Against Tennesse, Russell threw for 247 yards, 3 TDs, had a QB rating of 135 and rushed for 71 yards.