Rumor: Skins enchanted with Russell

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
theogt;1422299 said:
I guess this draft thing is kinda new to them.

That's not the only thing that is new to them! Having a winning season every once in awhile is enough to satisfy them...and that is something new!

:laugh2:

apickmans

Reaction score
5Stars;1422297 said:
This, IMO, is just a bogus rumor! Although, if that did happen, it sure would ruin a young man in the process! (Campbell)...

This is nothing...as much as I dispise the RedStinks, I just cannot imagine The Midget doing such a thing....however, he does have a track record of playing fantasy football.

I hope its just a rumor. It would take a lot to get to that #1 spot.....im just remembering what NY Giants traded up to the chargers for the #1 pick a few years ago.

kmd24

Reaction score
Everything I have heard tells me that Russell's agents are behind this, spoon-feeding it to reporters at the Pro Day, to create a market for their player. They want Oakland to have to compete with someone to get every last dollar for their client, and creating the perception that Dan The Man was going to offering huge money and trying to get this kid only helps their position.

Maybe I'm dumb as a stump, but how would this rumor do anything to help Russell's contract negotiations? I can't see the logic...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Sixty NFL personnel were in attendance, including a prominent contingent from the Washington Commanders: Dan Snyder (owner), Joe Gibbs (head coach), Al Saunders (offensive coordinator), Vinny Cerrato (vice president of football operations) and Jack Burns (offensive assistant).

No way they would have sent that contingent if they weren't contemplating making a move. It's not as if Russell was magically going to "fall" to them at 6.

Reaction score
Why would they be so interested in Russell when they have a good up and coming QB, again Washington front office is the Joke of the league....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
apickmans;1422311 said:
I hope its just a rumor. It would take a lot to get to that #1 spot.....im just remembering what NY Giants traded up to the chargers for the #1 pick a few years ago.

It has to be a rumor! Your team has other holes that need addressed in this draft, and QB is not one of them.

Someone is blowing smoke...

If anything, your team needs to trade down for more picks and get some youth on the team...

This is bogus...

apickmans

Reaction score
bbgun;1422318 said:
No way they would have sent that contingent if they weren't contemplating making a move. It's not as if Russell was magically
going to "fall" to them at 6.

They could also be making it seem like they would draft Calvin J. if he somehow fell to them at the 6th spot, thus forcing another team to offer a lot more.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
apickmans;1422331 said:
They could also be making it seem like they would draft Calvin J. if he somehow fell to them at the 6th spot, thus forcing another team to offer a lot more.

This is why I like the draft! There is alot of poker going on here...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
apickmans;1422331 said:

This is "Wishful Thinking" at it's finest.

Never, and I mean NEVER, in a million years will Calvin Johnson fall to the #6 spot. If the Raiders were to take the best player in the draft, Calvin Johnson would be the pick. He will NOT be a Commander unless they trade up for him.

apickmans

Reaction score
Rack;1422346 said:

Never, and I mean NEVER, in a million years will Calvin Johnson fall to the #6 spot. If the Raiders were to take the best player in the draft, Calvin Johnson would be the pick. He will NOT be a Commander unless they trade up for him.

Its not like im getting all excited about what I read from that pro day report. I know theres like no chance he will fall to us, i was just saying what I thought was happening.

MossBurner

Reaction score
bbgun;1422318 said:
No way they would have sent that contingent if they weren't contemplating making a move. It's not as if Russell was magically going to "fall" to them at 6.

Maybe they were there to see Laron Landry or another of the 6 LSU prospects projected to go in the first two rounds.

I would not be surprised at all to see the Skins trade down to 8 or 9, select Landry, and then use the 2nd or 3rd round pick gained in the trade to get a DE. Landry is special and would make the Skins secondary young and scary.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Muhast;1422133 said:
i still find it funny that he had one great game against nd's horrible D and now is the number one pick.

the guy was never once mentioned for heisman during the season, not once.

how could the skins afford a number one pick anyways?

Who cares if he wasn't mentioned for the heisman? What does that have to do with anything? Troy Smith won the Heisman and everyone knows he won't sniff the 1st round.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Om;1422164 said:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99612

Washington Commanders coach Joe Gibbs launched a passionate defense of starting quarterback Patrick Ramsey yesterday, raising questions about a published report that the club might trade Ramsey if it acquires Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell in this weekend's NFL Draft.

ESPN.com reported Tuesday night that the Commanders acquired the 25th overall pick to select Campbell, whose dominant senior season shot him into the draft's group of elite passers. Gibbs didn't deny interest in Campbell, but his comments on Ramsey made it sound like Campbell at most would be a developmental player in Washington next season.

"The good thing about Patrick Ramsey, he knows where he stands with us," Gibbs said. "He's our starting quarterback. He's somebody we're counting on being the guy that takes us to the promised land. And what we're trying to do, as a coaching staff and an organization, we're trying to field the best possible team we can, including putting every single thing around him that can make him look good."

Gibbs' comments came as part of a predraft round-table interview, at which vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and owner Dan Snyder also spoke. Gibbs admitted to being at Auburn on Tuesday but said it was one of several trips that day. The coach wouldn't talk specifically about Campbell.

"I'd say right now, all options are open for us," Gibbs said. "Obviously we think we've got certain needs. But also you want to be prepared all the way across the board."

Gibbs, Cerrato and Snyder said that, in contrast to what Cerrato claimed Tuesday, they are willing to package the No. 25 pick overall (which they acquired from the Denver Broncos for a 2006 first-rounder, 2005 third-rounder and 2006 fourth-rounder) with the ninth pick overall (their original first-rounder) to move into the draft's upper reaches.

Snyder said the Commanders "absolutely" are willing to move up, while Cerrato reversed course and said Washington spent yesterday calling "every team in front of" it. The logical player for the Commanders to draft in the top five would be Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards.

"We're evaluating everything, so we can have options," Cerrato said. "Is moving up the best option? Is moving back the best option? Staying at nine and 25? We're going to gather all the information and then do what's best for the organization."

Of course, it's difficult to tell what's true and what's not this time of year. If the Commanders really are targeting Campbell at No. 25, the information becoming public is a big problem. Now a team at the top of the second round, such as the Cleveland Browns or Tampa Bay Buccaneers, could jump Washington without much ammunition.

Snyder, who according to one NFL source was talking up Campbell at the owners meetings Tuesday, said trading for No. 25 so early in the week would be a bonehead play if Washington were targeting just one player. He cited last year's move for third-round H-back Chris Cooley as an example of how to land a specific player.

"Generally if you're targeting a particular player, you'd do it draft day because you don't know if a player's going to be there or not," Snyder said. "You don't really do what we did with a target of one or two guys. You think you've got an array of options and alternatives."

Statements from Gibbs, Cerrato and Snyder made it sound like Washington is targeting two positions of depth in the first round -- most likely cornerback at No. 9 and wide receiver at No. 25. Said Snyder: "If you look at what will be there and you run depth of position and you run grids out, you get a pretty good comfort zone that it would be safe to do the transaction."

To defend trading away three picks for a late first-rounder, the Commanders trotted out their draft-value board. According to the board, Washington gave up 715 "points" to acquire a pick worth 750 "points." The board assigns a point value to every selection and devalues year-in-advance picks by one round.

Tuesday's deal left Washington with just three selections after the first round -- a fourth-rounder, a sixth-rounder and a seventh-rounder. Thus a team that has had difficulty developing quality depth could be hamstrung again.

Still lingering, though, is the fate of wide receiver Rod Gardner. Gibbs said the Commanders have a "game plan" for trading Gardner this weekend -- probably for a mid-round pick -- and added that the absence of a deal already isn't because of contractual issues between Gardner and possible new teams.

"I think it's just all of us more or less reaching an agreement [about] what's best for him," Gibbs said.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
TOOMBS;1422300 said:
You are a very poor moderator, and the biggest homer on that site next to Bubba and Art.

Never post here again, and LOL at your damage control.

*edit* I loved your post about how the media's assumption that the Skins are losers based on poor FA and draft decisions are, in fact, cliche and false. You tried to trick everyone into thinking it was a fair discussion, yet you would discourage anyone posting an opinion that didn't fit your agenda.

oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!

BURN! :)

firehawk350

Reaction score
Rack;1422346 said:

Just like Matt Leinart wouldn't fall to #10 last year, or that the Houston would pass up Reggie Bush? Past drafts say that a player or two in the top 5 falls and you can never tell which player that will be. Yeah, Johnson or Russell probably won't be there at 6, but better too prepared then caught by surprise

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
So....

Either Jason Campbell is not the QB the Skins fans are proclaiming him to be and Snyder was a grade A dumbarse for moving up to draft him a full round too high

OR

Jason Campbell is a decent QB and Snyder just has an itchy trigger finger because he is, in fact, a grade A dumbarse who wants nothing more than to make headlines

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I can remember worse franchises, but I cannot recall a franchise in the history of sport that was just so pitiful in every possible way from the front office on down. The Commanders are a joke, a complete and utter joke. And I love it. :D

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
firehawk350;1422432 said:
Just like Matt Leinart wouldn't fall to #10 last year, or that the Houston would pass up Reggie Bush? Past drafts say that a player or two in the top 5 falls and you can never tell which player that will be. Yeah, Johnson or Russell probably won't be there at 6, but better too prepared then caught by surprise

Barring character issues, drug issues, domestic violence issues, or something else related that could kill his stock, the player who is considered the "best player in the draft" by almost every draft pundit regardless of every position possible does not fall out of the top #5.

Leinert was never considered the best player available, and Bush was the #2 pick.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i cant believe some of you would actually like to see this happen. Russel as a QB against our DBs? that scares the crap out of me. I love our guys, but santana moss and Russel? that scares me a bit