Run defense is broken

mooseman

Reaction score
It always has been
Ya , never has been fixed .
We fail every year in the second half as the weather gets bad , yeams turn to the run more and we suck.
Natural grass slows us down and teams just hitch their wagons and run us over .
Same old song ..

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
AZ ran for over 200 yards, did Hankins play in that game?
What is frustrating to me is that the same way our defense gets momentum and landslides the opponent with an early lead, it seems like an opponent that gets the lead early and has success rushing the ball does the exact opposite thing to us and landslides our team!

We had some good performances against the run this year. Let's face it... at several points in this game we were on the 3rd string for LB, S and DT. Hard to stop the run when your most important positions for it are all scrubs, and you lose the lead early. Yeah, I know, Mazi and Gallimore were there, but not sure those guys even deserve to be in the 2nd string conversation.

Zman5

Reaction score
AZ ran for over 200 yards, did Hankins play in that game?
AZ has a above average run game. They are ranked higher (9) than us (11) in yards per game. They also 4th in yard per attempt. We are 19th.

The Natural

Reaction score
AZ has a above average run game. They are ranked higher (9) than us (11) in yards per game. They also 4th in yard per attempt. We are 19th.
its a yes or no question and you didn’t answer.

Zman5

Reaction score
its a yes or no question and you didn’t answer.

Did you even read my post?
Go look at the run defense before we got Hankins. Any average running team were able to run on us. With him, at least we can stop the average running teams on early downs which allows us to do rush the passer more often. Unfortunately, we can't stop above average running teams even with him.
AZ is not just an average rushing team. Why are you surprised they were able to run fro 200yards on us? They are ranked 4th in yards per attempt and 9th in yards per game. That's an above average running team.

Redline360

Reaction score
Teams that can get out to an early jump on us will be our kryptonite. Our defense is mainly built on holding the lead and forcing turnovers via the passing game / pass rush.

Wasn't there a post that Dallas is absolutely horrendous when trailing a few weeks ago?

ghst187

Reaction score
Hankins being out was huge. They should sign Suh.

Mazi Smith? I mean people will say don't give up on him but he was obliterated out there today. You'd expect improvement over the course of the season and it's just not there.
Looked like TCU running around, past, and through Mazi

quickccc

Reaction score

Nope ... not LVE. That's a physically big LB - that does not play big ... Hasn't as such since his stand out rookie year.
he's not a playmaker.

- Ditto with Clark, ..you don't get INTs, peanut punch fumbles, sacks or several tackles for losses.
JAG alert.

- Hankins, yes ... but i also recall teams like Arizona, Carolina rolling over us vs rub, even with Hankins in the lineup.
We have not build around him, and Hanks is getting up there in age.

- Stopping the run has and is still an Achilles Heel with Quinn, he's band-aid the problem but he has yet to
resolve the problem long term, imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
James is good, but Poor Mans Aaron Jones good

We made him look like his brother in his prime today
The way we see Bills RB James Cook being used as an All Purpose RB , in both run game and pass game
is EXACTLY how we should be scheming and using Tony Pollard.

Quick RB screens, swing flairs and shallow crosses outta backfield - Cook is making big chink splash plays
that we should have been seeing in Pollard.

But we're still trying to make Pollard an angry interior bell cow back.
And it's puzzling since McCarthy has had an Aaron Jones type in his own offense in GB.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hankins being out was huge. They should sign Suh.

Mazi Smith? I mean people will say don't give up on him but he was obliterated out there today. You'd expect improvement over the course of the season and it's just not there.
And we still would've gutted out on the edge runs.. as it seemed Cook at a field day all day in that area.

Bagman

Reaction score
We need to draft big T'Vondre Sweat in next year's draft, the 6'4 362 lb Big 12 DPOY and Outland Trophy Winner out of Texas. That's who we should've waited to drafted anyways over Mazi. A true 4-Tech and game-wrecker in the middle.
T_vondre_Sweat_DSC04430.jpg

We need to draft big T'Vondre Sweat in next year's draft, the 6'4 362 lb Big 12 DPOY and Outland Trophy Winner out of Texas. That's who we should've waited to drafted anyways over Mazi. A true 4-Tech and game-wrecker in the middle.

T_vondre_Sweat_DSC04430.jpg
We won't. Our FO will drool over some 180 lb CB while a team like the Ravens will grab that monster.

kskboys

Reaction score
LVE? Please.

Damone Clark is just the latest in the line of Jaylon, LVE, Bradie James, Bruce Carter of suck.

LB has taken over as the position that the Cowboys can’t draft.

DT is a close second.
I put DT at #1, but agree that it's both!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingofholland

Reaction score
As Greg pointed out this isn't the style of game we're used to playing and it didn't help when we're extended opponent drives with dumb flags. This game should have been an ugly 3-3 at half time and maybe the d wouldn't have quit.

Cowboys need some more LBs, this hybrid 3 safety D isnt setup to stop teams that pound the rock.

ICP

Reaction score
I'm not sure it was ever 'not' broken, especially vs physical teams