Run defense is broken

Robster8989

Reaction score
We gave up 7.2 ypc to Dalvin Cooks lil bro.

Dan Quinn is a fra

Still can't believe we drafted Mazi over Joey Porter Jr. and then immediately followed that up in the 2nd Round by drafting Luke Schoonmaker over O'Cyrus Torrence, who was opning up huge running lanes against us all day today. We could've had a future All-Pro DB and a future starting RG with our top-2 picks this year. Or Even Tank Dell at WR. Instead we got what appears to be 2 busts right now. A Jerry Jones Special indeed.

Holding out hope both of those cats improve as they're both young, but knowing we who passed on them for stings at the moment.
Torrence and Conor McGovern were crushing us today.

CWR

Reaction score
If it was only our run defense that didn't show up, we might have had a chance.
You can pretty much bank on a loss with that type of defensive effort. I think you'd be very challenged to find a team who won after giving up 200yds to a rb.

Plenty of blame to go around, but no one is winning with that.

ArtClink

Reaction score
We gave up 7.2 ypc to Dalvin Cooks lil bro.

Dan Quinn is a fraud
I think poor execution by the defense also greatly contributed. Stopping the run has been our Achilles heel for 25+ years and the reason we haven’t sniffed an nfc championship gm for 28 seasons.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It is 1 game.

The problem with this game is it will be 2028 and you'll all still be crying for a big DT who doesn't do anything.

75boyz

Reaction score
I thought the drafting of Mazi Smith and all the praise it garnered around here for finally acknowledging this ongoing problem was highly touted by most here that the team had turned a corner in their stopping the run defensive philosophy.

I coulda swore a large majority of CZ 's finest armchair GM's specifically saying how impactful this stop the run defense first round 1T acquisition would significantly improve our past inability to stop the run.

Those opinions seem slightly off after yesterday's showing.

Creeper

Reaction score
We can get the beefiest DT's in the world but it won't matter if we keep playing 205 pound safeties at LB (hello Markquese Bell) and have players in position to make the tackles miss (hello Jayron Kearse) or take horrible pursuit angles and blow gap responsibilities (insert every other defensive player here).
The small LBs can be effective if they use their quickness to avoid blocks and get off blocks quickly to get to the ball carrier before he gets downfield. That did not happen last night. But the problem was also the outside contain guys. They kept getting blocked inside and out of the play. They were not squaring up to the LOS and fighting their blocks to clog things up so the pursuit could get there. Cook often delayed his attack to the hole letting things develop and finding a gap to run through but again, that cannot happen if the pursuit gets off their blocks and into the hole. The Cowboys missed Hankins last night just because he knows how to occupy blockers and prevent them from getting to the second level. But most of the problem was the DEs last night, I thought.