Running back market is flooded

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
My point wasn't even necessarily to get anyone on the list, rather with all those names potentially available, I don't see big money flying towards anyone.

Which might also provide more incentive for Demarco to compromise and stay..

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has researched the "magic number" where a back gets into the "flow" of a game. I don't know if the number is 18 or 20 or 22 or 15 for that matter.

But regardless I do agree there needs to be a "lead dog" and another guy that get a handful of carries per game.

This goes back to the Herschel Walker days, Mr 1,000 push-ups and sit-ups when he said he starts to get stronger after about 10+touches..

-Paraphrased

Fontaine

Reaction score
Ingram would be amazing behind that line. Hopefully jerry and boys give him a call.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We already have our future back already no need to get anyone. Ryan Williams is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Seattle, San Fran, Indy, if he's smart he goes to a winning team or a team that needs a few pieces. I hope we don't rue this one...

SEA has Lynch, Turbin and Michael
SF just drafted Carlos Hyde
IND has to pay TRich 3.1m , I don't see them investing in RB

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We already have our future back already no need to get anyone. Ryan Williams is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

If Dallas doesn't reach a deal with Murray, I think they go the cheap route and let Randle, Williams, Dunbar and a mid round draft pick fight it out.

Maybe sign a vet from the list above, but for the minimum

brymatt94

Reaction score
Running back, which is a position that is easiest to find a player or players, the market is especially flooded for 2015.

The Cowboys would be making another Barber mistake by paying Murray, especially after his fumble helped us lose that playoff game. That shouldn't be rewarded. His fumbles have often set the tone for our games.

My prediction is a team without a running game will be attracted to Murray, but what they'll find is that they don't have a running game not because their running back isn't any good, but because they don't have an offensive line. It'll be a lot like the Laurent Robinson signing in Jacksonville. You're getting the player not the offense that allowed that player to thrive.

Unlike Robinson though, I believe when Murray signs somewhere next year and his production isn't the same, the league will finally let the ball drop on paying running backs big money.

DeMarco Murray
CJ Spiller
Mark Ingram
Frank Gore
Ryan Matthews
Knowshon Moreno
Darren McFadden
Adrian Peterson*
Marshawn Lynch*
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon

I'd add Tevin Coleman from Indiana to the list of draftable backs. He hasn't gotten the credit he deserves because of his school but he's the player that reminds me the most of Murray.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
SEA has Lynch, Turbin and Michael
SF just drafted Carlos Hyde
IND has to pay TRich 3.1m , I don't see them investing in RB

Right. You don't just sign with winning teams. He'd have to take a discount.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The team is in win now mode so don't see how bringing in a rookie RB is going to help in that department. No the team needs to find a strong, veteran player that can pick up where Murray left off or at least get close to it.

"The Team" is not only in win now mode but it has a "Short Window" mode to consider. The team might consider taking a reduction in pay to free up money to keep key players on board.

Breaking up the cohesiveness of a Top 5 offense is a risky thing at this point considering said window.

Me thinks Jerry is either playing hardball or allowing "Controversey" to be stirred up to keep his brand relevant in the media during its offseason. Jerry is a marketing genius in that regard.

I'm not 100% convinced they want to let Murray go, not yet...

Eddie

Reaction score
If Dallas doesn't reach a deal with Murray, I think they go the cheap route and let Randle, Williams, Dunbar and a mid round draft pick fight it out.

Maybe sign a vet from the list above, but for the minimum

I definitely think this is the way to go. No premium picks on RB, and no mega-bucks contracts.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think we either sign a) MURRAY for a decent price. B) go w Peterson if he comes cheaper. Which he might cuz he openly said he'd want to be a cowboy. Also people fail to realize he was paid last year even w suspension. So money isn't tight considering he got paid 15 million or something close. C) Darren McFadden. Arkansas alum.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Running back, which is a position that is easiest to find a player or players, the market is especially flooded for 2015.

The Cowboys would be making another Barber mistake by paying Murray, especially after his fumble helped us lose that playoff game. That shouldn't be rewarded. His fumbles have often set the tone for our games.

My prediction is a team without a running game will be attracted to Murray, but what they'll find is that they don't have a running game not because their running back isn't any good, but because they don't have an offensive line. It'll be a lot like the Laurent Robinson signing in Jacksonville. You're getting the player not the offense that allowed that player to thrive.

Unlike Robinson though, I believe when Murray signs somewhere next year and his production isn't the same, the league will finally let the ball drop on paying running backs big money.

DeMarco Murray
CJ Spiller - I would love to see someone with his speed and vision behind our line.
Mark Ingram
Frank Gore
Ryan Matthews
Knowshon Moreno
Darren McFadden
Adrian Peterson*
Marshawn Lynch*
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon

Eskimo

Reaction score
I looked at some of the videos out there on this college class and the guy I really like is Jay Ajayi from Boise State. He is a great North-South runner, good vision, some burst but doesn't look like he has an extra gear like AP or Spiller in the open field. I've looked at Coleman and Gordon and I don't think they will be worth where they are drafted compared to Ajayi.

With such a great RB class it'd be a shame not to take a swing at one either at the end of the second or maybe the third round.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My first option is still bringing back Murray on a fair 2-3 deal

That's where I'm at. The team will have plenty of money and its easy to say RB's are cheap to pick up in the draft but there is still risk in any draft pick.

I don't pay much attention to the public statements on either side at this point, its all posturing. The team isn't going to pay Murray 10MM a season but if he tests the market without getting a huge offer, I can definitely see the team bringing back on a deal that is something like 3/18MM with 15 of that guaranteed.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Which might also provide more incentive for Demarco to compromise and stay..

That's part of my point as well.

With Murray you have to subtract our offensive line, the blocking our receivers did, and you have to subtract his fumbles.

The idea that he is going to get a huge pay day... I don't see it, unless some team is really poorly ran. I'd love to see him go to the Giants for 10 million a year.

MikeT22

Reaction score
If Murray is looking for over $6 million, as Fisher's article suggests, then he's gone. I think we'll draft a back on day 2 of the draft (2nd or 3rd) and possibly sign a quality FA for 2-3 years at $2-$3 mill/yr.

Gaede

Reaction score
Hambrick? What does he have to do with this?We didn't know that Murray was the workhorse that he turned out to be until he got the job done. You nor I knows what Randle or Williams can do until giving the opopportunity.

Murray has been proving himself for years. We just didn't run the ball. If we think we can replace Murray with a ragtag bunch comprised of Randle (51 carries in 2014), Dunbar (even less) and Williams (DNP), then we are delusional.

Pointing to Hambrick because we all said the same about him. Well, he looked good replacing Emmitt so he must be able to start! Except that you cannot predict, with any reliability, whether that backup will be able to withstand punishment week in and week out, step up when they are absolutely needed to get half an inch for a critical first down, or come back with confidence after a major mistake

So yeah, going from Murray to that ragtag committee is, in my mind, like going from Emmitt to Hambrick.

We need a workhorse back. If Randle can do it, great. He looked good. I'd like to see him do more. But I am not confident going into a new season with him as our starter. Especially considering our running game is vital to a)balance of our offense b) keeping our d off the field and c)keeping our pass-happy coordinators from going all-shotgun, all the time. It seems incredibly foolish to me to abandon a formula that finally resulted in a strong team. What we had last year worked and we should attempt to replicate it until it stops working. And THE component that makes it all work is a workhorse RB that creates short yardage situations so our pass plays are high percentage and playaction creates big plays.