Running Zeke into the ground?

Cydios

Reaction score
So Zeke did not practice today. Do you think we should increase the rotation between Smith and Zeke? At this pace, he's going retire in 2 years..

windjc

Reaction score
Zeke gets to sub himself out after any play he wants. So I don't think the staff is running him into the ground. He is still training his body to work at the highest optimum level. From here on out his career will depend on body care and maintenance when he is not playing. He doesnt need to practice. Just get his body right each week.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So Zeke did not practice today. Do you think we should increase the rotation between Smith and Zeke? At this pace, he's going retire in 2 years..
No.

Zeke missed 6 games last year.

Played in no playoff games in 2017.

He should be good for another 10 years.

Yes..

Just saw him lift his shirt and I saw the Freshness Date stamped on his belly button.

Fresh until 2028..

Not to worry.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Been saying it in the game day threads - the guys hits and takes big shots, plus the use in the run and pass...

The thing with Emmitt was that he knew when to run out of bounds and you couldn't get a good lick on him - he always just slipped the big hits.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke gets to sub himself out after any play he wants. So I don't think the staff is running him into the ground. He is still training his body to work at the highest optimum level. From here on out his career will depend on body care and maintenance when he is not playing. He doesnt need to practice. Just get his body right each week.
I agree, except the "doesn't need to practice" part. Even if he knows what he's doing, the offense should be practicing with everyone, so they're all on the same page.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Been saying it in the game day threads - the guys hits and takes big shots, plus the use in the run and pass...

The thing with Emmitt was that he knew when to run out of bounds and you couldn't get a good lick on him - he always just slipped the big hits.
What I notice about Zeke....

when he sees the tackler..

he sort of twists his upper body so he gets ' skinny' when the contact comes.

The tacklers do not get a face on flush tackle..

It's sort of a glancing contact and he gets more yards or breaks free.

It's great to be young.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke had a stinger similar to what Tyron had. After that hit when he lowered his helmet.

He missed a few plays and went back on and finished the game.
I am sur it is just for precaution and an extra day of rest.

They did not seem to think it is a big concern.
I think there is an article on the team website about it in tne practice report.

As Lee and Austin are back. Swaim and Irving was out.

mardwin

Reaction score
#1 reason this team is 1st in the division, Zeke has been ridden harder than a camel in the desert. If we beat the Colts we need to limit his touches to 10-20 to make sure he is not worn out and doesn't lose momentum heading into the postseason.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Zeke just started getting involved in the passing game last 5 weeks, a huge reason for our offense and Dak #'s improving besides Amari, Columbo, Suafilo. Most other top 5 backs have been seeing these touches, 20 + on the ground and another 6-7 pass receptions. Last week was inflated with OT

Praxit

Reaction score
..I bet he rests today and part of tomorrow. Friday full participation. I would give Smith more reps in this game.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What worries me is Zeke already has 333 combined runs-receptions and there's still three games to go.

I want him to have a "shelf life" longer than Marion Barber's; for example, so I think the Cowboys need to get Rod Smith a bit more involved in the gameplan. I know the Cowboys' best chance to win is to feed Zeke, but if he "overeats" (so to speak), we may not have him when we really need him.