Running Zeke into the ground?

Alweezy

Reaction score
Zeke is our best player and superstar. Every play he takes off, the next guy up drop off is evident. The Cowboys need to focus on bringing in another quality back. Rod Smith is not the answer.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
And this is kind of my prediction.

I predict Zeke doesn't get another contract from Dallas. He will play out his contract next year and then get franchised for a year and then let go to FA to be replaced by a young back.

He is already visibly slower and is getting worn down to a nub. This style is not conducive to playing well on the 2nd half of a 2nd contract. With how dallas treats rbs...this is the smart play.

We will see how this plays out.
He's got the fifth year

Wood

Reaction score
So Zeke did not practice today. Do you think we should increase the rotation between Smith and Zeke? At this pace, he's going retire in 2 years..

Youtube knows me too well and put San Fran vs Cowboys championship game (1993) as recommendation. It brought back alot of great memories. Its noticeable how similar current Cowboys team is to that 1993 team. They relied heavily on Emmitt running & catching out of back field very similar to how Dallas is using Zeke. I would spot Zeke rest in practice and cut down on usage last 3 games but lets remember Zeke is their ticket to Superbowl if it happens. Check out this video is you have time (you will have to click link to youtube to view it)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They do need to manage his workload more.

Sad thing is, we have. Well. Rod Smith.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
That's the nature of the RB position. Use 'em up and spit 'em out. 1 contract, maybe 1-1/2, and that's it.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Ok...still...not getting a second contract.
I'm not sure honestly. I think he'll definitely be here for at least a year even if it's on the tag. Do wish they could find another back to spell him. Maybe Tavon can steal a couple of snaps there

Cmac

Reaction score
The moment Zeke gets nicked......he'll hear the critics.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Not here if Dak gets a big contract.
Call me crazy But I honestly think we end up Keeping Dak and Cooper while giving Zeke the boot.
And this is kind of my prediction.

I predict Zeke doesn't get another contract from Dallas. He will play out his contract next year and then get franchised for a year and then let go to FA to be replaced by a young back.

He is already visibly slower and is getting worn down to a nub. This style is not conducive to playing well on the 2nd half of a 2nd contract. With how dallas treats rbs...this is the smart play.

We will see how this plays out.

Zeke still has speed, he's just been dealing with a nagging knee injuries for weeks now.

Reactions: Ken

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Zeke is not going to have a long career. 8 years in his prime max and that may be gracious. You cant have your cake and eat it to. We as fans have to realize that. Zeke has been playing hurt for weeks. Increasing the rotation is not going to be beneficial to Zeke's personal goals of playoffs, rushing titles, championships ect. His shelf life is short and that is just the way it is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Youtube knows me too well and put San Fran vs Cowboys championship game (1993) as recommendation. It brought back alot of great memories. Its noticeable how similar current Cowboys team is to that 1993 team. They relied heavily on Emmitt running & catching out of back field very similar to how Dallas is using Zeke. I would spot Zeke rest in practice and cut down on usage last 3 games but lets remember Zeke is their ticket to Superbowl if it happens. Check out this video is you have time (you will have to click link to youtube to view it)

You should post that game in a new thread and then we can comment on it like we do the game day threads. :laugh:

John813

Reaction score
Keep running him. He's right next to Cooper in importance to this offense.
If it means a shorter career, so be it. Or he could be a genetic freak and still be playing well nearing his 30's.

One RB I like is Devin Singletary in the 19 draft. Seen him play live, and I think he can at first be a very good backup that can grow into a starter.
5'9-200lb. Plays for FAU, so will drop in the draft but he is a talented player.

Hopefully Zeke can play productive ball for a long time like another #21 who is still a productive RB at the age of 35- Frank Gore.

That dude could probably play till he's 40. I really hope he keeps on playing.

Been watching him this year in Miami, he still has it. Slowed down since his 49er days, but can still reel off 8-12 yard runs behind a bad offensive line.

Gase reminds me of this team in 12-13.
Run game going well? Abandon it for no reason.
Gore had 12 carries for 92 yards versus the Pats.
101 yards on 15 carries versus the Bears.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So Zeke did not practice today. Do you think we should increase the rotation between Smith and Zeke? At this pace, he's going retire in 2 years..
he had heavy work load last game and I think they said he had a stinger, probably from the hit on the sideline that took him out of the game for a couple of plays.... so they are resting him...late in the season. its normal.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Don't forget his knee issues
Yah, I was just referring to the treatment he was getting during the game. I don't think he was doing concussion symptoms, or they would have been doing some other things. Maybe they did the concussion protocol in the tent. But he did go back into the game

X550i

Reaction score
It's funny to hear some of these responses, and then fans want players to give home team discounts during contract negotiations.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
I wish we had a big brushing back to spell Zeke.....

Zeke beats them up than bring in a thumper to spell him, that would kill their spirit..lol

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Call me crazy But I honestly think we end up Keeping Dak and Cooper while giving Zeke the boot.

Zeke still has speed, he's just been dealing with a nagging knee injuries for weeks now.
It's not crazy at all. We gotta pay D.Law, because our defense is what makes the team right now. We are going to pay cooper, because it wouldn't make sense to trade a #1 draft pick for him if you are not going to pay him. Jones seems to be a homer for Dak. So by the time we get to our best player, all the money is gone.