Running Zeke into the ground?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So Zeke did not practice today. Do you think we should increase the rotation between Smith and Zeke? At this pace, he's going retire in 2 years..

Cut Lenoir. Bring up Jackson. Let Jackson take some of the load.

But the best way to reduce Zeke's load is to run other guys with Zeke on the field. Dak. Austin. Olawale. We're a running team. Use Zeke as a decoy for other guys to run. Those plays will help Zeke's runs too.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Todd Gurley is sitting at 291 touches, or about 22.3 a game. Saquon Barkley has 287 touches, or 22.0 a game. Zeke's 25.6 touches per game is higher than both of them, but not completely out of line. Part of that's just being a feature back. If we started limiting Zeke's touches, people would complain about how we're not utilizing our top 5 pick.

It's going to be interesting to see how Zeke ages, though. On one hand, he gets giant workloads and has a contact-hungry running style, on the other hand, he's been remarkably durable so far and his game's mostly built around vision and power, which is going to work a lot better at say 28 than just straight-line speed. I think if he takes care of his body, he'll be productive for a long time, even with these hard-hitting workloads in his youth. Not necessarily Emmitt Smith / Brett Favre / Jerry Rice kind of long time, cause players with that kind of durability are just once-a-generation type genetic freaks at their positions, but I could see him being a feature back till his late 20s. He could even stick around as a passing-down back for longer than that because of how good his blocking and hands are.

But that being said, it's up to Zeke to take care of himself. The end can come quick for players who rely on their natural athleticism and don't keep themselves in shape, and from what I've seen from Zeke, he often doesn't start the season in shape. That's honestly my biggest worry about him.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
What I notice about Zeke....

when he sees the tackler..

he sort of twists his upper body so he gets ' skinny' when the contact comes.

The tacklers do not get a face on flush tackle..

It's sort of a glancing contact and he gets more yards or breaks free.

It's great to be young.
Yes he does slip a lot of tackles but the last 2 games I noticed, he was taking some shots - especially in that NO game.

To be honest I'm a little concerned about his longevity.

Flamma

Reaction score
So Zeke did not practice today. Do you think we should increase the rotation between Smith and Zeke? At this pace, he's going retire in 2 years..

No. Go look at Emmitt Smith's carries his first three years. This will be the first year Zeke will go over 300 carries. Most likely.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Didnt you notice Elliot take himself out of the game after he lowered his helmet on the play he got flagged for? Sure he's sore and was probably got his bell rung pretty good. Usually need the week to get your head right. Wouldnt doubt it if he got a little concussion on that play.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If Dak stays as our starting QB for another 2 years Zeke is toast.......the body can only take so much pounding ....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Absolutely we should be getting Zeke prepared for the playoffs.

Less carries until then.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
No.

Zeke missed 6 games last year.

Played in no playoff games in 2017.

He should be good for another 10 years.

Yes..

Just saw him lift his shirt and I saw the Freshness Date stamped on his belly button.

Fresh until 2028..

Not to worry.

Good post, but Zeke has PROBABLY 3-4 more high end seasons.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yes we are. It won't matter this year. But that 2nd contract will work out well for Zeke but it will likely not end well for the Cowboys.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
NO rest for this team we all know how they do after a bye or rest. Full speed ahead and nothing else.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Increase the rotation for sure once division is a lock..

We need him in optimal condition for the playoffs!

TheHerd

Reaction score
He looked concussed in the Eagles came on the leading-with-helmet penalty.

I'm almost positive he was concussed.

They are doing standard stinger evaluation on the sidelines, not concussion stuff. When they have you push your arms out and up and such, they're evaluating if your nerves are firing correctly.

Cydios

Reaction score
They are doing standard stinger evaluation on the sidelines, not concussion stuff. When they have you push your arms out and up and such, they're evaluating if your nerves are firing correctly.
Don't forget his knee issues