Rush or Lance

rambo2

Reaction score
Does it really matter who the backup is? If Dak goes down for the season it wouldn't matter they wouldn't be winning the championship. If Dak was out for a couple of games they could win a game or 2 with either Lance or Rush. I would be fine with letting Lance play. That could work for a couple of games and get him some experience. They would run the ball a lot more with Lance at qb and control the clock.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lance. They need to see what he can do with the starters against other teams starters. With game plans and team tendacies.
Also depends what part of the season. If in the playoff hunt, who would they trust more.

This is where it is important to get Trey some snaps early in the season. Have a few designed packages for him. Take advantage of his athletic ability.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Lance. They need to see what he can do with the starters against other teams starters. With game plans and team tendacies.
Also depends what part of the season. If in the playoff hunt, who would they trust more.

This is where it is important to get Trey some snaps early in the season. Have a few designed packages for him. Take advantage of his athletic ability.
Trey then with an early hook?

rambo2

Reaction score

I could see them getting around 300 yards rushing between Lance and the running backs.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it really matter who the backup is? If Dak goes down for the season it wouldn't matter they wouldn't be winning the championship. If Dak was out for a couple of games they could win a game or 2 with either Lance or Rush. I would be fine with letting Lance play. That could work for a couple of games and get him some experience. They would run the ball a lot more with Lance at qb and control the clock.
Didn't we say that when dak broke his ankle? "Tank now!" Many said.

We didn't fail in that playoff because of our backup qb.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
They won't win a championship with Dak either.

But if he's out they're still better than a few other teams out there. I remember Dak fans stating the season was over when he went down two years ago. Then came Rush and they stayed right in the contest.

Post season results would be the same, one and out. And we'd have a few regular season wins less with Rush.

But, since Lance needs more practice I'd go with him even though at this point he's worse than Rush.

So my choice would be Lance despite a lot of probable losses. Simply because I'd like to see him in a couple of games with the starters.

starfan1

Reaction score
If I had my choice of back up Id go with Lance over noodle arm. He gives you more to defend but if its gonna be more than a game or 2 we in trouble regardless

rambo2

Reaction score
They won't win a championship with Dak either.

But if he's out they're still better than a few other teams out there. I remember Dak fans stating the season was over when he went down two years ago. Then came Rush and they stayed right in the contest.

Post season results would be the same, one and out. And we'd have a few regular season wins less with Rush.

But, since Lance needs more practice I'd go with him even though at this point he's worse than Rush.

So Lance despite a lot of probable losses.
1st sentence made me lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For a couple of games give me Rush. If its for the season go ahead and let Lance get out there so he can suck. We get a top pick and the experiment will officially be over when he shows how bad he is.

I think Rush is capable of leaning on the defense to win if they play well this year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
is this a rhetorical question? There is a reason Lance basically played 3 full games in preseason, and he got a d grade at best.
The Cowboys got what they needed out of this preseason.... and what they got is a clear number 2 in Rush. There is no competition between the 2 for the back up spot.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree .......if we lose Dak for the season our chances of the postseason are probably done. Might as well see what Lance can do in a real starting role or even for a couple of games. In other words, Rush has no place on the team if you are keeping Lance.

rambo2

Reaction score
For a couple of games give me Rush. If its for the season go ahead and let Lance get out there so he can suck. We get a top pick and the experiment will officially be over when he shows how bad he is.

I think Rush is capable of leaning on the defense to win if they play well this year.
They might surprise you with Lance. These coaches are capable of winning a few games with the Lance offense and coach him up as he gains experience.

rambo2

Reaction score
is this a rhetorical question? There is a reason Lance basically played 3 full games in preseason, and he got a d grade at best.
The Cowboys got what they needed out of this preseason.... and what they got is a clear number 2 in Rush. There is no competition between the 2 for the back up spot.
There is also a reason to play him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m going with Cooper Rush and so will the team because he’s 5-1 as a starter and they have faith in him. He helped keep our season afloat in 2022. Lance was given every opportunity to take the backup job and he didn’t do it. Some of you continue to want to go with him even though he hasn’t looked good. I don’t need to see a debacle during the regular season to realize he’s not the answer. I saw enough in preseason to know that.

JBS

Reaction score

And you somehow think this is relevant should Dak get injured for the entire season? Bc it’s not

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I still think the main issue with having Lance as your backup is that if he has to go into the game you're likely calling a much different game, probably with a lot of RPOs and designed QB runs. For the sake of the 10 other guys not having to adjust a game plan so radically on the fly like that you might want Rush as the #2 as he will plug right into the same offense you've practiced all week, although in an abbreviated form.

I do agree though that if Dak were out an extended period of time Lance might be the way to go.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Cooper is something like 5-1 as a starter. He isn't going to go out there and throw 5 interceptions. If Dak goes down for a few games, do you want to lose them all just to see how a soon to be unrestricted free agent does?