Rush or Lance

leeblair

Reaction score
Does it really matter who the backup is? If Dak goes down for the season it wouldn't matter they wouldn't be winning the championship. If Dak was out for a couple of games they could win a game or 2 with either Lance or Rush. I would be fine with letting Lance play. That could work for a couple of games and get him some experience. They would run the ball a lot more with Lance at qb and control the clock.
I vote for Trey Lance to be the starter, with Rush as the backup.

Retro88

Reaction score
I'd keep Lance and have Rush on the PS if we're not keeping both. There's no point of keeping Rush imo. If Dak gets hurt we're talking about less than 1 game before you'd bring Rush back anyway.

blueblood70

Reaction score
For a couple of games give me Rush. If its for the season go ahead and let Lance get out there so he can suck. We get a top pick and the experiment will officially be over when he shows how bad he is.

I think Rush is capable of leaning on the defense to win if they play well this year.
This is why you have to keep all three there is no choice isn't there a rule in the NFL where you can protect your quarterback or a group of people on the practice squad but you're third emergency quarterback who's already paid in Trey Lance can sit on the practice squad and every week be called up as the third emergency guy who doesn't take a spot on the active roster nor is he taking his spot on the other roster because he's on the practice squad I mean I don't know their details but there's no reason to not carry all three quarterbacks right now they're already paid. And you're right if there's like a major injury to Prescott you'd probably wanna just roll with the guy who's gonna lose you the most games but also benefit by playing the live games and that would be Trey Lance but I don't think they're gonna pick the roster like that I think all three make it and you could just keep putting Trey Lance on the practice squad and protect him and then bring him up as the 3rd until further notice this is not a big decision because they changed the rules because of that San Francisco issue and you can protect your third emergency quarterback without affecting your roster other than the salary cap.

Well that just got messed up because I just got a Bleacher Report notification that says the NFLPA vetoes quarterback rule change that the emergency quarterback must be on the 53 man roster so because you can not have unlimited practice squat elevations, that rule was vetoed.. Well now then maybe they do need to make a choice I don't know.. That's a tough choice you can't pick by one for a couple games and one for a season so which ones costing you more money I mean if lance's money's guaranteed might have to make a tough decision there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Dak is done for the season. Rush is not the guy. You see what Lance has. That was why he was brought in for.
I agree but I think we know what Lance has. He's shown us for the last 4 years. Maybe the game slows down for him. Maybe he starts reading defenses better but i'm not sure if that's something that just comes to you. I think it happens gradually over time.

I think Cowboys will feel pressure to go with a veteran especially since Rush has quarterbacked them to a 4-1 record. I see no scenario where Lance starts unless Rush gets hurt.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because Jerry is the kind of guy that would NEVER let money be an issue if he really believed in Lance......the megalomaniac narcissist in him wouldn't allow it
Yeah and plus I don't think Lance would break the bank. I argued with people he could get 20 million or so here a year......yeah I was wrong there.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Dak is done for the season. Rush is not the guy. You see what Lance has. That was why he was brought in for.
Do you think Mike McCarthy tipped his hand a little bit saying he wished there was more preseason games so he could see more of Lance and that Lance would have a future in this league that might be him saying he wants him on this team...

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Cooper Rush's value will never be higher than now. He should hold out and demand they re-do his contract.
Did you just suggest that if the situation arises Rush should charge into Jerry's office and demand a re-do on his contract? Jerry is so senile he would look at him and say.." And you are who, son?"

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If Dak were to go down early you have to run with Rush because Trey isn't ready yet. If things fall further South with Rush you give it a few weeks and ride it out with Trey for good or bad. If Dak is unsigned then you will know if Trey has a career in Dallas in lieu of how he performs

HungryLion

Reaction score
They should keep Lance.

We know what Rush is. We don’t know what Lance will ultimately become.

The cowboys aren’t winning a Super Bowl this season anyway even if Dak plays every game.

So it doesn’t matter.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Since Lance is making the roster, it only makes sense to be the #2 who should come in for mop up duty to gain more game reps. It does him no good to be the emergency QB all season. If Dallas won’t get him more snaps, then I’m not sure why he is even on the team. I think Dallas can stash Rush on the PS and be the emergency QB who can be elevated to #2 if need be later.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Since Lance is making the roster, it only makes sense to be the #2 who should come in for mop up duty to gain more game reps. It does him no good to be the emergency QB all season. If Dallas won’t get him more snaps, then I’m not sure why he is even on the team. I think Dallas can stash Rush on the PS and be the emergency QB who can be elevated to #2 if need be later.
Yeah, but he is better than half the league according to one person on here, so we would risk losing him to Tampa or somebody

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm guessing the same people who think Lance shouldn't get any playing time are the same people who will blame Jerry for not being prepared when #4 is no longer here.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Does it really matter who the backup is? If Dak goes down for the season it wouldn't matter they wouldn't be winning the championship. If Dak was out for a couple of games they could win a game or 2 with either Lance or Rush. I would be fine with letting Lance play. That could work for a couple of games and get him some experience. They would run the ball a lot more with Lance at qb and control the clock.
Depends on what you're looking for. Do you mean backup for this year? Or for a future starter? Backup for the next few years?

For me it's clearly Rush if you're talking this year. No, he's probably like Dak, not good enough to win a SB, but it's hard to argue against a 5-1 record, with time with the existing receivers and knowing the game plans.

Future backup? Lance, just due to age and running ability if nothing else.

Future starter? If so, then there's no way to find that out without Lance playing quite of few more real games. Which would require sitting Dak, or letting Dak leave after this season and suffering through at least 1 year of growing pains. Which I don't think Jerry, at age 81, is willing to do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think Mike McCarthy tipped his hand a little bit saying he wished there was more preseason games so he could see more of Lance and that Lance would have a future in this league that might be him saying he wants him on this team...
I am thinking that is typical coach speak.