Russell Wilson 4 yr extension $140 million

817Gill

Reaction score
10-20 is a replaceable player.

Not a guy you give 30 mill a year too. Well.. I guess dumb teams with no championship aspiration would do it because teams with truly elite QB or QB's on rookie deals are what win championships. Not mediocre QB's making obnoxious salaries.
Lmao your first line makes your argument irrelevant lol. How is every qb outside the top 10 replaceable, even though there’s maybe only 30-32 guys in the world who can do the job? How’s the math on that work? You replace the 14th most capable guy with the 12th lol? C’mon man this is QB not tailback.

superonyx

Reaction score
Dak is not a 30 million dollar player. That is the problem.

The smart move is draft a QB. If he plays like a top 5 QB then pay him top 5 money.

Dak is somewhere between 10-20 and he's about to get paid like he's top 5. It's stupid.
Who are you drafting? With what draft pick?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who are you drafting? With what draft pick?

Next year.

Dak still has another year left.

No point of paying Dak now because his contract will be about the same today as it will be a year from now.

Next year's crop of QB's look pretty good and at the very least could give us 4 or 5 years of game manager like Dak did or we may actually hit on a elite guy with actual upside to be one of the best instead of being stuck paying mediocrity in Dak.

erod

Reaction score
Well they do. Fans do think Dak is a winner. Needing talent around you to win in the NFL is not some unusual scenario. Dak doesn't make it look pretty but when the games are on the line he does what is needed to put the team on his back and win.

Too many fans over value our team talent level and get caught up under valuing the talent of other teams. Fans watch a NFL broadcast and hear Chris Collingsworth and Joe Buck ball riding other QB's and this makes them falsely assume everyone else on the other teams are garbage players.

Which QB's not named Brady are winning so many games without talent around them?

Rodgers did it for years. Wilson took a terrible and injured team to the playoffs last year. Brees had to outplay his defense for a decade. Peyton did it in Indy. Rivers carried that carnival for years. We saw it here with Romo trying to pull wins out of a dumpster fire.

I'll put it this way. Third-and-10 is a 50/50 proposition for truly elite quarterbacks. It's Mount Everest for our guy.

superonyx

Reaction score
Next year.

Dak still has another year left.

No point of paying Dak now because his contract will be about the same today as it will be a year from now.

Next year's crop of QB's look pretty good and at the very least could give us 4 or 5 years of game manager like Dak did or we may actually hit on a elite guy with actual upside to be one of the best instead of being stuck paying mediocrity in Dak.
Look back at the last 10 years of first round pick QB's. Its pretty scary.

And lets be real. We are a playoff team again this coming year so we will be drafting late in the first. Moving up to the top 1-3 where the elite QB's are drafted would cost us our next several years worth of first round picks. Productive rookies are the way to win in the salary cap era so giving up multiple draft picks can sink you for years to come.

superonyx

Reaction score
Rodgers did it for years. Wilson took a terrible and injured team to the playoffs last year. Brees had to outplay his defense for a decade. Peyton did it in Indy. Rivers carried that carnival for years. We saw it here with Romo trying to pull wins out of a dumpster fire.

I'll put it this way. Third-and-10 is a 50/50 proposition for truly elite quarterbacks. It's Mount Everest for our guy.
So we need to find Rodgers, Brady, Brees or Peyton Manning now.

That should be too hard. We do have that late 2nd round pick this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess I realize that a solid starting QB in the NFL is always going to be your biggest cap hit.

Joe Flacco- $22M
Matt Ryan - $30M
Stafford - $27M
Cousins - $28M
Jimmy G- $27.5M
Carr - $25M
Luck - $25M
Alex Smith - $23M
Foles- $22M
Andy Dalton - $16M

I would take Dak over most of these guys and if age is factored in I take him over Ryan also.

The position just pays so much. So unless we have some magical way to steal Tua or another blue chip QB we will be needing to replace Dak with someone and these numbers are what it cost.

And what does that list tell you?

That locking up an average QB to a big contract does not guarantee any significant success. Dak may be better than most on that list but not significantly better. He's not Patrick Mahomes, for example.

Only two QBs on that list have a SB. And when one, Foles, won that SB in 2017, his cap number that year was only $1.6MM and it only went to $13.6MM in 2018. So sure, if you could get me Dak Prescott at a contract where his cap number is around $14-15MM per year, awesome. Sign me up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Look back at the last 10 years of first round pick QB's. Its pretty scary.

And lets be real. We are a playoff team again this coming year so we will be drafting late in the first. Moving up to the top 1-3 where the elite QB's are drafted would cost us our next several years worth of first round picks. Productive rookies are the way to win in the salary cap era so giving up multiple draft picks can sink you for years to come.

I actually don't mind the odds of drafting a QB these days.

It's easier then ever to get a good QB in the first round. They're more prepared then ever before.

All we need is someone to produce at Dak's level for a few million dollars instead of 30.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Even if Dak signs for 5/150m that is still added to his 2m salary this year making it 6/152m or 25m a year

More likely he gets 5/140 for a total of 6/142m with 90m gtd staggered over 3 seasons

superonyx

Reaction score
And what does that list tell you?

That locking up an average QB to a big contract does not guarantee any significant success. Dak may be better than most on that list but not significantly better. He's not Patrick Mahomes, for example.

Only two QBs on that list have a SB. And when one, Foles, won that SB in 2017, his cap number that year was only $1.6MM and it only went to $13.6MM in 2018. So sure, if you could get me Dak Prescott at a contract where his cap number is around $14-15MM per year, awesome. Sign me up.
And if you could get me some Patrick Mahommes or Tom Brady on a rookie contract...heck on any contract... then sign me up.
Thats just not how it works.

Is it fair to summarize your feelings as saying that you don't believe any QB who isnt MVP Elite level should be dumped once the rookie contract is up? So outside of Brees, Brady, Mahommes and Rodgers they need to hit the bricks once the rookie deal is up?