Russia invades Ukraine *** READ RULES IN POST 6 BEFORE POSTING ***

JJHLH1

Reaction score
First report of Russians using chemical weapons in Ukraine.

If true it’s an indication that the reports of massive Russian losses are accurate. It’s certainly a sign of desperation.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Russian losses in Ukraine are historically enormous. This thread puts them in perspective.

60,000 killed or wounded. 30% of the original invasion force.

“According to the US briefing today about 40 out of 130 BTGs have been so thoroughly wrecked that they are not functional and have been withdrawn entirely. This loss rate of approx 30% seems to be mirrored in overall Russian casualties (maybe an underestimate)”

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I remember when I was in Basic at Fort Bliss in El Paso.
That installation was for the 56th ada Air Defense and we would occasionally see soldiers from different countries training there.

Have to wonder if they will be getting an influx of Ukranian soldiers as of late.
They're already dealing with another nation's problems of the same ilk.
No plans to add Ukrainians as of yet, but we do have the propensity to add more than we can chew.

And, because I've made the drive across the base many, many times:
You do them sprints along the highway with full pack?
Made me glad I was Coast Guard.
Shot by narcos? Alright. Bit by a shark? Make it quick jerk.
Run into oblivion into that (thankfully dry) desert heat in full gear up all those inclines and zero shade?

No.
I'll take bullets, riptides and underwater predators with some fresh-caught seafood at the end of the day.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
First report of Russians using chemical weapons in Ukraine.

If true it’s an indication that the reports of massive Russian losses are accurate. It’s certainly a sign of desperation.

Did I miss this in the news? This is the first time I'm reading something like this. Is it verified?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Did I miss this in the news? This is the first time I'm reading something like this. Is it verified?

I saw it mentioned on Fox News this morning.

The problem is that there are no journalists or anybody in Mariupol who can confirm anything, for or against, since the city has been completely destroyed.

Fox News posted the following tweet on their website.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a not so long past visiting Russia was one of my bucket list things. Now, I loath them. I watch some YouTube videos where Russian people are interviewed about the Ukraine invasion and they are so delusional as to think it's all Ukraine's fault that forced Russia to invade to protect everyone from **** influence.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a not so long past visiting Russia was one of my bucket list things. Now, I loath them. I watch some YouTube videos where Russian people are interviewed about the Ukraine invasion and they are so delusional as to think it's all Ukraine's fault that forced Russia to invade to protect everyone from **** influence.
To be fair, what else are they supposed to say? Putin has created laws where anyone blaming Russia will be arrested.

There have been posts made in this thread about that.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, what else are they supposed to say? Putin has created laws where anyone blaming Russia will be arrested.

There have been posts made in this thread about that.
I agree, but there have been interviews were you can tell the people want to say more, but couldn't, and there are others that you can tell they firmly believe Russia is doing the correct thing.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but there have been interviews were you can tell the people want to say more, but couldn't, and there are others that you can tell they firmly believe Russia is doing the correct thing.
True, but if they are only getting their news from state-controlled media, it is not surprising they believe that.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
True, but if they are only getting their news from state-controlled media, it is not surprising they believe that.

I’m conflicted about the Russian people. Historically, they are a great People in terms of Arts and courage and tenacity. And they can be excused - somewhat - for believing what they do because they are only fed twisted State propaganda. But without doubt they know what’s going on in their own society: no free speech, no real voting, being put in jail for just voicing an opinion, people trying to speak the truth poisoned or jailed or murdered. They know what their government is doing to them and they suffer under a repressive regime. When do they rise as a People and say enough of this and we’re not gonna take it anymore. Some of us will die, so be it. It’s apparently the cost of freedom. Other Peoples have done it throughout history. Without Putin, like Hitler, the world and their country would be a much better place. I have some sympathy for them but some frustration too.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Russia's Black Sea Flagship Abandoned After Ukraine Claims Missile Strike Sank It (msn.com)

YIV, Ukraine—The flagship of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, the missile cruiser Moskva, was seriously damaged and abandoned by its crew after its ammunition blew up, Russia’s Defense Ministry said. Ukrainian officials and a person close to Russia’s Defense Ministry said Ukraine hit the warship with cruise missiles and sank it.
From the article ..

“It’s a hugely important military event and the biggest defeat of the Russian Navy since World War II,” Ukraine’s presidential adviser Oleksiy Arestovych wrote on social media. The alleged sinking of the cruiser, he added, is particularly important because Moskva is Russian for Moscow, and because it would be the biggest warship by tonnage sunk since 1945.

Made me think of ..

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool superpower than to speak attack and to remove create all doubt.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Russia's Black Sea Flagship Abandoned After Ukraine Claims Missile Strike Sank It (msn.com)

YIV, Ukraine—The flagship of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, the missile cruiser Moskva, was seriously damaged and abandoned by its crew after its ammunition blew up, Russia’s Defense Ministry said. Ukrainian officials and a person close to Russia’s Defense Ministry said Ukraine hit the warship with cruise missiles and sank it.

I seen where the kremlin, or the like, were trying to spin it that they just had a fire break out and that was why the sailors/crew abandoned the ship.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As has already been pointed out, this is great news.

Supposedly it has sunk.

Still some contradictions as far as the numbers lost.

Some reports (Russian based) say the entire crew managed to escape.

Other reports say only about 10% of the 500 person crew escaped.

When a ship's magazine blows up like that's going to take many lives (just like what happened to the USS Arizona).

To me the escape of the entire crew seems implausible.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Supposedly it has sunk.

Still some contradictions as far as the numbers lost.

Some reports (Russian based) say the entire crew managed to escape.

Other reports say only about 10% of the 500 person crew escaped.

When a ship's magazine blows up like that's going to take many lives (just like what happened to the USS Arizona).

To me the escape of the entire crew seems implausible.
It was not sunk The kremlin promoted it to Submarine status.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Look at this guy. He just had 50 homes seized. 50 homes? This guy looks like he doesn't have anything to his name.

62589f406e3336001926c33c

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

My wife has a Russian friend that lives here (California ) but her folks are in Russia. She said it’s frustrating to talk to them because they are so programmed by the state media. They think Ukraine started this.