Russia invades Ukraine *** READ RULES IN POST 6 BEFORE POSTING ***

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This $@*$ is going to get out of control. Putin is a scared cornered beaten dog.

Give him an out route just like you would a scared hostile animal.

Or play poker, and hope that someone overthrows Putin AND that it’s a more rational democratic government, which appears unlikely.

nobody

Reaction score
This $@*$ is going to get out of control. Putin is a scared cornered beaten dog.

Give him an out route just like you would a scared hostile animal.

Or play poker, and hope that someone overthrows Putin AND that it’s a more rational democratic government, which appears unlikely.

If they haven't overthrown him by now, they're unlikely to.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
781679-A5-D668-4-CAD-A6-B9-3-A799604-CC0-D.jpg

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some years ago while traveling in Russia, I stumbled across a coffee table book containing reproduced posters from WWII. It is really beautifully done and, similar to posters seen in the US at the time, the posters represented the war as a great patriotic endeaver; a rally cry for sacrifice, unity.

With the war in Ukraine, there are similar posters circulating in Russia today. These now seem out of place and out of time.

Ukraine, on the other hand has made masterful use of social media, meme, etc. Ukraine has won the propaganda war... hands down

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My wife had a long conversation with one of her girlfriends that still lives in Russia.

Her friend's son has completed two 3 month tours in Ukraine with a three month gap between the two in-country tours. He has been advised that the current "time-off" is reduced to 1 month before returning. Apparently, this is more the norm now.

The other interesting tidbit from the conversation is that rank-and-file military are openly questioning their Ukraine "mission" and, in some limited cases, refusing to engage Ukrainian forces

I haven't seen this reported elsewhere, so take with a grain of salt. One other point I find interesting, some in the Russian media have started referring to the Ukraine war as this generation's Afghanistan. Ouch!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honest question
Is Ukraine the most corrupt country in all of Europe?
I know the are in the conversation, but not sure if they get the prize.
There are a number of measures used by the IMF and the Corruption Perception Index to rank corruption. The CPI has ranked Ukraine in the range of 130-145 out of 180 countries. So, certainly not the worst but in the bottom quarter.

All I know is the multi-national I worked for before retiring pulled out of Ukraine and corruption was a key issue. By way of comparison, we operated throughout west Africa, South America and Russia.

nobody

Reaction score
Honest question
Is Ukraine the most corrupt country in all of Europe?
I know the are in the conversation, but not sure if they get the prize.

What does that have to do with the conflict though? An even more corrupt country invaded them. Did they have the right because Ukraine was corrupt? What country isn't corrupt? As far as I can tell there's corruption in every single one, it just varies by degree.

Given the reasons Russia stated for invasion and the things Russia has done before then, they're far more corrupt than Ukraine.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There are a number of measures used by the IMF and the Corruption Perception Index to rank corruption. The CPI has ranked Ukraine in the range of 130-145 out of 180 countries. So, certainly not the worst but in the bottom quarter.

All I know is the multi-national I worked for before retiring pulled out of Ukraine and corruption was a key issue. By way of comparison, we operated throughout west Africa, South America and Russia.
Thanks
So, I was referring to Europe. Does that make them the worst in Europe?
Has to be very close
I know there are worse around the world.
They are unbelievably crooked and corrupt.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks
Has to be very close
Not sure where they would rank relative to the rest of greater Europe, but probably near the bottom of the list.

"Corruption" runs the gamet from, "here's our 'preferred' list of contractors to hire" to "approval of your permit to operate will be granted when payment is made to the following offshore account" to you name it.

Interestingly enough subtle and, not so subtle, forms of coercion and corruption are more the business norm, than the exception. Not surprisingly, the US is not regarded as one of the more virtuous countries to do business.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Thanks
Has to be very close
So you’re rooting for Russia? Speaking of being corrupt.