Saddest movie death

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
tomson75;3983394 said:
Holy crap...that brings me back. So many good cheesy movies made in the 80's.

I LOVED the never ending story. I named my dog Falcor after this movie!

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
gladiator

the scene where he sees his family dead.

and when he dies.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Tom Hanks - Philadelphia
John Coffey - The Green Mile
King Kong

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Dead+Poets+Society+-+Robert+Sean+Leonard.jpg

Neil Perry's suicide in Dead Poet's Society.

tecolote

Reaction score
Mick in Rocky III
Ms. Gump
Maximus' family in Gladiator
the Patriot (the 2 sons and the bride of the second son)

Edit. A little late in some of them.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
DallasEast;3983322 said:
[Disclaimer: Please do NOT run with my first choice as an excuse for religious discussion under any circumstances!!!]

James Caviezel, The Passion Of The ******
Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Irrhan Khan, The Namesake
Christopher Reeve, Somewhere In Time

Does being already dead count?

Patrick Swayze, Ghost

[EDIT] The poor lynching victim in The Great Debaters
Jude Law, Cold Mountain

Anyone already say John Wayne? The Cowboys

The Passion of the ****** was very heart-wrentching and painful to watch.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
All the poor souls who died at the hands of Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers and Jason from Friday the 13th..

Eskimo

Reaction score
Many of you may not have heard of this movie. It is an animated feature from Japan circa 1998. It is called the "Grave of the Fireflies" and it centers around an orphan brother and sister in post-world war II japan who are kicked out of their aunt's place and try to fend for themselves. In the end the younger sister dies of starvation and the brother lives with the guilt of not having been able to take care of his sister. Truly one of the saddest things I have ever seen, especially considering the story was basically biographical.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Not necessarily Bruce Willis's death in Armageddon, but when the pilot of the shuttle says,

"Lt Colonel Willie Sharp ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I ever knew."

There weren't many dry eyes coming out of the theatre that afternoon.

Most of the others off the top of my list have already been mentioned.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Adam Goldberg in Saving Private Ryan was awful

And for some reason when Tracy, Ralphies pregnant hooker girlfriend, got killed on the Sopranos it botherd me

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan has several death scenes that have choke up potential. I think the one that gets me the most is when Giovanni Ribisi (the medic) gets hit trying to take that bunker...

"Mama...I wanna go home. I wanna go home Momma. I wanna go home"

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
Two that come to mind are the Bruce Willis/Armageddon one that's mentioned plenty of times in this thread, and Clint Eastwood/Gran Torino.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
bbgun;3983236 said:
Plenty of good choices, but I'll start with just four:

1) Leonard Nimoy - Wrath of Khan
2. Debra Winger - Terms of Endearment
3) Viggo Mortensen - The Road
4) Bambi's mother - Bambi

Old Yeller

Bambi's mom I was thinking dinner when that happened

In fact I am surprised you said Bami's mom and not the yearling

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Clooney going down with the ship (boat?) in A Perfect Storm.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
tomson75;3983509 said:
Saving Private Ryan has several death scenes that have choke up potential. I think the one that gets me the most is when Giovanni Ribisi (the medic) gets hit trying to take that bunker...

Saw that last week.

That was something that might sound cliche on paper but that kid is such a good actor he really made you feel what a soldier would be feeling in that scenario.

Spoiler alert

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Leon - The Professional (1994)

***Armageddon was a tear jerker? Really? I thought that movie was terrible. It was not believable.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
tomson75;3983509 said:

The scene that gets me is Mrs. Ryan doing her dishes, looks up, sees the staff car, and freezes. You get to see the realization within her that the car is coming to tell her one of her sons is dead but as the viewer you know she's going to be hit with so much more. When she collapses on the porch, it stirs up a ton of dust in my living room.

My grandmother told me about that car and when it drove down the street in their neighborhood. For the women who weren't working and were outside, they'd hold their breath until it passed. Those on the other side of the street coming back up the cul de sac had to wait all the longer.

She said it was a bittersweet moment when it did pass. Your husband was still alive, but a neighbor was never going to come home to his family. This past Memorial Day she rejoined her husband, PFC Elmond Bornemann.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
CoCo;3983238 said:
What could be more painful than Old Yeller? :cry2:

zrinkill;3983243 said:
Hooch

http://t0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRcxJ98mfgy0QvAvNXK0vHuky1QzF7chNEBlXopTQ0uBHUr0D_AA

tomson75;3983279 said:
There are bound to be many good ones in this thread, but for me the worst ones are always the deaths of dogs. I'm a sucker for that crap....My wife has seen me cry twice.....when my grandmother died, and when Marley died in "Marley and Me".

Saving Private Ryan is up there....

I'm a sucker for the dogs too. Another one that comes to mind is "the Biscuit Eater". Most of you won't know it because it was made in 1940, I think.

I will add that anytime John Wayne died it a movie is saddened me greatly.