Signed by Cowboys Safety George Iloka signed

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Do we know he's really better than Frazier or do we just assume he is?

Let's just say if Frazier was a free agent he wouldn't be anywhere near the top 50 available lists.
He also will never have a 30 mil contract.
Hell he might not even be on an NFL roster in a few months.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Iloka brings good size, long arms, sound tackling, and he rallies to the ball. In the Vikings highlights, they used him as a box safety (which you can do when you have the second best free safety in the league behind you) very similar to how Richard used Kam Chancellor in Seattle. Bengals used him as a centerfielder, which isn't his strength, but perhaps Marvin Lewis prioritizes sure tackling from his last line of defense.

He's not exceptionally fast but he runs under control which is a welcome change to Heath who plays out of control, running full speed, consistently taking bad angles. Heath may be quicker than Iloka, but his instincts are awful. Iloka also has decent athleticism so you can get creative with your match-up's and coverage schemes.

Again, he's not a world beater but he's an improvement. I'm excited to see how Richard uses him.

I'd still love it if we took a Juan Thornhill or Darnell Savage to put a true athlete (with instincts) at the back end of this defense. Xavier Woods isn't terrible, but he doesn't do enough for me. Our safeties have been allergic to the ball the past decade. Give me guys with the speed to make up ground and actual ball skills.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Iloka brings good size, long arms, sound tackling, and he rallies to the ball. In the Vikings highlights, they used him as a box safety (which you can do when you have the second best free safety in the league behind you) very similar to how Richard used Kam Chancellor in Seattle. Bengals used him as a centerfielder, which isn't his strength, but perhaps Marvin Lewis prioritizes sure tackling from his last line of defense.

He's not exceptionally fast but he runs under control which is a welcome change to Heath who plays out of control, running full speed, consistently taking bad angles. Heath may be quicker than Iloka, but his instincts are awful. Iloka also has decent athleticism so you can get creative with your match-up's and coverage schemes.

Again, he's not a world beater but he's an improvement. I'm excited to see how Richard uses him.

I'd still love it if we took a Juan Thornhill or Darnell Savage to put a true athlete (with instincts) at the back end of this defense. Xavier Woods isn't terrible, but he doesn't do enough for me. Our safeties have been allergic to the ball the past decade. Give me guys with the speed to make up ground and actual ball skills.

Excellent points. I watched some "All 22" footage of Iloka as a Bengal and he's a solid player. Sure tackler, above average in coverage. Gives up some underneath routes but almost never gets beat deep.

Iloka is an upgrade over Heath and a decent stopgap starter until a draft pick is ready. I want the Cowboys to get Thornhill or Savage, too.

morat1959

Reaction score
Wow! Dallas signs back up depth for the SS position and suddenly he is better than what we have. I hope people realize George Iloka would get smoked by Heath in the 40. Come on man this is just a depth signing.
4.66 vs 4.48
I could care less if Heath runs a 4.1. He’s not a football player at S or in ST.

morat1959

Reaction score
the issue I have is, why has it taken over 20 years to apply a permanent fix at safety? Its still not fixed lol...its just been patched. AGAIN. Love the cap friendly deals,,thats good, but at some point depth don't matter one crapola if you don't have that bonafide starter!
It’s a process!

morat1959

Reaction score
What good is speed when you can’t tackle for chit? Heath would come flying in 100 mph, lower his shoulder to blow the guy up, and bounce off. Do you think it was just a fluke he was tops in the league on missed tackles?

Iloka may be slow, but at least he can tackle somebody. He doesn’t just throw a shoulder at the ball carrier and hope for the best, he actually wraps up and drives through the ball carrier like all of us were taught in high school.

As a run support box safety, he is light years better than Heath.
BAM!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
They're not crying about losing him on the Vikings board.

Did not fit the Vikings' defense and only participated in 118 defensive snaps. That's not Iloka's fault, it was Minnesota's fault for bringing in a guy that didn't fit their system.

Iloka was viewed as a steady presence and a leader in Cincinnati. It was his contract that forced them to cut him; otherwise he would still be a Bengal.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
So Heaths 85 tackles dont compare to Iloka. You go better go look at stats! Heath saved the game against the Raiders a couple years ago and he ran down Barkley preventing him from scoring which could of changed the outcome of that game. Yeah speed doesnt matter! George Iloka is Heaths backup!

The stats also reveal Heath missed more tackles than any safety in football last year. He has a place on this football team, and it's as a nickel safety and special teams player. He is not a starting NFL safety. The Cowboys wouldn't have been looking for help if they didn't realize that, too.

Now, I have no illusions of grandeur and realize Iloka is not a star. He never will be. But he's a solid veteran that is a sure tackler. Heath made a few plays; all safeties do, but the bottom line is he's become a liability.

The only way Heath starts at safety again is if he beats out Iloka in camp. I'm sure Heath will get first team reps only out of respect for his previous status. But from what I have seen of Iloka (I had to watch 2017 Bengals plays since the Vikings hardly used him), he is better than Heath.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stats also reveal Heath missed more tackles than any safety in football last year. He has a place on this football team, and it's as a nickel safety and special teams player. He is not a starting NFL safety. The Cowboys wouldn't have been looking for help if they didn't realize that, too.

Now, I have no illusions of grandeur and realize Iloka is not a star. He never will be. But he's a solid veteran that is a sure tackler. Heath made a few plays; all safeties do, but the bottom line is he's become a liability.

The only way Heath starts at safety again is if he beats out Iloka in camp. I'm sure Heath will get first team reps only out of respect for his previous status. But from what I have seen of Iloka (I had to watch 2017 Bengals plays since the Vikings hardly used him), he is better than Heath.

What stats are these? Is it the PFF stuff? Or actual stats?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What stats are these? Is it the PFF stuff? Or actual stats?

In regards to Heath I've read his missed tackle stat on multiple sites. I'm not sure if Football Outsiders or PFF came up with it, but I have seen it on more than one fansite as well as less-biased ones.

It may or may not be right. I am not a Jeff Heath hater, but I like the fact Dallas isn't standing pat at safety. Even to my untrained eye he did not have a good season last year and a little competition never hurts.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Heath should be used primarily on ST's and once in a while plays to give someone a break. He could be a good kick off returner as he has good straight line speed.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So Heaths 85 tackles dont compare to Iloka. You go better go look at stats! Heath saved the game against the Raiders a couple years ago and he ran down Barkley preventing him from scoring which could of changed the outcome of that game. Yeah speed doesnt matter! George Iloka is Heaths backup!
Missed tackles.......go look up that stat bro and see where your boy Heath ranks.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't understand the defense for Heath here. He shouldn't be a starter and the only reason he is for us now is due to the knuckleheads running this team and thinking the safety position is near worthless.

He was awful in 2018, not good, but awful. He had a good play against the Raiders in 2017, good for him, it's time his snaps get limited to the point he's nearly only a special teams guy.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Wow! Dallas signs back up depth for the SS position and suddenly he is better than what we have. I hope people realize George Iloka would get smoked by Heath in the 40. Come on man this is just a depth signing.
4.66 vs 4.48

Heath is bottom of the barrel, who cares about his 40. He still sucks.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Pretty obvious imo. Slower, an in the box S, and most glaring....3rd team in less than a year. Zimmer didn’t even keep him.
They didn’t sign him to be anything other than an in the box S. He’ll be a situational player if he makes the team.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Iloka was viewed as a steady presence and a leader in Cincinnati. It was his contract that forced them to cut him; otherwise he would still be a Bengal.

Exactly. He averaged 75 tackles a season, then the Bengals drafted a Safety in the second round before a season Iloka would have a cap hit of 8 Million dollars.

There is no shame in being a solid starter who isn't an 8MM a season Safety. Especially if Dallas is getting him for a low price after the top tier guys soaked up all the overpayment offers.