Signed by Cowboys Safety George Iloka signed

AbeBeta

Reaction score
We haven’t had a real safety since Roy Williams. And you can’t have safeties like that any more. They seem to just want to use a corners as safeties. They don’t value the position. Like they seem to never want a big DT. I am guessing they got a box safety because of the run stopping.

You mean we haven't played a linebacker at safety since Roy Williams?

Let's not confuse "real" with modern. The position changed league wide.

Perhaps, for your next post, you can bemoan the lack of a battering ram style fullback.

Londonboy

Reaction score

Perhaps, for your next post, you can bemoan the lack of a battering ram style fullback.
Yup, too often "Box Safety" is used as a Euphemism for "couldn't cover His bed with a blanket"

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Don’t disrespect that man.
He had multiple 5 interception years.
His worst year as a starter for us, he still would’ve tied for the team lead this past year in interceptions.
He was a first team all pro.
Pro bowl 5/6 years here back before the pro bowl ended up going to 2/3rds of the league.

Just because he could hit harder than a LB and was big in his last year or two here, he was still more apt at finding the ball than our current defenders or any defender we’ve had recently outside Sean Lee, who is clearly an anomaly as a great coverage LB.

glimmerman

Reaction score

That’s why I said teams can’t have a safety like that anymore. The hits he laid on players then would draw a flag everytime now.

And we haven’t used a fullback in a while. Moose days are gone.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Don’t disrespect that man.
He had multiple 5 interception years.
His worst year as a starter for us, he still would’ve tied for the team lead this past year in interceptions.
He was a first team all pro.
Pro bowl 5/6 years here back before the pro bowl ended up going to 2/3rds of the league.

Just because he could hit harder than a LB and was big in his last year or two here, he was still more apt at finding the ball than our current defenders or any defender we’ve had recently outside Sean Lee, who is clearly an anomaly as a great coverage LB.
He kept fear in WR league wide. No one wanted to go over the middle when he was playing. For years you could watch our games and just wait to see who got knocked out.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
He kept fear in WR league wide. No one wanted to go over the middle when he was playing. For years you could watch our games and just wait to see who got knocked out.

My favorite player ever. Combination of how old I wAs and the way he played and my favorite number.

The day I interacted with him on twitter years ago made me feel like a schoolgirl. I must’ve had 6 of his jerseys.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

LOL what? Is that what Sean Taylor was as well, just a "linebacker"?

Safeties looked like linebackers because they were allowed to make big hits then.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
tired of hearing talk of depth..its asinine as HELL. This aint the NBA where depth is key and you have like 100 games. We only get 16 of these each year. FIND A BLASTED STARTER AT SAFETY!!

Do you guys not realize that we can’t keep all of our guys and pay starter money at our positions of need?!

This is the salary cap era - every team is going to have holes.

Thank goodness you guys aren’t making the calls - we’d be the Giants.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not sure he even starts

To keep the draft honest, Dallas likes to patch (not completely fix) obvious areas of need...to take maybe prevent emotions taking over and reaching on draft day.

However, none of these offseason acquisitions prevent them from drafting players at those positions. None of them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Do you guys not realize that we can’t keep all of our guys and pay starter money at our positions of need?!

This is the salary cap era - every team is going to have holes.

Thank goodness you guys aren’t making the calls - we’d be the Giants.
we only play 16 regular season games. Cant pay everyone is right. AGREE.But at what point do we fix safety?...20 years and counting...

817Gill

Reaction score
Guess this makes safety an unlikely selection at 58.......apparently they don't think S at 58 would be an upgrade.
Not what that means haha if you follow the team closely they like having no pressing needs so they can draft ‘purely’ on a BPA basis. With Iloka and hopefullt Quinn, we won’t be pigeon holed into taking 1 position. That being said S and DL are the most likely BPA positions at 58, working perfectly in our favor.